Sanku wrote:...<SNIP> Had you actually bothered to educate yourself on the basics, the thread would not have been getting into a "define the debate 101"
Anyway, my only appeal to you is educate yourself before feeling the compelling need to ask kindergarten variety questions, you may enjoy the banality of revisiting the basics but a lot of us dont.
How about applying the same advise to yourself?.....coming from you that is pretty rich.
Let me know when both of you guys grow up and move beyond attacking me personally because my points can not be countered.
sanku ji, would you mind elaborating for us what the different GSQRs for T-90 and arjun are ? or better yet, what are the different roles these 'different' GSQR's are supposed to fill in ? if you want to go even wider, what are the different categories of modern MBT's ? from my little understanding I thought there was only one category for MBT's in modern armies ?
Rahul M, first and foremost I or any one else can not have claimed to seen GSQRs since they are not public
. I can however make educated guesses on the questions based on overall understanding.
1) Trade off between Armor and weight, with impact on fuel consumption. What do you chose a better protected vehicle or one which can move further on less fuel?
2) Number of crewmen w.r.t. rate of fire.
3) Baggage trail, tonnage of spares required for per tank per km run.
4) Use of existing logistical faculties to service the new tanks.
5) Terrain of use? Marshy, sandy, with canals etc. how does it fit in with existing infrastructure.
6) Will it also be used for close infantry support in enclosed conditions? Can it then use ERA?
What is the point? The point is that there is no A
solution for tanks. Many possible solutions exist which will give slightly different tanks as a result.
One will be a 40 ton tank one will be a 60 ton. It is a question of where does one chose the sweet spot of design trade off.
It is indeed IAs prerogative to chose one or more such solutions. We may or may not agree but does not change anything.
Specifically w.r.t. T 90 vs Arjun, to me
IAs approach is clear -- We have a Arjun type solution for tanks, as it comes, let us also have latest of T series types solution. There is space aplenty for both.
Its not either/or. Even if Arjun was ordered in large numbers, it is quite possible that T 90s would also be ordered. We do not know for sure, we can not make a definite claim.