PRC Economy and Industry: News and Discussions

The Technology & Economic Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to Technological and Economic developments in India. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Re: PRC Economy and Industry: News and Discussions

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Doubting the sincerity of Google's threat

http://neteffect.foreignpolicy.com/post ... les_threat
So, I don't really understand all the enthusiasm about Google's move. Can anyone really make a coherent argument that by threatening to leave China because of cyberattacks, they are doing the right thing for the right reason? I'd very much like to hear it.
zlin
BRFite

Post by zlin »

SAN FRANCISCO (GenomeWeb News) – Illumina officials today unveiled a brand
new sequencer that includes a variety of upgraded features over its Genome
Analyzer and announced that it had received its first order for the system
— 128 of them — from China's BGI.

The launch of the HiSeq 2000 was a focal point of Illumina President and CEO
Jay Flatley's presentation here today at the JP Morgan Healthcare
Conference. He also provided preliminary fourth-quarter and 2009 revenue
figures, and said that the firm's new OmniExpress chip should help
revitalize a sagging genome-wide association studies field.

The announcement of the BGI order caused a stir in the presentation room, as
Flatley laid out the capabilities of the new system, which he said would
enable BGI to sequence 11,000 human genomes per year. The HiSeq has two flow
cells, instead of the one on the Genome Analyzer, and is capable of 200
gigabases per run, said Flatley. It also offers remote monitoring
capabilities and plug and play reagents.

According to Flatley, the system brings the cost of sequencing a human
genome to the sub-$10,000 level.

Flatley said that the HiSeq "opens the arms race" for high-throughput
sequencing. The system has a list price of $690,000, with double the reagent
costs of the Genome Analyzer due to the extra flow cell. Genome Analyzer
reagent costs were $100,000 to $200,000 per year, depending on use.

Illumina will begin shipments of the HiSeq next month, and the firm
anticipates a trade-in program from customers currently using the Genome
Analyzer. However, Flatley said the GA will remain on the market.

He also said that the eventual commercialization of technology from Avantome
, which Illumina acquired last year, will target the low end of the
sequencing market, providing the firm with entries across the price spectrum.

BGI Order

The BGI order is the largest single order Illumina has received for its
sequencers, it said. The majority of the units will go to BGI's new genome
center in Hong Kong. Illumina plans to begin installing the units in the
first quarter of this year and the remaining instruments will be delivered
over the following three quarters.

Flatley said during a Q&A session after his presentation that the revenues
associated with the BGI order will be amortized over three years. However,
the firm is not providing financial details.

BGI, which is headquartered in Shenzhen and has branches in other cities,
changed its name from Beijing Genomics Institute two years ago because it is
no longer exclusively located in Beijing.

BGI recently signed a long-term agreement with China Development Bank that
gives the institute $1.5 billion in funding. The institute said that it
plans to use to build research and application platforms for healthcare,
agriculture, bio-energy, and other uses.

"Our goal is to build partnerships and collaborations around the world that
contribute to the overall improvement of our global society," BGI's VP
Xiuging Zhang said in a statement.

"Creating solutions that enhance agriculture and food production, for
example, are a key focus for us, as well as more region-specific programs,
such as the development of the personal genomics field in China."

BeadChip Launch

In addition to the HiSeq 2000, Flatley highlighted the launch this week of
the OmniExpress BeadChip. The new 12-sample chip enables researchers to
interrogate more than 700,000 variants per sample, according to the firm.
Using Illumina's iScan System, customers that run OmniExpress chips can
process around 1,400 samples per week.

Flatley believes the new chip will help revive the GWAS market, which slowed
considerably last year.

Flatley also announced unaudited fourth-quarter revenues of $176 million,
above the roughly $168 million predicted by analysts. Illumina has decided
to stop providing quarterly guidance, Flatley said today. But he said that
the firm expects 2010 revenue growth of at least 20 percent.

Investors responded favorably to Illumina's announcements on Tuesday. At
close of market, shares in the company were trading on Nasdaq at $39.17, a
15.8 percent increase from Monday's closing price of $33.82.
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

hehe, another "India will"
In 2008, India will likely overtake China as the world's fastest growing economy and become one of the largest economies globally. Direct foreign investment has increased dramatically in recent years and the pace of activity continues to quicken as large private equity funds and big corporations look for new revenue growth. The middle class is expected to grow from 90 million individuals today to 351 million individuals by 2010, and the retail market is expected to grow from $300 billion today to $637 billion by 2015. Riding the Indian Tiger gives individuals and organizations a detailed picture of the economic opportunities India has to offer.
It is already 2010, please......

All these "India will" books are on the basis of the following "advantages" of India, compared with China.

- Younger population
- Faster growing population
- Higher service share of GDP
- Lower export

Common guys, almost any black African countries owns all of the above advantages over China!
The only difference between them and India is that their population are even younger and growing faster...

OK, i forget the biggest advantage of India and Africa countries over China, democracy.

Yeah, according to those western people, almost all African countries are more democracy than China, hehe.

The comparison of China and India, is just the old comparison of Taiwan, Korea, Singapore with the Philipeans, in the 1960s. The latter was more democratic and even richer by then.......

SwamyG wrote:Some folks might be interested to know why or how India will outperform China. Riding Indian Tiger : Understanding India - The World's Largest Growing Market

The google books has a limited preview - Check out Chapter 3 that starts from Page 65.
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Looks like the only thing China does not mass produce is babies :mrgreen:
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

Katare wrote:
abhischekcc wrote:I keep hearing about China's USD 2 trillion hoard as if it is a magic wand that will make every problem China has disappear. The hoard is really a millstone around their necks - what will they do with that hoard if demand for dollar weakens? If they try to dump the dollar, they will end up hurting themselves.
You may be right but I can't resist asking that if you have got $2 trillion in surplus cash and counting, do you really need a magic wand? :mrgreen:
The problem China faces is this - for the past 20 years, their people have been slaving away for the US, and the only thing they have to show for it is this mountain heap of paper. But the money is denominated in the currency of their chief rival - the US, which can inflate away the purchasing power of that money at will. IOW, whatever China has earned in the past 20 years is at the mercy of the US. This is what is going to happen in the US now when hyper inflation takes over. That is why US authorities are only giving lip service as the dollar continues to erode.

Why do you think RBI bought 200 tonnes of gold - to get away from the dollar.

The only thing China can do with $2 trillion is sell it. If China tries to dump dollars in the market, it will erode the value of its hoard on its own. China has no leverage over the US with its $2t.

They are f*cked. They just don't know it yet.

-------------

What is even more galling is that they had the example of Japan to warn them, and they didn't take the hint :eek:

Stupid communists :)
ArmenT
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by ArmenT »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Doubting the sincerity of Google's threat

http://neteffect.foreignpolicy.com/post ... les_threat
So, I don't really understand all the enthusiasm about Google's move. Can anyone really make a coherent argument that by threatening to leave China because of cyberattacks, they are doing the right thing for the right reason? I'd very much like to hear it.
Word from the ground earlier today is that Google China's employees were told not to come in to work and were all given free tickets to go watch Avatar in a neighboring theater. The employees aren't too sure what's going to happen, but there seems to be some backroom negotiating going on.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

abhischekcc wrote: Stupid communists :)
it is a "who will bell the cat situation"
No CCP leader worth his salt will be willing to lose face by declaring publicly about the fakup.
most likely at the opportune moment the current leadership will handover power to their internal opponents
in the CCP to be the fall guy, then there will be loud cry of incompetency by the retired crowd, and
they shall reelect themselves or their cronies. this way the current leadership will ensure their rule
for many generations to come. all eej well & great onlee,no?
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Ah well. Happy Makar Shankaranti /Pongal /Bihu/Lohri to all folks here. But what is is this doing in the PRC economy thread ?

Well, it seems that the Chinese too have the exact same festival called 冬至 Dongzhi festival. Sure sure.. Whether you call it Christmas or it's original pre Christian name in Europe, or Shankaranti or whatever it is called from all cultures from Japan to Ancient Maya in South America, everyone is celebrating the same thing, ie. the Winter Solstice . So Happy 冬至 to the Chini posters here .

But why in the economy thread ? Becuase the Kumbh Mela started today in India.. It is usually is the single largest collection of people anywhere in the world at a given point in time. In 2001, 60 million people attended.. Think of it. Something like entire population of a place of something like France gathered at one place.

There is a story here.Whichever way you want to look at it. True.. True.. Folks here would come and say that Beijing folks and people in other cities were told to stay indoors and watch the stuff on TV in the interest of not looking "cute" in the interest of harmony and "management" and "image" or "face" or "shame" or whatever. Yawnn. Think of it. And then you bust a capillary and go red in the face saying 'Can you host an Olympics?' (The answer is yes, we can. But I fervently hope and pray that we NEVER hope of those massive scams masquerading as "sport". I am pretty cut with the commonwealth games as it is. I think it is a travesty , but OT)

Yindus have 60 million people congreating once in 12 years. More than what the Cheenis in the Olympics in all events and all places put together I think. But that is really not the point here. Some 60 million congregate, including totally spaced out dudes who prefer to go Nekkid (Naked) and not wear clothes and all sort of folks, and no one bats an eyelid.

In China, some 100 Falun Gong types get together to do stretching excercises in the morning and the entire system is shaken "stability" is in peril and it is banned ,folks are thrown in jail and persecuted. Doesnt look like the workings of an economic and political super power to me, but rather a very fragile and insecure gaint with feet of clay.

Whether India becomes a "SOOPAH POWAH" or not, I think we are more confident in our skins and comfortable with who we are. WE can wear a dhoti and go out walking in the streets. Women can wear saris and go out. Do a similar thing in China and "Greater China" (including Taiwan, Singapore and HK), if you go out wearing traditional Chinese clothes and with similar value systems you will be looked an antediluvian and anochronistic relic and might be thrown into the slammer by the CPC Thugs for being "reactioanry" or whatever.

Ah well. Wrdos and Zlin and Prasanth et al. Is Dong Zhi and other stuff still celebrated in Mainland China or has it been banished as "superstition" and the only things left are May Day, Moa Ding Dong's Birthyday and Revolution Day or whatever ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

ET

Chinese net users mourn at Google HQ
14 Jan 2010, 1633 hrs IST, AGENCIES

BEIJING: Scrawled messages, flowers and offerings of fruit outside Google's Beijing headquarters mourned the passing of a loved one Thursday as
Internet users expressed defiance against China's web censorship.

"I don't know what I'll do without Google. I've come here to pay my respects to Google," said one of several paper messages placed on top of the company sign in front of the sleek, modern building in a high-tech park.

"Goodbye Google. You can build the wall, but you can't separate the hearts of the people. We want to see the other side of the wall," said another, apparently referring to the authorities' "Great Firewall of China".

"Freedom?" wrote one supporter, in English and Chinese, on a message nestled near a bouquet of flowers, a bottle of Chinese baijiu liquor, and some apples and oranges -- a typical offering when a loved one has died.

Google vowed Tuesday to stop bowing to Chinese Internet censors and risk banishment from the lucrative market, in protest against "highly sophisticated" cyberattacks aimed at Chinese human rights activists.

The authorities in the world's most populous nation regularly block content and websites they deem politically objectionable.

China on Thursday insisted the Internet was open, and said foreign web firms were welcome to do business in the world's third-largest economy -- "according to law".

A 27-year-old employee at an Internet company, who only gave his surname Zhang, said outside the Google headquarters that the Chinese authorities had gone too far in their policing of the web.

"In the last few years, it has become harder and harder to go around the Great Firewall. You have to spend more time and money," he said.

"If Google leaves China, I think that China has the capability to block all Google sites inside China... they will make a lot of people unhappy."

Zhang said the government often cited the dangers of ***** as its main reason for policing the Internet, but said he believed they were really concerned about political content.

"They talk about *****, but with 1.3 billion people, who has not seen *****?" he said.

Throughout the day, groups of young people walked past the building in Beijing's university district to read the messages, with many taking pictures or videotaping one another.

Not everyone at the Google site was supportive.

A man surnamed Cui, a worker at a software company in the area, said while he used Google's search engine every day, he did not think the company should be able to flout China's laws.

"Every nation restricts the Internet. China has its laws. If you want to leave China, it's your own business but you have to respect the laws here," he said.

Late in the day, someone left a 1950s Cold War propaganda poster depicting China's support for the former Soviet Union. It boasted a bold-print slogan: "American invaders must be defeated."
:twisted:
VikramS
BRFite

Post by VikramS »

wrdos wrote:hehe, another "India will"

OK, i forget the biggest advantage of India and Africa countries over China, democracy.

Yeah, according to those western people, almost all African countries are more democracy than China, hehe.

The comparison of China and India, is just the old comparison of Taiwan, Korea, Singapore with the Philipeans, in the 1960s. The latter was more democratic and even richer by then.......

There is a difference between how China calculates GDP and the rest of the world does. This has been pointed out a number of times. Plus with the government spending and lending more in 2009 than it had ever done before, the growth is bound to be there. The question is whether is sustainable. Further there are these inconsistencies with Chinese number: Growth near double digits but electricity consumption down 3%; More cars sold than the US but gasoline consumption flat. This is being reflected in the Baltic Dry Index which tracks Shangai Composite quite well. If things were gung-ho as before, the BDI shipping index would have been much higher.
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$BDI&p ... 9118855887

And the biggest challenge of it all is overcapacity. You can make new factories, build new highways, make new railways, but unless there is demand to recover those investments, there is going to be a problem down the road. In India the Return on Infrastructure investments is going to be a lot higher for some time to come; in China the law of diminishing return on infrastructure investments is going to kick in much sooner (if it hasn't already).

On a different note, I was a bit disappointed on the ban on the Prasanth. It is very convenient to use democracy as an excuse for everything India lags behind. Take land acquisitions for example. It is not just the leftist NGOs it is also the politicians who contribute to the problem. Land grab near up-coming projects is common. More a more streamlined system of land acquisitions and compensation can be developed but is not since too many people make money of the current mess. And I agree with him, that not being able to provide basic sanitation facilities is simply unacceptable. It does not cost much to install Shulabh toilets even if a city sewage connection is not available. However, Indians are willing to accept this (among others). It is perhaps OK to blame the remoteness of tribal areas to explain the lack of development there (and the subsequent growth of the Naxalites); but how do you explain that in the NCR??? Democracy should not become an excuse to hide the sheer callousness of the Indian society towards the basic needs of Indians.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

Hmm. The Google episode is probably the first shot of the looming trade war. The escalation is inexorable if the Chinese don't change course with their currency policy and the entire model of import substitution and building industry behind tariff walls and a mercantilist export economy.

The $2 Trillion reserves is right now a mill stone around China's neck. The way forward for China is to 1) Free the currency and let it float as per market rates 2) Implement full convertibility of the RMB .

What those two will do is 1) make terms of trade reflect true values and the deluge of Chinese exports in foreign markets will come down and make true and lasting peace with foreign trading partners and 2) Give an outlet to the Chinese people to invest in the places where they see best returns /see fit (away from the Chinese govt directed places) and deflate the very dangerous asset bubbles that are now inflating in China.

What that will mean that Chinese will become some 30% richer overnight ( I told you e-COn-O-Mix is largely Maya), purchasing power will increase, imports will increase , exports decrease and more of the Chinese population will start enjoying many of the "goods and services" that were denied/made unaffordable to them (foreign vacations, imported goods etc). Chinese people can buy assets all over the world (houses , business, shares and other assets all over the world ).

The problem for that is that it will mean that the ChiCom thugs will have to give up control over the day to day life of the Chinese people. The moment you let the savings of the Chinese poeple out of the iron grip of the party/govt and they start making independent decisions it will be "dangerous". Also, growth rates will moderate and it will not be as easy as earlier for the Chinese govt to rule by fiat and controls.

So there you have it. The elephant in the room . It is the CPC's insecurities and totalitarian impulses that threaten the world trading order and the Trade War when it breaks out will be their responsibility. If the CPC thugs think that that will be able to hunker down and ride it out, I think it will be a massive mistake. That Trade War could be the trigger that massively bust the Chinese Growth Bubble (which I think has all the hall marks of a giant Ponzi scheme, albeit one with unlimited liquidity coz the CPC can print currency)
amol.p
BRFite

Post by amol.p »

China 2009 FDI falls for first time since 2005

China's inbound foreign direct investment fell in 2009 for the first time in four years, with cash-strapped firms outside the country undoubtedly affected by the financial crisis.

China drew $90 billion from foreign companies investing in the country's factories and other productive assets in 2009, 2.6 percent less than in 2008, a Commerce Ministry spokesman said on Friday.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 447888.cms
amol.p
BRFite

Post by amol.p »

China Internet population hits 384 million

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE6 ... arketsNews
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

By the look of it, Obama's GOTUS is not supporting google in its struggle with China. Perhaps Chicaps have given too much money to the democratic party.

But all things said and done, this is an extreme loss of face for the Dragon. :mrgreen:
abhischekcc
BRF Oldie

Post by abhischekcc »

What? Waylan (Prasanth) has been banned again? Whowouldathunkit? :lol:
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Auto Expo: Fake Bosch parts found at China Pavilion
Auto spare parts disguised as those of Bangalore-based component manufacturer Bosch Ltd have been discovered at the Auto Expo 2010 held in the capital's Pragati Maidan. The fake parts were displayed at a stall in the China Pavilion, which houses 5,000 sq metres of exhibition stalls of numerous Chinese component manufacturers. The alleged high-end lighting products, fraudulently branded as Bosch's, were discovered recently by the latter's officials.

Bosch officials say the high-intensity beams are dangerous to both pedestrians and oncoming vehicles because the powerful lighting could blind the eyes. "It's also dangerous to the vehicle, since a high-intensity beam needs very high levels of energy to be lighted. A small short-circuit in the vehicle could blow up the entire car. We seized just one kit at the exhibitor's stall. We do not know how many consignments were stored in the in the city," :shock: said the official.

Business Standard reporters inspected the stall and the contraband. The exhibitor had vacated the premises since the morning. The alleged contraband bore the name Bosch. Domestic manufacturers say the level of sophistication is remarkable, as it has packaging identical to that of Bosch for its other automotive lighting systems.

Chinese delegates at the Pavilion told Business Standard they were not aware of counterfeit products at the Auto Expo. One manufacturer of piston rings who is a supplier to Chinese OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) said there may be instances of other counterfeit products finding their way in the Auto Expo but would not elaborate.
Nexxt Shupelpowel!!
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

Word from the ground earlier today is that Google China's employees were told not to come in to work and were all given free tickets to go watch Avatar in a neighboring theater
Word is that in the Google attack, there was insider help, presumably Google employees of Chinese origin . The attackers were after Google source code. All the attacks against the high tech companies were targeting IP theft.

Okay, I guess now with this sort of thing, a lot more companies will get paranoid of hiring Chinese.. sort of go the Intel way. Always heard strong rumors that Intel was not big into hiring Chinese..Intel is/was a major desi hiring shop though.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

vina wrote:Word is that in the Google attack, there was insider help, presumably Google employees of Chinese origin . The attackers were after Google source code.
If all they were interested in was the source code and they had insider help, then they would not need to risk this type of fallout because the insider could have shipped out the source code using a DVD or hard disk.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

^^^If it is chipanda state which is behind this, they wont risk a network based attack if what they want is src code onlee. GOOG has plenty of chinese employees all over the world, in almost every team and despite all the chi-chi claims of how secure their src is, it is still a bunch of bytes which can be checked out by team members from the repository and copied to another media though nobody will have all the pieces - true for any other large co.

OTOH, the GOOG has one of the largest computing clusters in the world - can be put to use for many nasty things.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

maybe the US launched a particularly severe snooping effort first and this was a "word of warning" to cease and desist or face the consequences.
or knowing the chipanda, they could just be opening their fly a little bit to make everyone well and truly aware of what they can do if pushed on other fronts.

most of our nation runs on a sleepy guy cleaning his ears with one hand and throwing a manual switch with the other, but US/EU is more vulnerable.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

From Reuters Google Probing Possible insider help in attacks

Seems like Google China employees have been denied access to internal networks and some placed on leave /others transferred out.
amol.p
BRFite

Post by amol.p »

Jim Rogers Says Shanghai, Hong Kong Property in Bubble

Shanghai and Hong Kong property prices may fall after being driven higher by speculative demand, said investor Jim Rogers, author of “A Bull in China.”

Efforts to restrain lending underscore the government’s attempt to take “some of the heat out of the economy,” he said in an interview in Bloomberg’s Singapore bureau today. The rest of the Chinese economy is “hardly in a bubble,” he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... 5TIs&pos=6
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

I'm not so sure that there is a asset bubble owing to speculative demad which would directly imply excess supply in the market without demand. China has a massive migration rate and vast swathes of Western China are as good as deserts , if anything they'll be facing a very serious shortage of Real Estate in the medium term future.

Perhaps it's one of the reasons for so many skyscrapers in the various major cities of China (which btw are all on the East Coast) , the problem in American Real estate sector was primarily due to loose debt policies and over consumption. Chinas troubles will arise from a different direction altogether.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

most large china cities have banned scooters and bikes. people have to rely on public transport buses. hence keeping them vertical decreases the commute and saves on bus expenses.

on sher khan can afford a car for all and suburbs 50 miles off CBD.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the comments are more interesting than the article.

http://gizmodo.com/5452054/chinas-loong ... ercomputer
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

Prasanth wrote:I was always wondering how we manage to feed ourselves with 200 mil tonnes of grain for 1.2 bil people. China needed 500 mil tonnes of grain for 1.3bil people and yet they are afraid of food security.
I thought I'll respond to this specific question.

The reason for such a huge disparity in grain requirement between India and China is that most of the Indian diets is vegitarian. Many people may eat non-veg, but that forms only small part of their diet. Indians don't have to feed too many animals for food.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

NPR's Market Place had a segment on a PRC soap opera called Snail House.

LINK

It seems to be a parody of the housing boom currently underway in PRC.
Theo_Fidel

Post by Theo_Fidel »

shyam wrote:Indians don't have to feed too many animals for food.
This is not entirely true. India has ~ 400 million head of cattle, this is 3 to 4 times that in China and US.
Most of this is for milk consumption. India is by far the largest producer and consumer of milk in the world.
Well over 2 times that of China in volume terms.

We produce about 20 million tons of Soybeans for our cattle. Here in the south we also feed them coconut and cashew cake.

All that cattle has to be processed at end of life. Much of our cattle get processed into leather goods and other industrial goods like soap. This is a source of protein much of Indian society is forgoing from, for now.

We also are the No 1 producer and consumer of coconuts ~ 20 Billion recently. Or 20 nuts per man woman and child. TN alone produces 5 Billion nuts. or a hundred nuts per man woman and child.

Climate matters too. Most of China is far far colder than the Indian Plains. A caloric intake of ~ 3500-4000 is an absolute necessity in most of China.

In India, other that heavy manual labor, a caloric intake of 2500 is too much for many Indians in our heat, as we are finding out from our obesity problems.

Also we are presently a much younger society. A younger population also consumes less in caloric basis.

But there truly are section of our population that live on much less.
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

China just reported its 2009 economic statistics data

The Chinese GDP of 2009 was 33,535.3 billion yuan (about US$4.9 trillion), an 8.7% increase over the past year.

http://www.stats.gov.cn/english/newsand ... 615502.htm
National Economy: Recovery and Posing in the Good Direction in 2009
National Bureau of Statistics of China 2010-01-21 10:00:00

National Bureau of Statistics of China
January 21, 2010

The year 2009 is the most difficult time for China’s economic development in the new century. In face of the severe impact brought about by the global financial crisis in a century and the most complicated domestic and international situations, the Central Party Committee and the State Council sized up the situation, made scientific decision and headed the whole nation united as one to surmount the difficulties of our time; to stick to implement the proactive fiscal policy and moderately easy monetary policy; and to fully implement and further improve the package plan targeting on tackling with the global financial crisis. All these lead to the holding back noticeable sliding of the economy, and the national economy recovered and moved toward a favorable direction.

According to preliminary estimation, the gross domestic product (GDP) for the year 2009 was 33,535.3 billion yuan, up by 8.7 percent at comparable prices, or 0.9 percentage points lower than that in the previous year. In terms of growth by quarters, it was up 6.2 percent for the first quarter, 7.9 percent growth for the second quarter, 9.1 percent for the third quarter and 10.7 percent for the last quarter. In terms of growth by sectors, the value added of the primary industry was 3,547.7 billion yuan, up by 4.2 percent; that of the secondary industry was 15,695.8 billion yuan, up by 9.5 percent; and that of the tertiary industry was 14,291.8 billion yuan, up by 8.9 percent.

I. Agricultural Production Continued to Develop Steadily with Increase in Grain Output for Consecutive Six Years. In 2009, the total output of grain reached 530.82 million tons, an increase of 0.4 percent over that in the previous year with an output increase for the sixth year. Of this total, the output of summer grain was 123.35 million tons, a year-on-year increase of 2.2 percent; the output of early rice was 33.27 million tons, a growth of 5.3 percent over that in the previous year; the output of autumn grain was 374.20 million tons, a year-on-year decline of 0.6 percent. The output of oil-bearing seeds is expected to grow around 5.0 percent and the output of sugar will drop by 9.0 percent. The output of meat maintained steady growth and the total output of meat in 2009 reached 75.09 million tons, up by 5.0 percent. Of this total, the output of pork was 48.89 million tons, up by 5.8 percent; the number of slaughtered pigs stood at 640 million, up by 5.7 percent, the total stocks of pigs were 470 million, rose by 1.5 percent.

II. Industrial Production Picked up Quarter by Quarter, Profits Made Reversed from Sharp Declining to Rising. In 2009, the value added of the industrial enterprises above the designated size was up by 11.0 percent, or 1.9 percentage points lower than that in 2008. Of which, the growth in the first quarter was 5.1 percent, that in the second quarter was 9.1 percent, 12.4 percent growth in the third quarter and 18.0 percent growth in the last quarter. Analysis on different types of enterprises showed that the value added of the state-owned and state holding enterprises went up by 6.9 percent; collective enterprises, up by 10.2 percent; share-holding enterprises, up by 13.3 percent; and 6.2 percent growth for the enterprises funded by foreign investors or investors from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. The growth of the heavy industry was 11.5 percent and that of the light industry was 9.7 percent. Among the 39 industrial divisions, all witnessed growth over the previous year. In terms of different areas, the growth in eastern, central and western regions went up by 9.7 percent, 12.1 percent and 15.5 percent respectively. The production and marketing situation was good, the sales ratio was 97.67 percent for the industrial enterprises above the designated size.

In the first eleven months of 2009, the profits made by industrial enterprises above the designated size reached 2,589.1 billion yuan, up by 7.8 percent, over the same period of last year, which was 2.9 percentage points higher than that in the same period of last year. Among the 39 industrial divisions, 30 divisions registered year-on-year growth with profits.

III. Investment Continued to Grow fast, Investment in Areas Related to People’s Livelihood Speeded up Noticeably. In 2009, the total investment in fixed assets of the country reached 22,484.6 billion yuan, a year-on-year growth of 30.1 percent, with an increase of 4.6 percentage points over the previous year. Of this total, the fixed assets investment in urban areas was 19,413.9 billion yuan, up by 30.5 percent, or 4.4 percentage points higher; and that in rural areas was 3,070.7 billion yuan, up by 27.5 percent, or 6.0 percentage points higher. Of the fixed assets investment in urban areas, the growth of investment in the primary industry was 49.9 percent; that in the secondary industry was 26.8 percent and 33.0 percent for the tertiary industry. In terms of different areas, the investment in urban areas in eastern, central and western regions grew by 23.9 percent, 36.0 percent and 35.0 percent respectively. Investment in areas that related to the improvement of people’s livelihood increased by a large margin. The investment in infrastructure facilities (excluding electricity) for the whole year topped 4,191.3 billion yuan, up 44.3 percent. Of this total, the growth of investment in railway transportation was 67.5 percent; road transportation, 40.1 percent; urban public traffic, 59.7 percent; services to households and other services, 61.8 percent; education, 37.2 percent; health, social security and social welfare, 58.5 percent. The total investment in the real estate development for the year was 3,623.2 billion yuan, a growth of 16.1 percent, which was 4.8 percentage points lower than that in 2008.

IV. The Growth of Market Sales was Steady and Fast, Sales of Selected Products Increased Rapidly. In 2009, the total sales of consumer goods reached 12,534.3 billion yuan, a growth of 15.5 percent, or a real growth of 16.9 percent after deducting price factors, which was 2.1 percentage points higher than that in the previous year. Of this total, the retail sales of consumer goods in cities stood at 8,513.3 billion yuan, up 15.5 percent, while the retail sales at and below county level reached 4,021.0 billion yuan, up 15.7 percent. Grouped by different sectors, the sales by wholesale and retail businesses was 10,541.3 billion yuan, up by 15.6 percent; and that by lodging and catering industry was 1,799.8 billion yuan, up by 16.8 percent. Of the total retail sales by wholesale and retail businesses above designated size, except that of the communication equipment, the rest 20 types of commodities all registered large margin growth. Of which, the growth of clothing, shoes, hats and textiles was 18.8 percent, that of furniture, 35.5 percent and 32.3 percent growth for automobiles.

V. The Consumer Price and Producer Price Witnessed Decline for the Whole Year, Picking up Was Shown at the End of the Year. In 2009, the CPI was down by 0.7 percent. Of this total, the CPI declined by 0.9 percent in cities and down by 0.3 percent in rural areas. Grouped by categories, four of the total eight categories witnessed price rise and the rest four had declines, the prices for tobacco and liquor, went up by 1.5 percent, that of the medical care services and personal articles, up by 1.2 percent, that of food went up by 0.7 percent, and that of household appliance and maintenance services, up 0.2 percent; the prices of housing down by 3.6 percent, that of transportation and communication, down by 2.4 percent, clothing, down by 2.0 percent and 0.7 percent decrease for recreation, education, cultural articles and services. The year-on-year change of CPI in November reversed from negative one to positive one, which was up 0.6 percent in November, it was up by 1.9 percent in December. In 2009, the year-on-year change of producers’ prices for manufactured goods down by 5.4 percent, in December it was up 1.7 percent reversing the trend of declining. The purchasers’ prices for raw material, fuel and power down by 7.9 percent for the whole year; the retail prices for commodities dropped down by 1.2 percent.

VI. The Total Value of Imports and Exports Dropped in 2009, It Shifted from Declining to Rising in November. The total value of imports and exports for the whole year reached 2,207.3 billion US dollars, a drop of 13.9 percent over that in the previous year. In November, the year-on-year change of total value of imports and exports shifted from negative one to a positive one, which was up by 9.8 percent, it was up 32.7 percent in December. The total value of exports for the whole year was 1,201.7 billion US dollars, down by 16.0 percent; that of the imports was 1,005.6 billion US dollars, down by 11.2 percent; China had a trade surplus of 196.1 billion US dollars, or 99.4 billion US dollars less over that in the previous year.

VII. Urban and Rural Residents’ Income Increased Steadily, the Employment Situation was Better than Expected. In 2009, the per capita income of urban household was 18,858 yuan. Of this total, the per capita disposable income of urban residents was 17,175 yuan, up by 8.8 percent, or a real increase of 9.8 percent after deducting price factors. Of the per capita income of urban household, the growth of wage income was 9.6 percent; that of operating net income was 5.2 percent; property income, 11.6 percent, transferred income, 14.9 percent. The per capita net income of rural residents was 5,153 yuan, up by 8.2 percent over that in the previous year, or a real increase of 8.5 percent after deducting price factors. Of this total, the growth of wage income was 11.2 percent; the production operating income from the primary industry was 2.2 percent, and that from the secondary and tertiary industries was 10.0 percent; the property income was 12.9 percent and 23.1 percent growth for the transferred income. The total newly increased employment in urban areas was 9.10 million people. By the end of the year, there were 149 million rural migrant workers; it was 1.7 million people more than that at the end of the first quarter of 2009.

VIII. Money Supply Grew Rapidly, Newly Increased Credits Increased by a Large Margin. At the end of December, the broad money (M2) was 60.6 trillion yuan, it was up 27.7 percent as compared with that at the end of 2008, the growth rate was 9.9 percentage points higher over that in the previous year; the narrow money (M1) was 22.0 trillion yuan, up by 32.4 percent, or 23.3 percentage points higher; the cash in circulation (M0) was 3,824.6 billion yuan, a rise of 11.8 percent, or down by 0.9 percentage points. The amount of outstanding loans of all financial institutions was 40.0 trillion yuan, increased by 9.6 trillion yuan over that at the beginning of this year, or an increase of 4.7 trillion yuan as compared with the same period last year.

At present, the base of world economy recovery is relatively weak; there are uncertainties in domestic economic development. Facing the complex situation of coexistence of difficulties and opportunities, we should unswervingly carry out various plans set by the central government on economic work; thoroughly apply the scientific outlook of development; maintain the consistency and stability of the macro economic policy; put forth effort to enhance the pertinence and flexibility of policies; further improve the quality and efficiency of economic growth; accelerate the change of economic growth mode and the adjustment of economic structures; actively push forward reform, opening-up and independent innovation; attach importance to the improvement of people’s livelihood and maintain a harmonious and stable social climate; take both international and domestic situation into consideration and plan accordingly; and achieve a steady and fast growth of national economy.
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

hina just reported its 2009 economic statistics data

The Chinese GDP of 2009 was 33,535.3 billion yuan (about US$4.9 trillion), an 8.7% increase over the past year.

Good performance. However, it is 2009 is "history" . We are in 2010 , Happy New Year and all that see ?.

So what use really is historical data ?. You dont drive a car by watching the rear view mirror, but by looking forward through the windshield ! . So looking forward, the current valid news for the Chinese economy is this.
Inflation is already at 1.9% and inflationary expectations are building up. Interest rates are going to go up and reserve ratios of banks are going up as well. Net result liquidity is going to get sucked out and growth moderated
Also, if I may add, China will eventually have to float it's currency this year. No way any trading partner is going to continue with the current situation. If that happens, expect the RMB to go up 30% and exports will get whacked really really hard (or atleast the juggernaut like export growth on the back of the "China Price", which is essentially subsidized by the govt due to currency fixing, unlimited cheap finance (for telecom, power and other value added Chinese exports, with govt link/ownership) and tax giveaways)..

So wrdos, lets have a bet. In 5 years, if you and I are still in this forum /bulletin board, lets get back and look at the Chinese growth rates from 2007 to 2014 or so. I will stick by my bet that the Chinese growth rate has crested / maxed out and it is going to be moderating from now.

China has entered the phase of S. Korea , Singapore, Malaysia and other NICs in the 90s and Japan in the 80s.. Dont worry. It is the economic equivalent of the laws of gravity catching up only. Not a bad thing. Good for the Chinese people because they get wealthier nominally and really (that is all that matters really).. It might not serve the interests of the CPC goons and thugs. But you know what I think of your commies.. F*ck 'em .
shyam
BRFite

Post by shyam »

Theo_Fidel wrote:This is not entirely true. India has ~ 400 million head of cattle, this is 3 to 4 times that in China and US.
Cattles are not the only animals people eat. You need to consider Pigs that farmed in China.
China with about 459,000,000 heads estimated in 2002
And consider other animals, birds, snakes and fish Chinese farm just to eat. They all need to be fed before eating them.
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

Not just another fake
The similarities between China today and Japan in the 1980s may look ominous. But China’s boom is unlikely to give way to prolonged slump

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/dis ... d=15270708
CHINA rebounded more swiftly from the global downturn than any other big economy, thanks largely to its enormous monetary and fiscal stimulus. In the year to the fourth quarter of 2009, its real GDP is estimated to have grown by more than 10%. But many sceptics claim that its recovery is built on wobbly foundations. Indeed, they say, China now looks ominously like Japan in the late 1980s before its bubble burst and two lost decades of sluggish growth began. Worse, were China to falter now, while the recovery in rich countries is still fragile, it would be a severe blow not just at home but to the whole of the world economy.

On the face of it, the similarities between China today and bubble-era Japan are worrying. Extraordinarily high saving and an undervalued exchange rate have fuelled rapid export-led growth and the world’s biggest current-account surplus. Chronic overinvestment has, it is argued, resulted in vast excess capacity and falling returns on capital. A flood of bank lending threatens a future surge in bad loans, while markets for shares and property look dangerously frothy.

Just as in the late 1980s, when Japan’s economy was tipped to overtake America’s, China’s strong rebound has led many to proclaim that it will become number one sooner than expected. In contrast, a recent flurry of bearish reports warn that China’s economy could soon implode. James Chanos, a hedge-fund investor (and one of the first analysts to spot that Enron’s profits were pure fiction), says that China is “Dubai times 1,000, or worse”. Another hedge fund, Pivot Capital Management, argues that the chances of a hard landing, with a slump in capital spending and a banking crisis, are increasing.

Scary stuff. However, a close inspection of pessimists’ three main concerns—overvalued asset prices, overinvestment and excessive bank lending—suggests that China’s economy is more robust than they think. Start with asset markets. Chinese share prices are nowhere near as giddy as Japan’s were in the late 1980s. In 1989 Tokyo’s stockmarket had a price-earnings ratio of almost 70; today’s figure for Shanghai A shares is 28, well below its long-run average of 37. Granted, prices jumped by 80% last year, but markets in other large emerging economies went up even more: Brazil, India and Russia rose by an average of 120% in dollar terms. And Chinese profits have rebounded faster than those elsewhere. In the three months to November, industrial profits were 70% higher than a year before.
wrdos
BRFite

Post by wrdos »

vina wrote:
hina just reported its 2009 economic statistics data

Good performance. However, it is 2009 is "history" . We are in 2010 , Happy New Year and all that see ?.

So what use really is historical data ?. You dont drive a car by watching the rear view mirror, but by looking forward through the windshield ! . So looking forward, the current valid news for the Chinese economy is this.
Inflation is already at 1.9% and inflationary expectations are building up. Interest rates are going to go up and reserve ratios of banks are going up as well. Net result liquidity is going to get sucked out and growth moderated
Also, if I may add, China will eventually have to float it's currency this year. No way any trading partner is going to continue with the current situation. If that happens, expect the RMB to go up 30% and exports will get whacked really really hard (or atleast the juggernaut like export growth on the back of the "China Price", which is essentially subsidized by the govt due to currency fixing, unlimited cheap finance (for telecom, power and other value added Chinese exports, with govt link/ownership) and tax giveaways)..

So wrdos, lets have a bet. In 5 years, if you and I are still in this forum /bulletin board, lets get back and look at the Chinese growth rates from 2007 to 2014 or so. I will stick by my bet that the Chinese growth rate has crested / maxed out and it is going to be moderating from now.

China has entered the phase of S. Korea , Singapore, Malaysia and other NICs in the 90s and Japan in the 80s.. Dont worry. It is the economic equivalent of the laws of gravity catching up only. Not a bad thing. Good for the Chinese people because they get wealthier nominally and really (that is all that matters really).. It might not serve the interests of the CPC goons and thugs. But you know what I think of your commies.. F*ck 'em .
Hehe, anyway there is an Indian friend who is so kind to give me a YEAR for his prediction, not like all those "India will" stories.

I don't think we need to wait until 2014.
- I bet the Chinese currency will not go up 30% in this year. Maybe 5%, or 7%, but never 30%
- I bet China can develop faster in 2010 than in 2009

And seems you are exciting the Chinese inflation of 1.9%? What is the corresponding data of India then?
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

wrdos wrote:The similarities between China today and Japan in the 1980s may look ominous. But China’s boom is unlikely to give way to prolonged slump
Ah ! Good. So wrdos, as a good Chinese, you surely must be a betting man. Let us see you put your money where you mouth is! Put a bet.. How about even a token amount like say $10.

Lets bet on this "China's growth has crested. Going forward, it's average long run growth rates (say 5 year avg) is never going to be as good as what it was until 2010" ..

Go on.. Don't chicken out. Bet on it.
amol.p
BRFite

Post by amol.p »

China Losing to U.S. Among Investments of Choice

Investors have turned bullish on the U.S. while tempering their enthusiasm for China as they worry about a market bubble there, according to a Bloomberg survey.
China, the world’s fastest-growing major economy, is viewed as a bubble by 62 percent.About one-third of respondents said China offered the best investment opportunities over the coming year, almost tied for first place with the U.S. and Brazil, though down sharply from October, when 44 percent ranked China best.

This time, almost three out of 10 investors said China posed the greatest downside risk, ranking it the second-riskiest market behind the European Union.

“We think that China is producing and is building up inventories at a rate that no other country or region can follow at the moment,” said poll respondent Alcibiades Angelakis, head of marketing and research at EPIC Investments in Athens. “This cannot continue for a long time, and we fear that in the second half of this year things will slow down.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... .dvoXM.MD8
vina
BRF Oldie

Post by vina »

wrdos wrote:- I bet China can develop faster in 2010 than in 2009
Come on. You are an engineer. A one year data is just that, a data point. You cant draw any trend analysis.

Let us look at a trend analysis, starting from today. Let us compare the next 5 years say with the previous 5 years.

The bet is this . I bet $10 on this.

If over the next 5 years the avg GDP growth rate of China (ie 2010 to 2015) is less than the previous 5 years (2010 to 2005), then I win , (or for that matter any 5 year period starting from 1985) and wrdos loses. So wrdos will contribute $10 towards Bharat Rakshak .

If over the next 5 years the avg GDP growth rate of China (ie 2010 to 2015) is HIGHER than the previous 5 years (2010 to 2005) the I lose, wrdos wins. So I (vina) will contribute $10 towards Bharat Rakshak.

Deal ?
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Vina,

Admirable bet. And I'd put my dollar on you any day.

However, one niggle is, how do you factor in Shanghai statistics?

Can you imagine the immense H&D loss for Panda if SDRE India grows faster during this period?

And dear Wrdos, that's no wistful thinking. Base level effect is a Biatch!
TKiran
BRFite

Post by TKiran »

vina wrote:
wrdos wrote:- I bet China can develop faster in 2010 than in 2009
Come on. You are an engineer. A one year data is just that, a data point. You cant draw any trend analysis.

Let us look at a trend analysis, starting from today. Let us compare the next 5 years say with the previous 5 years.

The bet is this . I bet $10 on this.

If over the next 5 years the avg GDP growth rate of China (ie 2010 to 2015) is less than the previous 5 years (2010 to 2005), then I win , (or for that matter any 5 year period starting from 1985) and wrdos loses. So wrdos will contribute $10 towards Bharat Rakshak .

If over the next 5 years the avg GDP growth rate of China (ie 2010 to 2015) is HIGHER than the previous 5 years (2010 to 2005) the I lose, wrdos wins. So I (vina) will contribute $10 towards Bharat Rakshak.

Deal ?
What is so big Deal in that?

China was developing at 20% GDP growth during the late 90's and early 2000's so the decline has already started, (of course, decline in the Growth rate). It will be more interesting to know if there would be any prediction of abnormally low growth rate such as less than 6% or so, we D&Gers would cheer that prediction.

It would be more interesting to predict the growth rates of India during that period (next 5 years). I always admire your accurate predictions. In fact I missed a fortune by not following your predictions. I still regret. :(
Raghav K
BRFite

Post by Raghav K »

TKiran wrote: What is so big Deal in that?

It would be more interesting to predict the growth rates of India during that period (next 5 years). I always admire your accurate predictions. In fact I missed a fortune by not following your predictions. I still regret. :(
wow so many mao's on BRF in false names.
TKiran
BRFite

Post by TKiran »

Raghav K wrote:wow so many mao's on BRF in false names.
Me? Mao?? How??

Please dont call me mao, I hate that. I am prepared not to post in this thread, if I have to be called mao.

I had been a long time lurker, I would prefer that.