BR Forum Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
pankaj
BRFite -Trainee

Re: BR Forum Feedback

Post by pankaj »

Old look was better , you could scan BR in the office too...
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

I generally do not bother whatever it is. However, this time I have to :).

The old look and feel is better. These colors are good for jingoes as they glue to this site for longer times. The color changes on Mouseovers etc. is not good as eyes gets hurt. These kind of colors and behaviours are all ok for something that we see for 15 minutes or 30 minutes.

Please revert back to previous colors at least and I am not asking for feature changes. Just colors ..... I plead :)
KrishG
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by KrishG »

Feels Strange.

Can we atleast switch the poster's name etc to the left and the post to right as it was ? I think this format would have problems coping with posting of large pics etc
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

fellas the upgrade hasnt happened yet, but this template is a prerequsite to get things working.. first lets get it done with by big boss, then we will takea stab at changing the colors , layout etc of this to the old format.

But it will be a slow process.
sivabala
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sivabala »

Dear Admin,
Is there a way to access the forum in old format. The new visualization though catchy, is not readable for long time. Its strain for eyes.
Thanx.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Jagan wrote:fellas the upgrade hasnt happened yet, but this template is a prerequsite to get things working.. first lets get it done with by big boss, then we will takea stab at changing the colors , layout etc of this to the old format.

Oh its default Theme Prosilver for phpBB3. I thought BRF is upgraded to version 3. Anyway speed seems better. May be you can bring old look with new version. Somehow I feel it is phpBB3 despite what you say . :twisted:

need any help , buzz me.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Austin wrote:This new look is horrible and too jazzy , can we go back to the old one ?
I have a big screen and it actually hurts my eyes when my mouse moves down the forum main page with blue pointlessly changing to yellow. Imagine a whole strip lighting up yellow just because the mouse is over it :shock:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

KrishG wrote:Feels Strange.

Can we atleast switch the poster's name etc to the left and the post to right as it was ? I think this format would have problems coping with posting of large pics etc
Buddy did you read the news from Thimphu? Might as well get used to reading from left to right :mrgreen: :((
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Jagan wrote:fellas the upgrade hasnt happened yet, but this template is a prerequsite to get things working.. first lets get it done with by big boss, then we will takea stab at changing the colors , layout etc of this to the old format.

So, how does this work, once you have upgraded to phpBB3, can you use any theme that works with phpBB3? In that case may I suggest http://www.phpbb3styles.net/ after you upgrade it? :mrgreen: I know most BRFites want to return to the old look after the upgrade, but it looks kind of dated. There are several new themes on that website which members would like IMHO.
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Nah.. the new look doesn't do it for me... not soft on the eyes...

I think we should start a new thread to take votes in favour or against the new look........ :roll:
atreya
BRFite

Post by atreya »

New look doesn't suit the atmosphere of BR. And doesn't facilitate reading more than 1 paragraph, while things in BR need to be read thoroughly, if you want to learn something
mandrake
BRFite

Post by mandrake »

Don't like the new look at all, older one makes BRF stand apart from others, atleast get the same theme back if reverting is not possible!
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

The new TFTA format dosen't look good. Bring back the old SDRE look once you are through with the upgrades.
Sagar G
BRF Oldie

Post by Sagar G »

This new look BR completely sucks, please bring the old theme back
pkudva
BRFite

Post by pkudva »

pls get the old design/template......the new look does not suit the BR Forum......the forum has been looking great from 1998......but now....the looks doesn't suit its worth.....in india.
prashanth
BRFite

Post by prashanth »

Forum looks bad. Please bring back the old look.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

shukla wrote:Nah.. the new look doesn't do it for me... not soft on the eyes...

I think we should start a new thread to take votes in favour or against the new look........ :roll:
already there ! :mrgreen: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... =24&t=5522
this new look is very popular.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

May I suggest using a more soothing colour combo for reading such as the one used here? http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ The white on a darkish background that isn't too flashy but soft is really easy on the eyes. I know this whole thing is supposed to be temporary but we could have a choice too. like in the previous version.
abhijitm
BRF Oldie

Post by abhijitm »

I think original black-n-white colour theme was decent, formal, mature and readable. It had some kind of seriousness it in. Somehow this colourful BRF gives some jazzy, schoolboy feel to me. Although I agree that this theme is not exactly gaudy.

nice try though.
pmund
BRFite

Post by pmund »

Pleeeeeeeeezee bring back the old look masters. :(( This one is too sissy (and too jazzy). The old one had a weather-beaten soldier's look. No nonsense look. And i protest the slant to navy and air force. Gives me the blues. if it's colour let's have OG :twisted:
Bharath.Subramanyam
BRFite

Post by Bharath.Subramanyam »

Request to admins:

1. This new format is very straining on the eyes. I think many members in this forum spent at least 2 to 3 hours a day (like me).

2. BRF's earlier format in simple text without any of these colours were very helpful (especially in office setting). People passsing by won't peer on to your laptop/desktop because of it was all text without any colours. Now, this is very distracting.

3. Even the maroon format suggested by 'Jagan' or dark background suggested by 'tsriram' will be very unhelpful in office environments.

Once the upgrade is done, can we go back to simple Black & White text format please ?
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

I have a minor change request for the forum cover page. The last post icon - Image - is, in my opinion, too small. While the last post column has a good width, the last poster's name occupies a much larger width than the link to the last post itself.

I understand that the height of the icon might need to remain as it is now, but could we please have it 3 to 4 times wider? It would make it much easier for anyone trying to click on the last post button on a touchscreen.

Many thanks.

Added later: The width of this button - Image - for example, makes it unmissable.
Samay
BRFite

Post by Samay »

Surya
BRF Oldie

Post by Surya »

I hate it :((
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Samay wrote:This looks satisfactory http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/subHack_Gray
+1.

Though the present theme is not good, but kindly do not bring back the old theme. Its still like "01 Jan 1970" on that theme.
Last edited by Akshut on 30 Apr 2010 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Akshut wrote:
Though the present theme is not good, but kindly do not bring back the old theme. Its still like "01 Jan 1970" on that that theme.
I agree. The Admins should pick a few themes that they like from websites like phpbb3styles.net and ask the users to choose one with a vote. Or they could just choose a nice theme themselves without asking the users. The old theme was just too simple IMO.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

nachiket wrote:
Akshut wrote:
Though the present theme is not good, but kindly do not bring back the old theme. Its still like "01 Jan 1970" on that that theme.
I agree. The Admins should pick a few themes that they like from websites like phpbb3styles.net and ask the users to choose one with a vote. Or they could just choose a nice theme themselves without asking the users. The old theme was just too simple IMO. Just not good enough for India's premier online Defence Forum.
Vivs
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vivs »

This theme is terrible. Please get back the old theme. Maybe we can try a new theme in one forum before moving on.
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

I found it!! I found the theme for phpBB3 which looks somewhat like the old one and reads from left to right as well.

Clicky

I humbly suggest this to the mysterious "ForumAdmin" whoever he is.
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

The old theme was simple and it was good. And it worked fine on mobile phones too. The new themes require a lot of css and images i suppose, and takes longer to download on mobiles too.
VishalJ
BRFite

Post by VishalJ »

Hi there,

i've been on a few forums as i'm sure most of you have been too.

BR Forums require something which is Easier on the Eyes,

Please go with something which has a DARK/DARKER BACKGROUND.

As an earlier Gentleman has quoted previously about Fred Miranda Forum, i am a very frequent visitor on that site.

Its what BR should be like - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/892150 << P E R F E C T
putnanja
BRF Oldie

Post by putnanja »

Ajatshatru wrote:Could we have a poll (Old theme v new theme)?
There is a poll going on in the GDF
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Rahul M wrote:
shukla wrote:Nah.. the new look doesn't do it for me... not soft on the eyes...

already there ! :mrgreen: http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... =24&t=5522
this new look is very popular.

I saw your post and voted.. and was shocked to see the results :wink:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

putnanja wrote:The old theme was simple and it was good. And it worked fine on mobile phones too. The new themes require a lot of css and images i suppose, and takes longer to download on mobiles too.
My mobile gives me an unresponsive screen with hundreds of parallel lines :roll: :eek:
Akshut
BRFite

Post by Akshut »

Vishal Jolapara wrote: Please go with something which has a DARK/DARKER BACKGROUND.

Its what BR should be like - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/892150 << P E R F E C T

Totally agree. That is a nice one, Mods can we have this one after upgrade?
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

Hang on jagan. members would soon forget what old one looked like :twisted: ( see Thimpu) . Just get the main header picture up. that is what will give its distinctive look. and may be darker slightly bigger fonts
Bhaskar
BRFite

Post by Bhaskar »

Sorry for being old fashioned or something. But, I liked the old version better. Maybe this is faster or something.
Is there a way you can incorporate with both layouts, the old one and the new one, because its just my opinion of not liking this new layout, others may not agree..
SwamyG
BRF Oldie

Post by SwamyG »

All these jazzy looks, darker skins, larger fonts yada yada might appeal to the very nunna mujahids, but are fit for photography & social networking sites. In my view a military & strategy site needs to be simple and elegant. 'Simple' and 'elegant' are loaded words and quite relative. The only kewl pictures ought to be the military equipment and personnel. The way we would stand out is the quality of news and discussion material.

If the forums software upgrade forces some changes, so be it. While white background might be harsh on the eyes, black on white is the standard. Additional colors only if really required should be thumb-rule.
rahulm
BRFite

Post by rahulm »

Gift wrapping backgrounds make for very poor stationery.

The first objective is to have the most readable website and black text on a white background offers the best contrast and hence readability.I know its old fashioned but there is a reason we still print black text on white paper.

Sometimes, optimisation can lead to over optimisation with little to no benefit as I think has happened in this instance.