Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Re: Miscellaneous Pictures - Indian Military

Post by Surya »

lol nikhil - kancha does not need any teaching on need of camo.

He is just saying the variations in camo are not a big deal.

And unfortunately I have heard quite a few jawans purchase it from open market (not really open - certain known official vendors) - not sure the exact reasons - RayC miht be able elaborate
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

I think germans have designed better camo wear than americans,
but my view is that a good camo wear decreases the need of too many lesser developed camos
only a guess,but gurus should tell more.
Imagegerman flektam
Imageamerican general purpose
^^both are woody camos
Imagedigital camo used by us marines and the pla
Indian army camo
Last edited by Samay on 12 Jun 2009 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

^^ To maintain uniformity in the uniform as sum sir desires to see, one has to ensure that there is just one vendor who is supplying whatever be the authorised pattern to the troops - and needless to say, the best agency to do that would be the corps of ordnance.

However, to ensure uniformity subsequently would mean firstly supplying adequate number of such uniforms to the troops as they would normally require (and not as per the normally frugal scales as are laid down) and ensuring that quick replacements are available as and when required, which is apparently not the case. What else can explain the need for the jawans to go to the markets to procure extra sets of uniforms that they need. This is the reason for different patterns as seen from time to time.
nikhil_p
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by nikhil_p »

Surya wrote:lol nikhil - kancha does not need any teaching on need of camo.

He is just saying the variations in camo are not a big deal.

And unfortunately I have heard quite a few jawans purchase it from open market (not really open - certain known official vendors) - not sure the exact reasons - RayC miht be able elaborate
My bad...kancha no offence meant...Well regarding the open market, i havent seen any guys buying...however last year, we had a stage show and needed a person to wear army uniform. We went to the local dresswala (rent)...the dress we got had OFB produce written all over it...(inside seams) even the cloth on the inside was stamped with the OFB logo...Weird but true...
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

We went to the local dresswala (rent)...the dress we got had OFB produce written all over it...(inside seams) even the cloth on the inside was stamped with the OFB logo...Weird but true...
That is the problem...
The IA had cracked down and tried to get single camo to ensure that terrorists wearing some random army camo wouldn't be mistaken for IA (happened during a few fidayeen attacks in J&K a few years back).

A casual glance of any encounter site and one can see 4-5 varieties of camo personnel roaming around making it easy for a potential terrorist to sneak in since any sort of camo will not look out of place if so many varieties are moving around.
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

^^ sum sir, the army can do only so much. The rules and regulations regarding the scales authorized are finally vetted and approved by the civilian babus. I am sure that the ordnance will be issuing only a single pattern of camos to the jawans. But the requirement of such uniforms that see a lot of rough handling will definitely be more than what is issued.

The issue is not about only a single pattern across the army, but about a crackdown on people who still make even authentic camos available in the open market for uses such as fancy dresses or in militancy. This is to a large extent, also the job of the police in areas where the cloth is prepared by the dealers and part of it diverted for other uses.

On a lighter side, none of the three patterns displayed as Indian Army Camos in Samay's post seem to be the authentic ordnance approved pattern of indian army camos :D
Last edited by kancha on 14 Jun 2009 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Pranay
BRFite

Post by Pranay »

http://www.expressbuzz.com/Images/artic ... 4_navy.jpg

Poor formation... every cadet is holding the rifle differently. No uniformity of posture... Should give the chills to anyone inspecting them...

http://www.bharatrakshak.com/NEWS/newsr ... wsid=10908
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Pranay wrote:http://www.expressbuzz.com/Images/artic ... 4_navy.jpg

Poor formation... every cadet is holding the rifle differently. No uniformity of posture... Should give the chills to anyone inspecting them...
I am thoroughly impressed at your ability to make a detailed analysis from a single photo exposure showing a moment in time lasting about 1/250th of a second. Keep the flag flying high! It shows why Indians are feared competitors wherever they go.
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Its likely the image shown is random one. Artilce says 7 pilots passed out while picture has 9 or so.

Nevertheless, more uniformity is welcomed.
KiranM
BRFite

Post by KiranM »

shiv wrote:

I am thoroughly impressed at your ability to make a detailed analysis from a single photo exposure showing a moment in time lasting about 1/250th of a second. Keep the flag flying high! It shows why Indians are feared competitors wherever they go.
It is my guess that this photo was taken when the cadets were moving the rifle from 'down' to 'up' position. Hence, the 'non-uniformity'..

My 2 cents
Ajit.C
BRFite

Post by Ajit.C »

Check the shoulder patch and the caps - I think they are sailors and not cadets
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

KiranM wrote: It is my guess that this photo was taken when the cadets were moving the rifle from 'down' to 'up' position. Hence, the 'non-uniformity'..

My 2 cents
Exactly. This is what it looks like to me, The photo has been taken in a transitional nearly there position when they briefly come to rest before moving to the final position.

As always on BR there are two things that occur:

1) A photographer publishes a photo that is not of immaculate PR value - i.e men in chappals, something out of line, people pushing a plane, cables on floor, peeling paint.

2) BRfites use that photo to be critical - no disciplne, poor standards etc.

This happens time and again. (And I am always pointing that out :D )

The only "way out" is for India media to remember to tell white lies - like the Chinese and Pakistani media. The editors need to pick out immaculate photos out of the 200 or whatever number a typical photographer exposes at a given function.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

After a long time, we are again having the "Chappal-Scooter_Helmet-LCA_orange_cap_on_tail" debate on the B-R Misc. Pics thread! Happens with amazing regularity every other year on B-R, Allah be praised! :rotfl:
shiv wrote:The only "way out" is for India media to remember to tell white lies - like the Chinese and Pakistani media. The editors need to pick out immaculate photos out of the 200 or whatever number a typical photographer exposes at a given function.
This is the crux of the problem:
(a) Our DDM as usual have no clue what is going on in the pic and hence cannot judge which is the more appropriate pic to publish.
(b) In terms of PR, we are in the stone ages as shiv ji pointed out.
(c) And even if we have a great achievement which nobody can question, we are 400% eager to bashfully run down our achievement to show 'fairness' and Gandhian modesty. :roll:
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

No Combat Ready Unit ever passed an inspection
No Inspection Ready Unit ever passed combat

My... god ... we don't have anything else to talk .. what next ... their guns were out of alignment by a few micro cm.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Great bunch of pix - thanks.
Sharma
BRFite

Post by Sharma »

Even this place needs it so why not our cities...........If they are doing it why should not we......

Siachen Transit Camp near North Pullu
Sharma
BRFite

Post by Sharma »

NH 1-A
cbelwal

Post by cbelwal »

Sign on a tree by the 99 Mountain Brigade ( Chaubatia, Uttarakhand ). Sums up the Indian Army jawan pretty good.

Angre
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Angre »

Here's a beautiful snap of the LCA from SA's blog.
Posting a link: LCA
viveks
BRFite

Post by viveks »

sharmaji thoda ghum ke aye hain....
JaiS
Forum Moderator

Post by JaiS »

viveks, when posting in a language other than english, please also post an english translation for the benefit of those members who do not speak the language of the original post, thanks.

Photos: Unified Commanders Conference 2009
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

JaiS wrote:viveks, when posting in a language other than english, please also post an english translation for the benefit of those members who do not speak the language of the original post, thanks.

Photos: Unified Commanders Conference 2009
Talking about languages, whats going on in this photo?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o_no4M2xEPY/S ... 787888.jpg

RM is speaking in Malayalam or something? Why does the audience need headphones (assuming translation is going on)? I tell you ...these mallus are crazy. :D
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

George J wrote:
RM is speaking in Malayalam or something? Why does the audience need headphones (assuming translation is going on)? I tell you ...these mallus are crazy. :D
George mone - you are the craziest mallu of them all. It is obviously an interactive session and every one of those dudes has a mike in front of him. So each and every one can use his headphones to hear what someone in the audience says without the latter having to shout or walk up to a mike.
parshuram
BRFite

Post by parshuram »

Few From My personal Database during my visit to leh and J& K -08

War memorial At Keari Ladhak

IL-76 landing at Leh

Army Convoy to Siachen Base Camp

George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

shiv wrote:George mone - you are the craziest mallu of them all. It is obviously an interactive session and every one of those dudes has a mike in front of him. So each and every one can use his headphones to hear what someone in the audience says without the latter having to shout or walk up to a mike.
Ok I'll bite, so according to that pic, RM ji is clearly speaking and HALF the audience including the backbenchers have decided they DON'T want to at least pretend to listen to the boss? Not everyone is wearing headphones.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

George J wrote: Ok I'll bite, so according to that pic, RM ji is clearly speaking and HALF the audience including the backbenchers have decided they DON'T want to at least pretend to listen to the boss? Not everyone is wearing headphones.
OK have it your way. The people not wearing earphones can understand Mayalalam :D
George J
BRFite

Post by George J »

:D
AFAIK there is only one Sikh who understands/speaks Malayalam and he happens to be an IAS officer (must have retired by now) but in this pic there seems to be at least one other officer (see Naval Officer on Right) who seems to understand Malayalam.

I told you these mallus are crazy.
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

It is obviously an interactive session and every one of those dudes has a mike in front of him.
Not really. Some possible reasons...

-The RM is speaking in Malayalam. Adm.S.Mehta speaks fluent Malayalam, as do Gen.Singh and V.Adm.Singh. ACM.Naik and Gen Deepak don't. 8) :lol:

Maybe not, let's try this one.

-RM is trying out his Russian. Adm.Mehta, Gen.Singh and V.Adm.Singh can decipher what he is trying to say. Gen.Kapoor and ACM Naik, fluent in Russian, aren't sure if it's anything like they have ever hard, and are instead having the interpreter hotline. :eek:

-Damn...ACM Naik and Gen.Kapoor confiscated their grandchildren's Ipods, and they never realised it sounds so good. :mrgreen:
AFAIK there is only one Sikh who understands/speaks Malayalam and he happens to be an IAS officer...
That's excluding all the Sikhs I used to know in Madras and Cochin (heckuva lot) who spoke absolute rickshawala-worthy patois, and also not to forget a couple of my friends who serve with the MEG, that made it in my SSB while I didn't :(
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

nikhil_p wrote: My bad...kancha no offence meant...Well regarding the open market, i havent seen any guys buying...however last year, we had a stage show and needed a person to wear army uniform. We went to the local dresswala (rent)...the dress we got had OFB produce written all over it...(inside seams) even the cloth on the inside was stamped with the OFB logo...Weird but true...
Anyone familiar with Lal Bazaar in Hyderabad Cantonment Area on the way to alwal/hakimpet airport? During my school days there, I remember very well an ex-serviceman shop sells military stuff like uniforms, berets, insignias, boots, caps, patches etc. I am neither sure if that shop is certified by OFB or any non military people can buy them? does one needs to show the army id to buy stuff there?

Thanks to Vivek and Sharma...nice pics..IL 76 landing is beautiful with that background.. :twisted:
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Venkarl wrote: Anyone familiar with Lal Bazaar in Hyderabad Cantonment Area on the way to alwal/hakimpet airport? During my school days there, I remember very well an ex-serviceman shop sells military stuff like uniforms, berets, insignias, boots, caps, patches etc. I am neither sure if that shop is certified by OFB or any non military people can buy them? does one needs to show the army id to buy stuff there?
You dont need an army id . I am in good terms with a couple of those guys and they know I am a 'collector' .sometimes they keep the good stuff seperate for me.
Venkarl
BRFite

Post by Venkarl »

damn..I used to smoke sipping tea after a nice samosa right beside that shop...never thought of asking that uncle assuming that civvies cannot buy them....lucky you
kancha
BRFite

Post by kancha »

Venkarl wrote:damn..I used to smoke sipping tea after a nice samosa right beside that shop...never thought of asking that uncle assuming that civvies cannot buy them....lucky you
As per the existing rules, the shopkeeper is supposed to sell such stuff only to faujis. For that he is well within his rights to ask for identity proof, in fact he is supposed to do so. However, like all typical laws of this land, enforcement of this too is lax. And this leads to misuse of the army uniforms by the militants.

Jagan, just check if he displays a message saying that uniforms and other accouterments are not supposed to be sold to civilians, or some such message.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

Nah , no such messages. most of these guys are tailors and local shops. I doubt if there is any regulations on these guys. There are a couple of big stores / suppliers in town and even they dont check.

what also happens is that there is a lot of trading that happen within the shops. a small time tailor might buy the stuff fom the bigger shop to stich uniforms. so there is no way of tracking or regulating all sales.
Gerard
Forum Moderator

Post by Gerard »

Women cadets celebrate the Combined Graduation passing out parade at the Air Force Academy in Dundigal, Hyderabad on Saturday.
JE Menon
Forum Moderator

Post by JE Menon »

You guys missed the most obvious one: RM is speaking Hindi :twisted:
Neilz
BRFite

Post by Neilz »

Have a look at the appearence of the SPG next to PM. Man we need him for a next bond movie.. or better we can create a indian 007

http://mod.nic.in/samachar/feb01-05/image_n/12b.gif
kaangeya
BRFite

Post by kaangeya »

Have a look at the appearence of the SPG next to PM. Man we need him for a next bond movie.. or better we can create a indian 007
The next Bond movie villain, with those other two generals as the "Boss!"
Women cadets celebrate the Combined Graduation passing out parade at the Air Force Academy in Dundigal, Hyderabad on Saturday.
What's Combined about it?
Mihir
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Mihir »

kaangeya wrote:
What's Combined about it?
This graduation parade is for the completion of pre-commissioning training for cadets joining all branches of the air force.