Armoured Vehicles Discussion Thread

d_berwal
BRFite

Re: Armoured Vehicles Discussion Thread

Post by d_berwal »

Surya wrote:Why not ?? Looking at all the other half assed explanations given out

It does not fail in 1000 kms anywhere else?? So why did that mysteriously go away - as soon as monitoring was added?? :)

where is the mystery !!!! the damn equipment failed... why cant u accept it and blame IA.

You are happy believing that ppl form 43AR who have spent 25+ yrs with ARJUN development were the cause of Mystery.... then pls do sooo!!!

It did not go away on it own... it was rectified... http://livefist.blogspot.com/2008/04/mb ... am-to.html

pls use google a little more...:)
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Vivek K wrote:Yeah right! 80% of the Tanks are night blind so you will field 20% against Pakistan? How many of these 20% will be serviceable at a given time? Remarkable job!

And let me say this - the Arjun is rejected because of a personal vendetta by the brass. Pray list the defects in the first 5 Arjuns if they are open source.
how does 900 number become 20% of fleet... (what should have IA used in 2005 if we had awar with PA... ARJUN :( ) what do u suggest IA usses whith PA if we have a war in 2013 ?

well ur very close to top brass and there liking and dislikes.... what more can i say on this....
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Sure and the minister made the statement and the gears moved in the background. :D we know how that works

It was not like the Renk redesigned something on the fly. The whole thing as Vina said was quickly covered up after the initial statement.
one wonders why

wel the 43 AR guys are absolutely fine it - so when it suits you - want to ignore them :D

I can use google like you used for your chaiwallah to find T series combat after the IPKF :)
aditp
BRFite

Post by aditp »

d_berwal wrote: (Why dont we place more order for LCA insted of MMRCA)
Because, LCA is Light & MMRCA is Medium. :D

Better question would be why not place more orders for Su-30 and not MMRCA.

Anyways, the IAF is being more sensible these days (ever since Major) towards the LCA. The IA is yet to show similar sensibilities towards indigenous equipment. Lets hope VK Singh would bring in the required change.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

Guys

this says it all
the damn equipment failed...
a complete hatred for the product. You cannot get past it - till the pakis get M1s.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Marten wrote:
d_berwal wrote:how does 900 number become 20% of fleet... (what should have IA used in 2005 if we had awar with PA... ARJUN :( ) what do u suggest IA usses whith PA if we have a war in 2013 ?
Circuitous and self-defeating logic: How can I use something that I do not order because it will not be available even though it is not available because I did not order it???

How will Avadi build more unless the IA stops dancing to the tune of Natashas and orders more substantial numbers? Why would any captive manufacturer build a capacity of 100 a year unless the user orders more than 500? How can you keep using such flawed logic to support that inane "not available" argument? Your Merc analogy is also flawed. You're using company money to buy a model from a different company. That is justified as long as you do not have a comparable model. Now that this current model is better than the one you're so much in love with, there is no justification left for you. The failure of Renk etc is pure BS on your part. Google up Renk. Please don't give me the BS of the failed unit again. It is patently false and even MoD accepts it as do folks close to DGMF. If the army prefers Natasha's tune, all one can say is "naach chamiya naach"! I would call for treat the sabotage as Treason and make an example of the officers involved. Keep an eye out for that as well - we will have another purge so these corrupt officers can stop pretending they've only our best interests in mind. One can defend the army's delay and inaction, but not active sabotage of national interests by certain officers. While you're at it, apply the same principle to DRDO as well if you can, and make sure you have productivity metrics that are publicly available. End of the dumb DRDO is lazy argument. Let the army speak up and ask for more transparency in DRDO when it has applied such principles to itself.
they took 10yrs to build 100.... (how is it self-defeating logic: it was ordered in 2000.... do u knwo which year we are in ?)

Good that we dont have ppl like u in IA.. to run it like ur ghar ke murgi..

And pls the integrity of IA officer if much much above n unquistionable.... that is y u have IA and that is why it is not PA.

You for one have no right to even question the integrity of an IA officer.

If an equipment fails a test it will be rejected !!!PERIOD!!! it is his job to reject it.
Last edited by d_berwal on 01 Mar 2010 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

aditp wrote:
d_berwal wrote: (Why dont we place more order for LCA insted of MMRCA)
Because, LCA is Light & MMRCA is Medium. :D

Better question would be why not place more orders for Su-30 and not MMRCA.

Anyways, the IAF is being more sensible these days (ever since Major) towards the LCA. The IA is yet to show similar sensibilities towards indigenous equipment. Lets hope VK Singh would bring in the required change.

so why have Gripen in MMRCA? and F-16 ?
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Surya wrote:Guys

this says it all
the damn equipment failed...
a complete hatred for the product. You cannot get past it - till the pakis get M1s.
you are trying to negate fact with your emotion, that is what i will say.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

d_berwal wrote:It did not go away on it own... it was rectified... http://livefist.blogspot.com/2008/04/mb ... am-to.html

pls use google a little more...
The same link you quoted has this remark :P :mrgreen:
As the same source said: "Everyone is baffled. If a tank can run smoothly for thousands of kilometers, why do problems only crop up during trials?"
Any answer/suggestion why it is that way? :wink:
Anabhaya
BRFite

Post by Anabhaya »

And pls the integrity of IA officer if much much above n unquistionable.... that is y u have IA and that is why it is not PA.

Why not? :eek: The topmost general in the Indian Army has been accused of corruption - repeatedly. So why not?
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Kanson wrote:
d_berwal wrote:It did not go away on it own... it was rectified... http://livefist.blogspot.com/2008/04/mb ... am-to.html

pls use google a little more...
The same link you quoted has this remark :P :mrgreen:
As the same source said: "Everyone is baffled. If a tank can run smoothly for thousands of kilometers, why do problems only crop up during trials?"
Any answer/suggestion why it is that way? :wink:
ARJUN has only run in trials... outside trials when has it done 1000+ km ?
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

and damning the equipment is so emotionless :D

The emotionless can stick to designing huffy and tuffy :mrgreen:
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Anabhaya wrote:

Why not? :eek: The topmost general in the Indian Army has been accused of corruption - repeatedly. So why not?
:eek: :eek: :eek: who are u ?

He is accused and the laid down Army Law is taking care of it... he is charged and CoI is on.
Last edited by d_berwal on 01 Mar 2010 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Surya wrote:and damning the equipment is so emotionless :D

The emotionless can stick to designing huffy and tuffy :mrgreen:
who damn the equipment... IA only said Give us what we ordered and Paid up for.
Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

You did :)

round and round we go
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

Then tell us how it notched more than 80,000 km by that time AUCRT was happening.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Kanson wrote:
Then tell us how it notched more than 80,000 km by that time AUCRT was happening.

In trials dude... where else.. as a pure Prototype, then TD, the PPS... the number is combined for 20 tanks.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

So AUCRT is not a trial :?: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Kanson on 01 Mar 2010 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Anabhaya
BRFite

Post by Anabhaya »

d_berwal wrote:He is accused and the laid down Army Law is taking care of it... he is charged and CoI is on.
After the DefMin threw his hat in and made sure the Chief wasn't playing funny. So enough of sanctimonious inanities.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Kanson wrote:So AUCRT is not a trial
when did i say that... what was my reply to ... read then post and then write a one liner .
Last edited by d_berwal on 01 Mar 2010 22:04, edited 2 times in total.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Anabhaya wrote:
d_berwal wrote:He is accused and the laid down Army Law is taking care of it... he is charged and CoI is on.
After the DefMin threw his hat in and made sure the Chief wasn't playing funny. So enough of sanctimonious inanities.
get ur facts right he was in CoI then only the media tamasha started.
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

D_Berwal the Arjun is made by Avadi and the same facility is supposedly gonna churn out 'hajjaar' T-90s , now unless these are to be assembled from CKDs/SKDs I don't see how they will be able to roll them out at a substantially faster rate than the Arjun , and again it is only a matter of common sense as to what sort of technology transfer Russians will provide to Avadi vis a vis DRDO.

While we bitch and :(( on this fora about the DELAYs caused in arms procurement and the country's security being put in danger we seem to miss out on a fundamental fact that while DRDO and other domestic MIC can be made accountable and even penalized for the delays , case in point Arjun the 'phoren' vendors are immune to this . Gorshkov is a classic example of the same which is already delayed and all this in the name of underestimation of the amount of re-wiring :eek: now imagine if IN would have changed a spec or requirement ; and I am not even talking about the extra money being coughed out by the GOI.

And please do not talk about F-22 or Su-30 in same vein the countries in question never purchase platforms from outside specially when there exists a product in similar class built by the domestic MIC . Infact RU is wisely leveraging India's economic clout to sustain its domestic MIC .
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

d_berwal wrote:
Kanson wrote:So AUCRT is not a trial
when did i say that... what was my reply to ... read then post a one liner .
This is your post...
AUCRT full form is accelerated usage cum reliability trials
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

negi wrote:D_Berwal the Arjun is made by Avadi and the same facility is supposedly gonna churn out 'hajjaar' T-90s , now unless these are to be assembled from CKDs/SKDs I don't see how they will be able to roll them out at a substantially faster rate than the Arjun , and again it is only a matter of common sense as to what sort of technology transfer Russians will provide to Avadi vis a vis DRDO.

While we bitch and :(( on this fora about the DELAYs caused in arms procurement and the country's security being put in danger we seem to miss out on a fundamental fact that while DRDO and other domestic MIC can be made accountable and even penalized for the delays , case in point Arjun the 'phoren' vendors are immune to this . Gorshkov is a classic example of the same which is already delayed and all this in the name of underestimation of the amount of re-wiring :eek: now imagine if IN would have changed a spec or requirement ; and I am not even talking about the extra money being coughed out by the GOI.

And please do not talk about F-22 or Su-30 in same vein the countries in question never purchase platforms from outside specially when there exists a product in similar class built by the domestic MIC . Infact RU is wisely leveraging India's economic clout to sustain its domestic MIC .
ARJUN has a seprate Assembly line to T-90. GoI can any day Increase the capacity... they just have to sanction ARJUN assembly expension plan... why are they not doing that?

ARJUN at the cost of T-90 will harm our forces more that then improving the situation.

we can easily induct 500 - 1000 ARJUNS still we will have enough obselete equipment left for replacement.

Why is GoI not holding DRDO / AVDHI accountable ?

what is better: by 2020

1600 T-90
1000 Arjun
1000 T-72 (upgrades)

OR

600 T-90
1000 ARJUN
2000 T-72 (Upgrades)
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

And all this hair splitting semantics aside while the oldest of the three services is yet to receive its ARTY guns and struggles with its MBT fleet (as COAS himself claimed a few days back) . The IN has managed to get the work done from same DRDO,BEL,NSTL ,LRDE,GSL,CSL and GRSE folks . Whether it be the Signaal, Revathi, Humsa, Brahmos , Dhanush , Sagarika and then ships in the class of Delhi class , P17s ,Shivaliks they all are being made by India's MIC under IN's supervision and as per latter's GSQR.

Why is that IA cannot get the same MIC to build a decent MBT for itself ? even if we assume it takes two to tango given that latter has delivered the goods with other services I am inclined to believe there is something serious amiss with those who call the shots in the IA.
Last edited by negi on 01 Mar 2010 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Kanson wrote:[quote="d_berwal]
This is your post...
AUCRT full form is accelerated usage cum reliability trials[/quote][/quote]

soo ARJUN has only run in trials ... thats it... tell me one instance when ARJUN has notched 100+ km outside of TRIALS.. leave 80000 alone.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

negi wrote:And all this hair splitting semantics aside while the oldest of the three services is yet to receive its ARTY guns and struggles with its MBT fleet (as COAS himself claimed a few days back) . The IN has managed to get the work done from same DRDO,BEL,NSTL ,LRDE,GSL,CSL and GRSE folks . Whether it be the Signaal, Revathi, Humsa, Brahmos , Dhanush , Sagarika and then ships in the class of Delhi class , P17s ,Shivaliks they all are being made by India's MIC under IN's supervision and as per latter's GSQR.

Why is that IA cannot get the same MIC to build a decent MBT for itself ? even if we assume it takes two to tango given that latter has delivered the goods with other services I am inclined to believe there is something serious amiss with those who call the shots in the IA.
that is what needs to be debated, rather than boiling ones emotions and abusing IA and deeming Integrity of IA officers
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Oh, and would you build 100 tanks each year if the user gave you an order for 100 and then changed the specifications? Please give us a better argument!
If the current Arjun is better than the T-90, how would you defend not inducting more?
If the Arjun has been break-down free and is a better choice, why would want to ignore the possibilities it offers?
Yes if i was paid to run the factory and paid to upgrade it for every batch of 124 :)

Its not that any one is doing it for free, is it?
Last edited by d_berwal on 01 Mar 2010 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

Anabhaya wrote:
Are you aware of the Army Act and the Army Rules?

Otherwise quit acting like as if you were the Queens Counsel!

If not, take it easy and not even be busy.

Read Army Rule and then come back!

If the laws are not applied correctly, it is known 'bad in law' and the accused has the right to correct it.

I am not aware of the facts of the case, but what I sure know is that law must take its own course honestly!
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

---
Last edited by Kanson on 01 Mar 2010 22:37, edited 2 times in total.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

d_berwal wrote:they took 10yrs to build 100.... (how is it self-defeating logic: it was ordered in 2000.... do u knwo which year we are in ?)
d_berwal wrote:ARJUN has a seprate Assembly line to T-90. GoI can any day Increase the capacity... they just have to sanction ARJUN assembly expension plan... why are they not doing that?
:rotfl: because the army has placed all of one-hundred-and-twenty-four on order ? and the order for the tin can is > 1000 ? it's called economics of scale saar.

the game is very nice btw, first you place miniscule orders so that production rate will be slow, then you say we will not order any more because production rate is low ! :roll:
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

d_berwal wrote:
Kanson wrote:[quote="d_berwal]
This is your post...
AUCRT full form is accelerated usage cum reliability trials
[/quote]

soo ARJUN has only run in trials ... thats it... tell me one instance when ARJUN has notched 100+ km outside of TRIALS.. leave 80000 alone.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

You are simply beating around the bush. The link you quoted states
"Everyone is baffled. If a tank can run smoothly for thousands of kilometers, why do problems only crop up during trials?"
Now the question is if Arjun has run 80,000 km in so far till AUCRT why such problem of replacing 4 "engine" happened only in AUCRT and not before. If there is a recurring problem of "engine" with Arjun tank why such problem never happened before
milindc
BRFite

Post by milindc »

d_berwal wrote: soo ARJUN has only run in trials ... thats it... tell me one instance when ARJUN has notched 100+ km outside of TRIALS.. leave 80000 alone.
From the livefist article you posted
The warranty on the Arjun powerpack is 5,000-km, though some of the tanks have done between 7,000 and 9,000-km already. The above 40° conditions trials will take place over 2,000-km somewhere in June/July, though a decision on whether the sub-40° trials will be re-conducted will be taken after a trial cum performance report is submitted to the Army by the end of this month or early May.
Are you suggesting that some tanks have done 7000 to 9000 kms in trials and yet not deemed fit.
Last edited by milindc on 01 Mar 2010 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

RayC Sir, all we would like is a honest, fair chance to the Arjun - something it has not received yet. The hard headed persons that have been steadfastly rejecting it need to step aside and let others with an unbiased opinion evaluate and see if there has been a sabotage. One way of inducing sabotage that was practised at Maruti Udyog in the 90s - leave the deliveries from a new wannabe supplier outside the store so that they would get rained on and get rusted and then reject them. Keep rejecting until the new supplier learnt to play ball! Every institution has its methodologies. And corruption is rampant in all procurement (in India and everywhere else). So please accept that you guys could also be wrong - not just the Arjun.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Infact, the descision to induct T-90 was taken after Army said that Arjuns cannot be made fast enough.

Subsequently CVRDE piled up Arjuns and associated parts while Russians dragged their foot. Then Army wanted to purchase 300 T-90S off the shelf from Russia.
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

d_berwal wrote: Refining the requirement is a regular feature.

Tell me didn’t the requirement of LCA, ALH, SU-30, F-22, changed from the first TD built to the production model ?
When the "refinement" happens it will be in blocks. The new "refinement" in LCA is MK2. In case of Su-30, it is Su-30k, MKI MK1, MK2, MK3..etc. But it is only the IA which never inducted any tanks with the "refinements" whereas IAF accepted LCA MK1 while going for Mk2.
IA accepted the MBT in 2000 and gave production order of 124 numbers.
Wrong, it is 2002 not 2000.
As a technology ARJUN was accepted 10 yrs back but as a product out of production line the quality was so poor that IA had to rejact the complete lot of 14 MBT. This is where the tamasha started, DDM/ DRDO/ AVDHI projected that IA is not accepting ARJUN because of T-90., had these ppl made sure that 14 MBT built passed through the quality control we would not see the tamasha.... but insted of accepting the quality issue.. they have managed to show it in a diff picture altogether because it would have shown their incompentency.
Again wrong... becoz IA prolonged conducting trials after trials after every "teething" problem and add new complexity at every stage. I quote few examples from Broadsword and frontierIndia.
This new insistence on 14 tanks will delay the trials at least till December 08. In 2005, the army had agreed to comparative trials, with five Arjun tanks pitted against five T-72s and an equal number of T-90s. The DGMF had even written the trial directive, spelling out how trials would be conducted. Those trials were postponed as the Arjun was not ready to operate in high summer temperatures. Now the Arjun is ready, but the army is not.
On 28th July 2005, Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee informed Parliament, “The Arjun tank is superior to (the) T-90 tank due to its high power to weight ratio, superior fire on the move capability during day and night and excellent ride comfort. MBT Arjun has gone through all the tests and it is meeting the (requirements) of the Army.”

But a year later, in December 2007, India bought 347 more T-90s for Rs 4900 crores. That despite the MoD’s admission in Parliament that the 310 T-90s purchased earlier had problems with their Invar missile systems, and the thermal imagers that are crucial for night fighting.
From frontierIndia.
Surprisingly Indian Army has canceled the so called “comparative trials” which was never scheduled. In 2005 when last comparative trials were held, Arjun Tank did not fire at all. The reason was the French Sagem gun sights, which was a higher version of the earlier model, was installed due to due to embargo on the earlier supplier. The sights were checked and installed into the Arjun electronics. However in the desert heat of Rajasthan, the sensitive laser range finder did not perform. Target range is an important parameter, required for accurate firing and hence firing could not be done.

Subsequently, the Sagem officials and DRDO worked on the entire electronics and presented it for trials in 2006. The guns performed, however the Army came up with another observation of the higher fuel consumption in Arjun Tank compared to T-72. The Fuel consumption issue was proven wrong during the later trials meant for the purpose. Indian Army refused to bring in a T-72 for comparative fuel consumption trials.

Subsequently Indian Army came up with another observation that water was leaking into Arjun Tank. As per the standard norm, 1 tank in 10 production tank is to be tested for medium fording. However the loophole is that there are no standards mentioned in GSQR for Medium Fording. The problem identified was that Heavy vehicles Factory and Indian Army use different standards for testing T-72 tanks. However, DRDO ran Arjun Tanks 20 minutes in water to demonstrate medium fording.

Now since the CVRDE is calling the Indian Army for the challenge, Indian Army is out to go in for AUCRT. Unfortunately there is no third party watchdog for AUCRT
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Vivek K wrote:RayC Sir, all we would like is a honest, fair chance to the Arjun - something it has not received yet. The hard headed persons that have been steadfastly rejecting it need to step aside and let others with an unbiased opinion evaluate and see if there has been a sabotage. One way of inducing sabotage that was practised at Maruti Udyog in the 90s - leave the deliveries from a new wannabe supplier outside the store so that they would get rained on and get rusted and then reject them. Keep rejecting until the new supplier learnt to play ball! Every institution has its methodologies. And corruption is rampant in all procurement (in India and everywhere else). So please accept that you guys could also be wrong - not just the Arjun.

AUCRT is must to pass for mass production order.... how can DRDO/ CVRDE come unprepared for it... how can they come with in the most important trial for getting clearence for mass production, sooo un prepared... THIS is what we need accountability for not start blaming IA for being professional.. ARJUN passed all trials but the AUCRT... which was the most important for getting mass order.
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

chackojoseph wrote:Infact, the descision to induct T-90 was taken after Army said that Arjuns cannot be made fast enough.

Subsequently CVRDE piled up Arjuns and associated parts while Russians dragged their foot. Then Army wanted to purchase 300 T-90S off the shelf from Russia.
chacko jiiii it was AVDHI whic said ARJUN cannot be made fast enough as per IA demands. That leaded to subsequent orders for T-90
d_berwal
BRFite

Post by d_berwal »

Kanson wrote:
d_berwal wrote: Refining the requirement is a regular feature.

Tell me didn’t the requirement of LCA, ALH, SU-30, F-22, changed from the first TD built to the production model ?
When the "refinement" happens it will be in blocks. The new "refinement" in LCA is MK2. In case of Su-30, it is Su-30k, MKI MK1, MK2, MK3..etc. But it is only the IA which never inducted any tanks with the "refinements" whereas IAF accepted LCA MK1 while going for Mk2.
IA accepted the MBT in 2000 and gave production order of 124 numbers.
Wrong, it is 2002 not 2000.
As a technology ARJUN was accepted 10 yrs back but as a product out of production line the quality was so poor that IA had to rejact the complete lot of 14 MBT. This is where the tamasha started, DDM/ DRDO/ AVDHI projected that IA is not accepting ARJUN because of T-90., had these ppl made sure that 14 MBT built passed through the quality control we would not see the tamasha.... but insted of accepting the quality issue.. they have managed to show it in a diff picture altogether because it would have shown their incompentency.
Again wrong... becoz IA prolonged conducting trials after trials after every "teething" problem and add new complexity at every stage. I quote few examples from Broadsword and frontierIndia.
This new insistence on 14 tanks will delay the trials at least till December 08. In 2005, the army had agreed to comparative trials, with five Arjun tanks pitted against five T-72s and an equal number of T-90s. The DGMF had even written the trial directive, spelling out how trials would be conducted. Those trials were postponed as the Arjun was not ready to operate in high summer temperatures. Now the Arjun is ready, but the army is not.
On 28th July 2005, Defence Minister Pranab Mukherjee informed Parliament, “The Arjun tank is superior to (the) T-90 tank due to its high power to weight ratio, superior fire on the move capability during day and night and excellent ride comfort. MBT Arjun has gone through all the tests and it is meeting the (requirements) of the Army.”

But a year later, in December 2007, India bought 347 more T-90s for Rs 4900 crores. That despite the MoD’s admission in Parliament that the 310 T-90s purchased earlier had problems with their Invar missile systems, and the thermal imagers that are crucial for night fighting.
From frontierIndia.
Surprisingly Indian Army has canceled the so called “comparative trials” which was never scheduled. In 2005 when last comparative trials were held, Arjun Tank did not fire at all. The reason was the French Sagem gun sights, which was a higher version of the earlier model, was installed due to due to embargo on the earlier supplier. The sights were checked and installed into the Arjun electronics. However in the desert heat of Rajasthan, the sensitive laser range finder did not perform. Target range is an important parameter, required for accurate firing and hence firing could not be done.

Subsequently, the Sagem officials and DRDO worked on the entire electronics and presented it for trials in 2006. The guns performed, however the Army came up with another observation of the higher fuel consumption in Arjun Tank compared to T-72. The Fuel consumption issue was proven wrong during the later trials meant for the purpose. Indian Army refused to bring in a T-72 for comparative fuel consumption trials.

Subsequently Indian Army came up with another observation that water was leaking into Arjun Tank. As per the standard norm, 1 tank in 10 production tank is to be tested for medium fording. However the loophole is that there are no standards mentioned in GSQR for Medium Fording. The problem identified was that Heavy vehicles Factory and Indian Army use different standards for testing T-72 tanks. However, DRDO ran Arjun Tanks 20 minutes in water to demonstrate medium fording.

Now since the CVRDE is calling the Indian Army for the challenge, Indian Army is out to go in for AUCRT. Unfortunately there is no third party watchdog for AUCRT
can u count the number of defects in ARJUN pre 2008...
Vivek K
BRF Oldie

Post by Vivek K »

d_berwal IIRC even one of the Ministers accused the IA of sabotage at the AUCRT. So please stop harping on it.

And your attitude d_berwal is typical of the IA mindset!! Well, what can we say, it will be the likes of you - our fathers, sons and brothers that will pay with their lives for this mindset. I think that the Arjun should be scrapped. The Mk2 should be given up and the Army allowed to import as many tanks from Europe as it wants. The IA will not support local industry so what is the point. Army procurement is corrupt and the corrupt officers rule.
Last edited by Vivek K on 01 Mar 2010 23:13, edited 1 time in total.