INS Arihant (ATV) Launch News and Discussion

Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Re: INS Arihant (ATV) Launch News and Discussion

Post by Raja Bose »

Maybe DDM think that is how a sub is launched....using an auto rickshaw :mrgreen:
pushkar.bhat
BRFite

Post by pushkar.bhat »

mohan wrote:Times Now is claiming to show the video of Arihant - it looks different from the graphic..

http://www.timesnow.tv/

Mohan
They are showing the old Foxtrot and claiming that its the Arihant.
mohan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mohan »

tsriram wrote:They're still showing the same 'museum'ed sub at vizag and claiming it to be the Arihant :twisted:

Thank you - that makes more sense. I was trying to figure out how and why it was completely out on the surface, outside the SBC..
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Raja Bose wrote:
shiv wrote:So far this is the best image of the ATV released anywhere. I have scoured all TV channels and could not find a better image

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3938/19946657.jpg
shiv, I am going to kill you for making me almost die laughing :mrgreen: :rotfl: :rotfl:

PS: You forgot in your image that the 1st VIP (one breaking the coconut) doesn't wear pants.
Pant, that picture doesnt even make it look like a madamji :P
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

boo hoo ! :(( this wait is killing me !
I even watched whole episode of the foodie eating parathas throughout the route from delhi to chandigarh waiting for some snippet ! :((
DD is showing nana patekar's prahar right now.
Nikhil T
BRFite

Post by Nikhil T »

Keep watching Times Now, their correspondent Srinjoy is in Vizag and is going to be on the phone line to describe the ceremonies...He's having problems with the phone connection :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

The sub is to be launched by introducing it to the water. How on earth would a landlocked sub be the Arihant? Sea launched by sliding off the backside of an autorickshaw? :rotfl:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Ah some news well I can confirm its not like Akula or Charlie , but what ever it is like it will be a pleasant surprise .....
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

mohan wrote:
tsriram wrote:They're still showing the same 'museum'ed sub at vizag and claiming it to be the Arihant :twisted:

Thank you - that makes more sense. I was trying to figure out how and why it was completely out on the surface, outside the SBC..
plus, why was there a tiny gate and an auto rickshaw driving thru that?!
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Guess what it more looks like , has an interesting sail design for sure :wink:
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Austin wrote:Guess what it more looks like , has an interesting sail design for sure :wink:
Diving planes like wings of an airplane eh? To enable the sub to launch itself and be airborne for a while like the flying fish? :lol:
Last edited by prashanth on 26 Jul 2009 13:15, edited 1 time in total.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

mohan wrote:Times Now is claiming to show the video of Arihant - it looks different from the graphic..

http://www.timesnow.tv/

Mohan
What's a beggar doing in front of the claimed "Arihant", or they one those disguised agents! And that auto is the one in which the PM arrived. Him and his wife sitting in the font and all the security on the roof of the rickshaw! And of course all the DDM people are responsible to take the sub, which on land, to the sea!

How dumb can the media get! :eek: :eek:
asbchakri
BRFite

Post by asbchakri »

Austin wrote:Guess what it more looks like , has an interesting sail design for sure :wink:
Austin if u know something please spill it out man . Do u have any idea of our condition now :x
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Dont forget...TimesNow is claiming the launch of INS Arihant is happening at the ENC Airbase! :shock:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

In a way India managed to keep the lid tight , GOI ke jai ho
In a way the media graphics has been proven wrong

They keep showing that Foxtrot , has any one been inside that submarine museum ?
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Austin wrote:They keep showing that Foxtrot , has any one been inside that submarine museum ?
Long back I did. Remember a gas turbine cut out with a picture with lights that glow when you push a button to show what happens. Also remember some tank like thingie for oxygen supply during diving.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

We jingos are a weird lot no? First we yell at GoI to keep secrecy lid tight, then we yell at GoI and DDM for not showing the pics of the real stuff. What to do, we are like this onlee. :mrgreen:
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

asbchakri wrote:
Austin if u know something please spill it out man . Do u have any idea of our condition now :x
I understand and I should be lashed Taliban style for keeping my brothers in dark , but I for some reason cannot for now , but be happy its a interesting sub with an interesting sail design
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Anujan wrote:
Austin wrote:They keep showing that Foxtrot , has any one been inside that submarine museum ?
Long back I did. Remember a gas turbine cut out with a picture with lights that glow when you push a button to show what happens. Also remember some tank like thingie for oxygen supply during diving.
Gas turbine? :-?
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

I have been inside a foxtrot. The S-22 Khanderi.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Austin wrote:In a way India managed to keep the lid tight , GOI ke jai ho
In a way the media graphics has been proven wrong

They keep showing that Foxtrot , has any one been inside that submarine museum ?
grrr.... austin why are you talking about foxtrot when you have chaiwala news on ATV !
share with us !
:evil:
Anant
BRFite

Post by Anant »

Pump Jet Propulsor? What? The suspense is killing me. Ahh what the heck, its 3 am here so I got to hit the hay. I'll scroll the 30+pages of posts tomorrow. Austin, I envy you.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Raja Bose wrote:Gas turbine? :-?
Yup. Gas turbine. With a whole lot of other things with no central theme. Including a navy guy who appeared out of nowhere and said something about Officers vs Sailors. It was one surreal experience. But lets not even go there, celebrate our Arihanth instead.

I have been inside Sindhukesari and manned the gun in Sukanya. Experiences include throwing up on the bridge of Sukanya (diesel fumes and sea sickness get you), not being able to hear anything after the first round of her gun went off, and reading a chart inside Sindhukesari about how paki boats look in the periscope :mrgreen:
Last edited by Anujan on 26 Jul 2009 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Drevin
BRFite

Post by Drevin »

Yes got to agree .... this is secrecy at its best. :) Can you imagine the only civvies who have seen this sub are the PM and his entourage. :twisted: just superb.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Rahul M wrote:boo hoo ! :(( this wait is killing me !
I even watched whole episode of the foodie eating parathas throughout the route from delhi to chandigarh waiting for some snippet ! :((
DD is showing nana patekar's prahar right now.
It's now running the "Leading Ladies of the 80s"! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

Austin also had that chaiwala's news on the 4 Akulas, two on a rotating basis.
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

Prime Minister's remarks on the occasion of the launch of the Advanced Technology Vehicle - PIB

Following is the text of remarks made by the Prime Minister, Dr Manmohan Singh on the occasion of the launch of the Advanced Technology Vehicle, India's first indigenous nuclear powered submarine-

“I am honoured to be present here today on the occasion of the launch of India's first indigenous nuclear powered submarine.

I congratulate the ATV Programme and all personnel associated with it for achieving a historic milestone in the country's defence preparedness. Today's launch is a reflection of the immense technical expertise that exists in our country and the strength of our research and development organisations. More importantly, the launch represents the determination and patriotism of our technologists, scientists and defence personnel who have overcome several hurdles and barriers to enable the country to acquire self-reliance in the most advanced areas of defence technology.

The construction of a submarine is a highly demanding task by itself. For the country to develop its first nuclear submarine is a special achievement. Today we join a select group of five nations who possess the capability to build a nuclear powered submarine.

I am particularly glad that this submarine is the outcome of a productive public-private partnership. Private industry in India has evolved considerably during the last few decades and we should leverage its strengths to achieve our defence goals. I would also like to express our appreciation to our Russian friends for their consistent and invaluable cooperation, which symbolizes the close strategic partnership that we enjoy with Russia.

The sea is increasingly becoming relevant in the context of India's security interests and we must re-adjust our military preparedness to this changing environment. Our Navy has a huge responsibility in this regard.

The Government is fully committed to ensuring the defence of our national interests and the protection of our territorial integrity. We will continue to render all support to the constant modernization of our armed forces and to ensuring that they remain at the cutting edge of technology.

We do not have any aggressive designs nor do we seek to threaten anyone. We seek an external environment in our region and beyond that is conducive to our peaceful development and the protection of our value systems. Nevertheless it is incumbent upon us to take all measures necessary to safeguard our country and to keep pace with technological advancements worldwide. It has rightly been said that eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

The years of hard work, dedication and perseverance that have gone into today's launch are an example worthy of emulation. They show that no task is difficult and that there is no greater power than the power of self-belief. I am confident that the lessons learnt from this launch will enable the ATV Programme to achieve even better results in the coming years.

With these few words, I once again congratulate all the organisations and personnel who have been involved in the ATV Programme and on behalf of the country, wish them continued success in the future.”
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

Jai Hind!
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Where are the pictures! PIB is one of a small number of organizations having access and permit to take pictures of Arihant!
dinesha
BRFite

Post by dinesha »

The 6000-tonne submarine is powered by an 85 megawatt capacity nuclear reactor and can acquire surface speeds of 22 to 28 kmph (12-15 knots) and submerged speed upto 44 kmph (24 knots). It will be carrying a crew of 95 men and will be armed with torpedoes and missiles including 12 ballistic missiles.

Four more nuclear-powered submarine of this class have already got government's nod and these would add to the Navy's underwater combat potential in the years to come.

http://www.timesnow.tv/INS-Arihant-form ... 323142.cms
pkudva
BRFite

Post by pkudva »

wow,i loved the fact that PM appreciated the russian work also in this programme.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

Guys I dont claim to know more or any thing like that , even suspense is killing me
But from what I have been told if true then our ATV is not based or looks like Akula or Charlie ..... may be one can classify as more modern design we may see with an interesting Sail design.

Regarding the 4 Akula , its confusing coz two trustworthy people say two different thing from a single onlee Akula-2 to 3-4 Akula-2 , as usual GOI is keeping it tight lid.
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

BBC has posted this image and caption in it's article on ATV launch just 10 minutes back ------

Indian Premier Singh attended the first nuclear-powered submarine launching ceremony
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

^^
picture from wreath laying ceremony at Amar javan jyothi?
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Well I left a comment on the timesnow website asking them not to mislead viewers by showing them pics of a decommissioned foxtrot. Now it says "Comment will appear on website after sometime". Pretty sure it'll never appear.
Had to try anyways.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Our babus can keep the suspense alive when they feel like it. :mrgreen: For the last 2 hours we have been seeing videos and pictures of everything from fat turds, dog turds, Foxtrots, Kilo class to MMS saluting and Gursharan kissing but no pics of the one we seek :mrgreen:
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

nachiket wrote:Well I left a comment on the timesnow website asking them not to mislead viewers by showing them pics of a decommissioned foxtrot. Now it says "Comment will appear on website after sometime". Pretty sure it'll never appear.
Had to try anyways.
I did that more than half an hour back....they still havent put that one. Hopefully they will put up your comment.
Austin
BRF Oldie

Post by Austin »

So now we know its modeled on Borei with a slow but streamlined hump :wink:
Gagan
BRF Oldie

Post by Gagan »

It has a Borei class like forward slanting sail !

Or a scorpene like sail?

I think the former.
csharma
BRFite

Post by csharma »

I did not find anything on bbc and cnn on this. Can't believe this.