India-US News and Discussion

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Re: India-US News and Discussion

Post by chaanakya »

Barak Hussain Obama accepted invitation to visit India, likely visit in Nov 2010 , almost one year after invitation was extended

WASHINGTON: US President Barack Obama announced Thursday that he has accepted an invitation from Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to visit India in November this year.

"I am delighted to announce tonight that I plan to visit India in early November," Xinhua quoted Obama as saying said in a speech at the reception for the US-India Strategic Dialogue held in Washington.

Manmohan Singh had offered the invitation when he visited Washington in 2009.
Being reported through Xinhua :roll:
Matthew_H
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Matthew_H »

I recently completed an article titled “Space Weapons Should Be Part of Upcoming US-India Strategic Dialogue.” It is my hope that you will take a moment to look it over and perhaps share it with others. It is my objective to call attention to India's space weaponization pursuits before they reach the battlefield.

The paper can be downloaded at the following link: http://bit.ly/Spacewar

I also want to make you aware of a public education project I am developing that focuses on India’s space warfare pursuits. It is called the India Space Weaponization Project: http://bit.ly/IndiaProject

The mission of the India Space Weaponization Project is to analyze the myriad projects and policies fueling India’s efforts to weaponize space. Areas of coverage include the status of efforts to both impede and facilitate India’s push to weaponize space. Analysis will be complemented by an overview of government and military positions, the impact of foreign support, and the technological drivers that may serve as the building blocks of space warfare systems. References to major opinion pieces and official documents will also be highlighted.

I hope that you find my articles interesting, and that they raise awareness of India’s rapidly evolving dual-use technologies and military space systems. I would like to emphasize that the deployment of these military space systems will only serve to undermine India's security. I also believe the United States is supplying India with dual-use technology to fuel the US defense industry, but more importantly the US is setting India up to be a proxy rival to China.

With best wishes to all.

Matthew Hoey
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

Why don't you send a copy to folks from 'armscontrolwonk' ?
munna
BRFite
Location: Pee Arr Eff's resident Constitution Compliance Strategist (Phd, with upper hand)

Post by munna »

Matthew_H wrote:I hope that you find my articles interesting, and that they raise awareness of India’s rapidly evolving dual-use technologies and military space systems. I would like to emphasize that the deployment of these military space systems will only serve to undermine India's security. I also believe the United States is supplying India with dual-use technology to fuel the US defense industry, but more importantly the US is setting India up to be a proxy rival to China
Matthew a few points that might be helpful to the discussion

1) Regarding your point about raising awareness about Indian endeavors in space weapons technologies, they are supposed to be classified if they exist at all, is'nt it? Why do you expect Indians of all people to raise hue and cry against their own government's efforts at advancing the defense capabilities of the nation, if indeed this is the case. Sorry I would rather prefer to raise NO awareness about any programs real or imaginary which concern the capabilities of Indian MIC.

2) You have emphasized that such capabilities would undermine Indian defense. I emphasize that any capability that reduces the power projection gap between India and other major powers of the world is beneficial for us. We would rather have a capability than depend on someone' good wishes and platitudes, that is IF we decide to have it.

3) You have said you BELIEVE that India is being supplied with dual use technologies by US. You know to put it mildly I believe that Julia Roberts is my girlfriend! When most of our science and tech institutions are on restricted entities list you are telling us that US is supplying India with real "stuff". Please provide concrete evidence behind your beliefs.

4) It is tough to make Indian a proxy country and least of all to counter one country. China angle is just a strawman to reduce India to South Asia bunkum.

Finally our government and strategic community will do what they have to do! And whatever they do we shall support them to the hilt.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Matthew_H wrote:I recently completed an article titled “Space Weapons Should Be Part of Upcoming US-India Strategic Dialogue......

Matthew, there is no point in flooding the forum with the same thing. You already posted the same thing in another three threads. :roll:
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Remarks: Obama at U.S.-India Strategic Dialogue Reception June 3, 2010

http://thepage.time.com/remarks-obama-a ... ne-3-2010/
As I look ahead to my visit, I've got another quote that matches up pretty well with Mark Twain's. There's a scholar from Europe who traveled to India more than a century ago, and he said, “Whatever sphere of the human mind you may select for your special study, whether it be language, or religion, or mythology, or philosophy, whether it be law or customs, primitive art or science, you have to go to India.” Because, he said, “some of the most valuable and instructive material of the history of man are treasured up in India and India only.”

So when it comes to the sphere of our work —- building a future of greater prosperity, opportunity and security for our people, there is no doubt: I have to go to India. But even more, I am proud to go to India, and I look forward to the history that we will make together —- progress that will be treasured not just by this generation but by generations to come.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

abhishek_sharma wrote:Press Conference

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2010/06/142642.htm
Thanks for the post/ videos Abhishek!
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

U.S.-India Strategic Dialogue

President Obama speaks as part of a discussion on the future of the relationship between India and the United States at the State Department.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-vi ... c-dialogue
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

Rony wrote:
Matthew_H wrote:I recently completed an article titled “Space Weapons Should Be Part of Upcoming US-India Strategic Dialogue......

Matthew, there is no point in flooding the forum with the same thing. You already posted the same thing in another three threads. :roll:
Matthey_H, I see you have posted the same thing in 4 different threads. Such behavior cannot be tolerated on BRF. If you keep doing this, I will have no option but to stop you from posting. Thanks.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2010/06/ ... .php[quote]
President Bush On Water Boarding: "I'd Do It Again"
Published: June 3, 2010 - 6:22 PM During a visit with the Economic Club of Grand Rapids, Michigan President Bush said this about the water boarding of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed:"Yeah, we water-boarded Khalid Sheikh Mohammed," Bush said of the terrorist who master-minded the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington. He said that event shaped his presidency and convinced him the nation was in a war against terror.
"I'd do it again to save lives."
KSM was the person who, according to President Barack Obama, captured the imagination of the world when he sawed off Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl's head with a knife and broadcast the grisly murder to the world. Listening to President Bush it's refreshing to hear a president speak directly and unequivocally about the murderous Islamists that want to kill Americans. Jennifer Rubin said this about Bush's comments and how they compare to our current president[/quote]
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

A Signature Away
Apoorva Shah is a senior research associate at the American Enterprise Institute.
http://www.american.com/archive/2010/ju ... ture-away/
At this week’s first U.S.-India Strategic Dialogue in Washington, D.C., talks between the two countries will cover the spectrum of bilateral and multilateral issues, from trade and economic cooperation to terrorism and regional security. American participants may even feel the need to bring up India’s strained relationship with Pakistan. But it would serve them well to first consider a Times of India story from earlier this year, which went almost unreported in the United States.
According to an interview in the Indian newspaper with former Pakistani foreign minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri, India and Pakistan in 2007 were days away from reaching a comprehensive accord on their territorial dispute over Kashmir, the axis of the countries’ six-decade-long rivalry and casus belli of three wars between the two nations. Kasuri, Pakistani leader General Pervez Musharraf’s chief diplomat from 2002 to 2007, said in April that the secret deal had been in progress for more than three years and would have led to a full demilitarization of both Indian- and Pakistani-occupied areas of Kashmir and would have awarded the region a package of loose sovereignty at a point “between complete independence and autonomy.” Not only were Indian and Pakistani leaders on board (including, most importantly, the Pakistani military), so was every Kashmiri leader except for one hard-line separatist, Syed Ali Shah Gilani.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

Kind of a professional hack/PR kind of piece, but still interesting:

Oil spill politics: Bobby Jindal takes on Obama & wins
"Our federal government does not need to be making excuses for BP," Jindal said during the news conference, only moments before he received word that the White House had approved his request. "Every day they make us wait, we're losing our battle to protect our coast."

After Hurricane Gustav hit Louisiana in 2008, the Oxford-educated Republican governor proved his mettle as a savvy crisis manager who could reel off detailed information on the number of ice bags and power generators on hand.

Now the oil spill has allowed Jindal to display his grasp of fine details while portraying both BP and Obama as ineffectual, said Bernie Pinsonat of Southern Media and Opinion, a Baton Rouge polling firm.

"Jindal has clearly run circles around (Obama) in being out in front on the issue," Pinsonat said. "You can see the tread marks all over Obama, up and down his back." :D
After that messed up retort against State of Union, looks like Bobby-mon is recovering. Good for him.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2410
Front-runner Haley, an attractive "pro-family" candidate who has the backing of the tea party movement and Sarah Palin, has been the target of not one but two claims of infidelity to her husband — both lodged by conservative political operatives who claim to have slept with her. And on Thursday a state senator who is supporting one of Haley's opponents casually referred to her as a "raghead" and claimed that she is a Manchurian candidate launched by a "network of Sikhs" to take over the governorship.

During a visit Thursday to "Pub Politics," an online political chat show hosted from a bar in Columbia, S.C., state senator Jake Knotts said: "We already got one raghead in the White House; we don't need a raghead in the governor's mansion." Haley's parents are Sikhs of Indian descent; she has converted to Christianity but still attends Sikh religious ceremonies on occasion out of deference to her parents.

According to the Columbia Free Times, Knotts also claimed that Haley was a plant being controlled by nefarious handlers:

Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=88146
Gubernatorial Candidate Nikki Haley, Other Candidates Answer Question About Personal Life

She seems to be leading, the vote is on 8th <
Remarks are very interesting ..
Just the fact that Will Folks covered for Mark Sanfraud speaks volumes about his character; it proves he is a liar. Besides, he's so fat and ugly, I doubt if a hog would have sex with him, much less a good looking woman like her, and a married one at that. To do something like that in South Carolina and then run for Governor would be political suicide. If I had to guess which of them is an idiot, I would say that he would win that contest hands down. You've got my vote Nikki, time to vote out all the incumbents and good ol' boys and put some new blood in the State House and the White House
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Remarks by the Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao at the Inaugural Session of the Seminar on India and the United States: A Strategic Partnership

http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/pr ... Jun/10.asp
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

http://www.hindu.com/2010/06/05/stories ... 191600.htm
Responding to media questions on the subject, Ms. Clinton said: “We don't have any way forward yet on Security Council reform, but we are obviously very committed to considering India. At this point… there is no consensus in the world, and that is the challenge of dealing with multilateral organisations.”
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

abhishek_sharma wrote:US Universities keen to set up Institutions in India

http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/pr ... /Jun/1.asp
Higher education here in US does not see a bright future as of now. Universities are strapped for money. No wonder they want to set up shops where they know a good number of people can pay, and without visa troubles, they would flock.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

THIS IS AMERICA
Arizona School Demands Black & Latino Students’ Faces On Mural Be Changed To White http://wonkette.com/415809/arizona-scho ... z0q0U4qzpt
Maybe it’s time to admit that large chunks of America are in the hands of unreconstructed racists and vulgar idiots, and that the popular election of a black man as president just might’ve pushed these furious, economically doomed old white people into a final rage that is going to end very, very badly. Ready? Here you go: An Arizona elementary school mural featuring the faces of kids who attend the school has been the subject of constant daytime drive-by racist screaming, from adults, as well as a radio talk-show campaign (by an actual city councilman, who has an AM talk-radio show) to remove the black student’s face from the mural, and now the school principal has ordered the faces of the Latino and Black students pictured on the school wall to be repainted as light-skinned children.
chetak
BRF Oldie

Post by chetak »

SM Krishna has simply had a photo op with Hillary and not so polite marching orders to get the nuclear liability bill passed pronto.

Yes indeed, how does one balance a strategic partnership with a “country of concern”?

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/the-s ... s/629744/0

The story of us

G. Balachandran

Posted: Sat Jun 05 2010, 02:08 hrs

While the inaugural high level strategic dialogue between India and the US is a welcome move towards advancing the bilateral relationship, it would be unwise to expect the two-day deliberations to change too much.

Firstly, neither country is yet clear in their own mind about the extent of its strategic partnership, even though the leaders committed them to this partnership as early as January 2001, and initiated the Next Steps in Strategic Partnership (NSSP) in January 2004, agreeing to expand cooperation in three specific areas: civilian nuclear activities, civilian space programmes, and high technology trade. While President Bush took a bold and successful initiative on the nuclear front, progress on the other two has been very slow, with some minor and inconsequential changes made to relax the export control licensing process for India. The NSSP was declared closed by 2005.

The US has a range of classifications for countries with whom they have, or do not have, relations. First of all, there is NATO — that is, very close allies. Then there are the MNNAs — major non-NATO allies — a list of 14 countries that enjoy some, if not all the exemptions from the Arms Export Control Act available to NATO members. Then there is a list of six countries designated by the US State Department as terrorist-supporting countries. There is, further, another classification — friendly foreign countries — designated by the defence secretary for purposes of authorising joint defence R&D programmes. Finally, there are 12 lists of “countries of concern” maintained by various US government agencies in addition to a classified list of “countries of concern” maintained by the State Department. India reportedly figures in at least five of the 12 lists, plus the State Department’s classified list. So how does one balance a strategic partnership with a “country of concern”? The US does not seem to have resolved this dilemma satisfactorily, resulting in some
issues continuing to bedevil bilateral relations.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

although i can understand the purely commercial motivations of US univs in setting up teaching shops in India , this will force our govt and pvt colleges to tone up or lose their 'elite' tags. the higher salaries paid by their foreign shops no doubt will force the goi and pvt places to raise payscales which will eventually benefit all teaching staff and also attract wider pool of people into teaching careers.

a certain amt of money being exported abroad for education will remain inhouse. the campuses will be built and maintained using indian materials and people. the local economies will get boost.

I say let them come. just ensure the EJs dont get their hooks into this process.

in due course over decades as americana wanes (1st foundation), these new foundations setup in chennai , singapore, pusan or guangzhou at the edge of the civilized galatic rim might carry the flame forward, provide shelter to the survivors fleeing the political turmoil and civil wars of the
galatic core and keep alive the flame of high knowledge until the ancient prophesies come true and The Mahdi is reborn to lead a great fleet of silver spaceships to resettle the abandoned planets of trantor and coruscant.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

India expects action, not words : Editorial in Gulf News

Obama and Clinton should spend less time making speeches and more time delivering ... :rotfl:

A high-level meeting loaded with potential was hijacked by inane speechmaking and the efforts of US President Barack Obama to trump his Secretary of State Hillary Clinton with slick wordplay and soaring rhetoric at a reception hosted by her for her Indian counterpart, S.M. Krishna.

This is what makes the efforts of the US to cultivate a relationship with India so superficial. Words of praise and eloquent quotes at a high-level meeting of dignitaries are insincere when one party constantly plays a balancing act in a game that has little regard for truth and is based on shifting realities and perceived through a prism of self-interest.

The sceptics will remain underwhelmed by the president's smart wordplay because the US must give India tangible proof that there are going to be specific deliverables in this "mutually beneficial" relationship. So far the former has fallen short in keeping its part of the bargain — the initiation of the nuclear deal notwithstanding.

There is limited engagement in the area of counter-terrorism, a few Indian science and defence entities are still facing sanctions and Washington is reluctant to endorse India for a permanent seat on the UN Security Council. This is a one-way street that goes the US way
Muppalla
BRF Oldie

Post by Muppalla »

Singha wrote:although i can understand the purely commercial motivations of US univs in setting up teaching shops in India , this will force our govt and pvt colleges to tone up or lose their 'elite' tags. the higher salaries paid by their foreign shops no doubt will force the goi and pvt places to raise payscales which will eventually benefit all teaching staff and also attract wider pool of people into teaching careers.

a certain amt of money being exported abroad for education will remain inhouse. the campuses will be built and maintained using indian materials and people. the local economies will get boost.

I say let them come. just ensure the EJs dont get their hooks into this process.

in due course over decades as americana wanes (1st foundation), these new foundations setup in chennai , singapore, pusan or guangzhou at the edge of the civilized galatic rim might carry the flame forward, provide shelter to the survivors fleeing the political turmoil and civil wars of the
galatic core and keep alive the flame of high knowledge until the ancient prophesies come true and The Mahdi is reborn to lead a great fleet of silver spaceships to resettle the abandoned planets of trantor and coruscant.
I agree 1000% with this. To avoid EJ type stuff all you need to do is not to allow cources in History and social sciences. Just free up education in Technology, science and Management so anyone from anywhere in the world can put a shop.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

That will not be enough. US universities require some humanities courses - at the cost of professional courses - to get a tech/science/management degree. You can expect the explicitly EJ universities to exploit this to the fullest.

Good accreditation bodies are required so that degrees granted are recognised only if the underlying courses include similar number of professional credits as in existing goverment recognised universities.
Altair
BRF Oldie

Post by Altair »

Matthew_H wrote: I would like to emphasize that the deployment of these military space systems will only serve to undermine India's security. I also believe the United States is supplying India with dual-use technology to fuel the US defense industry, but more importantly the US is setting India up to be a proxy rival to China.
Matthew Hoey
Hoey,
I have read you article in your website. Your 'propaganda' is very similar to ones published during 50's when US and Soviet Union were in a arms race. Dont get me wrong but 'we' dont have "Golden Eye" 8) Someone lead you in a wrong path buddy. Its just fiction. Although I agree there were some serious studies about them but a prototype was never built.
Peace
Altair
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

although i can understand the purely commercial motivations of US univs in setting up teaching shops in India , this will force our govt and pvt colleges to tone up or lose their 'elite' tags. the higher salaries paid by their foreign shops no doubt will force the goi and pvt places to raise payscales which will eventually benefit all teaching staff and also attract wider pool of people into teaching careers.

WalMart wil come in - drive mom-pop shops out. Create a user based economy, people will get into more debt (of course to US companies), to cover their debt they will peddle more insurance (of course user pays for all that), eat more fast food, more cases of BP/diabetes, generic medications that suppress the cause and never cure the problem, drive local medications out because US FDA has not tested it (in India!), more deaths, causing the population to decline.

Rich will get richer, poor more poorer. IF Maoists survive and cause US companies some pain Secretary Clinton will have one more fatwa to issue for GoI to solve the issue or she will release more Taliban to deal with India ..........................

Currently GOTUS is very busy trying to figure out how to export or outsource the pain from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill to India. IF not India since the gulf is named after Mexico, they feel that at least Mexico should bear 50% of the cost.

Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Two N.J. men arrested at JFK airport before boarding plane to join Islamist terrorist group, authorities say

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... error.html
Two New Jersey men intent on killing American troops were arrested Saturday as they boarded flights to link up with a virulent jihadist group in Somalia, authorities said. The men, both North Jersey residents, were charged with conspiring to commit an act of international terrorism through a group tied to Osama bin Laden’s al Qaeda network, according to officials familiar with the details of the arrests.Mohamed Hamoud Alessa, 20, of North Bergen, and Carlos Eduardo "Omar" Almonte, 24, of Elmwood Park were apprehended at John F. Kennedy International Airport in Queens before they could board separate flights to Egypt, where they were to start journeys to Somalia. The men were arrested by teams of state and federal law-enforcement agents who have been investigating the pair since October 2006, according to the officials, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the operation publicly.
Late Saturday night, the state h
( No Hope for ROPE)
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

.India's Reliance in Informal Talks With AT&T
India's Reliance Communications Ltd. and U.S. telecom giant AT&T Inc. have sounded out each other's interest about a potential transaction in which AT&T would take a significant minority stake in the Indian cellphone company, according to people familiar with the matter.The people characterized the informal discussions as very early, and cautioned that no deal is imminent, but said advisers and officials at the companies have been in touch in the past few weeks to explore the idea. Reliance, which is backed by billionaire Anil Ambani, said on Sunday its board has approved the sale of up to a 26% ...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 72834.html
Guddu
BRFite

Post by Guddu »

Some incisive comments about USA and Ombaba by a friend...

"As Sarkozy asked in a spontaneous moment "C'est debile?" Oui, oui, monsieur il est debile.

Here's how things are stacking up for me at the moment:

Our policy in Afg is utterly incoherent. BO says we are there because it is a vital war of national self-defense. This is why we will leave it up to Karzai and the central government as we begin to leave in a year. The Wackostans will return to their wicked ways in full measure. The ISI will act accordingly. Pak's nuke program, if it has not already slipped its leash, will do so once again. BO has thrown away everything in Iraq. Iran will dominate via the Shias. Turkey, will work with Iran to screw the Kurds. This may be part of why Turkey just assisted and enabled Iran's fraudulent pretense at meeting objections to its enrichment program. Iran will go nuke. Russia, having given up nothing in return for our pulling the rug from under Poland and the Czechs, will finish re-establishing its dominance over East Europe, and central Asia. Its action in and against Georgia have ensured that no pipelines will be built through Georgia. Thus central Asian gas will not be able to get to Europe outside of Russian control. Central Europe, especially Germany, will increasingly be subject to Russian whims. With Iran going nuke, and BO and the US's proven track record of being an unreliable umbrella, the Arab mid-east will seek to go nuke as well. Turkey will seek to re-assert its historical regional dominance and influence. The farce it just pulled off at Israel's expense is IMHO the sign that a very large and very important decision has been made. If Israel's blockade against arms in Gaza is broken, Iran will have Israel surrounded: via Hezbollah, thanks to Israel's bellicus interruptus of a few years ago, it how has some 50,000 rockets which reach most of Israel. In Gaza it will be able to reach what it cannot from Lebanon. It certainly will be able to reach Israel's nuke reactor. The US presence in Iraq will soon be meaningless. Israel's extermination is likely to be attempted. In the meantime, back in the USA the laws of gravity and of supply and demand will assert themselves and our final economic bubble will burst. We will all be Californians now. In search of purchasing the Latino vote, BO and Congress will grant amnesty to 10-20 million illegals, plus visas to some 20-50 million more family members. They will vote Democratic, and the Republican Party will become as dead a letter for the entire nation as it already is for New England and the Atlantic States."
mnag
BRFite -Trainee

Post by mnag »

Reported in TOILEt paper US agency accuses India of expanding military N-site

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 018252.cms

VIENNA: The Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS), a Washington-based body which tends to take selective stands on nuclear non-proliferation, has sought to embarrass India on the eve of the a five-day meeting of the Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) starting here on Monday by claiming that the Indian government is expanding its military nuclear site near Mysore.

In a report supported by satellite imagery posted on Google Earth and said to have been captured on March 3 last, ISIS claimed that the site, known as the Rare Materials Plant (RMP), is India’s military gas centrifuge uranium enrichment programme. It continues that initial excavation and construction of a large building or buildings can be seen where, according to a 2005 satellite image, there were ponds, as the area was undeveloped.

Also, based on procurement data and public advertisements for bidding requests, ISIS concludes: ‘‘If the construction seen in the March 3, 2010, imagery is for a new gas centrifuge hall, India’s uranium enrichment capacity at RMP will be greatly expanded.’’ In 2006, it estimated that India was on the verge of adding at least 3,000 centrifuges to the RMP.

The IAEA, a technical wing of the UN, has certified its satisfaction with regards to inspections of Indian nuclear reactors following the 2009 pact on Application of Safeguards to Civilian Nuclear Facilities between the Agency and the Government of India.
Anujan
Forum Moderator

Post by Anujan »

Well. Didn't w sign a deal that we get to do whatever we want with our militay N-installations? NPAs can go take a hike.
vina
BRF Oldie
Location: Doing Nijikaran, Udharikaran and Baazarikaran to Commies and Assorted Leftists

Post by vina »

In 2006, it estimated that India was on the verge of adding at least 3,000 centrifuges to the RMP.
Can mean only one thing. The Nook Sub project is going ahead full steam!. No other use for enriched uranium in India for military purposes.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

X-post

Gates pushes for US birds in meeting with Menon..
The secretary pointed out that his meeting today with Shiv Shankar Menon, India’s national security advisor, took place at almost exactly the same time that Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was meeting with India’s external affairs minister. “In a way,” Gates said, “it’s symbolic of the global connection, if you will, between the United States and India, and the tremendous improvement in relations and opportunities for cooperation.”

Gates added that he and Menon also discussed defense trade and foundational agreements that are important to further progress. India is contemplating bids for its next medium, multi-role fighter aircraft, Gates added, so he took the opportunity to praise the U.S.-made F-16 and F/A-18 as “high-quality competitors.” The need for export controls on both sides of the U.S.-India relationship was another topic in their meeting, the secretary said.
http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=59478
csharma
BRFite

Post by csharma »

From Orbat. Accurately summarising how ordinary folks are looking at this.

Editor is overcome with gratitude that the US has allowed access to Bombay 2008 planner David Hedley. America's generosity is astounding. Given India has a pantheon of deities numbering in the thousands or even in the ten thousands, surely it is not too much to deify the US? After all, only a bona fide deity can match the magnificent beneficence of America in letting India talk to Headly.

Just to remind readers, Headly planned and organized the Bombay terror attack which caused hundreds of Indian casualties as well as several dozen foreign ones. The crime was perpetrated in India, and as such you'd think the man should be tried in India. But leave alone try, the US till now has not even given access to this terrorist. Whatever access India is given will be tightly controlled.

The reason is the US, without consulting India, promised Headley that in return for his cooperation, he would not be extradited to India. Does anyone in America wonder that the Indians suspect a cover-up, given the US has actively acted to frustrate India from making this man pay for his crime?

Our suggestion for the new American deity will be a rather large Uncle Sam with the face of a weasel, on which the plump, many-armed Ganesh can rest his feet. We suggest Ganesh because we are told some mildly confused American evangelist said the other day he didn't believe a deity with many arms could show him the way to heaven. The man, oddly enough, had it right. Ganesh does not show you the way to heaven. You pray to him to give you material wealth in this world.

Oh, did we mention that the icon we suggest needs to be added to? The Uncle Sam weasel in his turn will rest himself on a surpassingly ugly and exceedingly energetic creature kissing Sam's butt. That will represent the Government of India at its finest.
D Roy
BRFite

Post by D Roy »

Siddhi Vinayak aka Ganesha is the remover of obstacles. So you can bhery bhery much pray to him to remove obstacles to the attainment of moksha/ salvation.

I will be blunt --- this kind of casual talk about religion often gets on my nerves especially when it shows an even less than superficial understanding of hindoooism.
svenkat
BRF Oldie

Post by svenkat »

FWIW,I agree with DRoyji.
Tamang
BRFite

Post by Tamang »

Apart from Headly, can we please get access to Warren Anderson. Can we get him extradited?
CRamS
BRF Oldie

Post by CRamS »

Can anyone tell me as to why this is news worthy in an Indian newspaper?
Vivek Raghuvanshi
BRFite

Post by Vivek Raghuvanshi »

http://corporaterisks.info/blog/?p=381

Hillary Rodham Clinton Secretary of State – Remarks With Indian Minister of External Affairs S.M. Krishna After Their Meeting

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2010/06/142642.htm

SECRETARY CLINTON: Good afternoon, everyone, and let me again warmly welcome all of our Indian guests, most particularly Minister Krishna, here to the State Department. It is indeed an honor to host this inaugural Strategic Dialogue between India and the United States, and this makes good on plans that Minister Krishna and I announced in India last summer and it advances the vision of partnership articulated by President Obama and Prime Minister Singh. I know that President Obama is looking forward to joining us later today and underscoring his personal commitment to strengthening the U.S.-India relationship.

India is an indispensable partner and a trusted friend. We believe that a rising India is good for the United States and good for the world.

Our two nations – great democracies, dynamic and interconnected economies, and engines of progress – understand that our fortunes in this new century are increasingly linked. Our people are more connected today than ever before, and we face complex global challenges that will be difficult to solve without the United States and India working together. And we also face opportunities that can only be seized by tapping the talents and innovation of both the Indian and American peoples.

Today, we’ve had a series of very productive discussions about a wide range of our common concerns, touching on bilateral, regional, and global issues.

First, on security. Both India and the United States have seen our cities and our citizens targeted by violent extremists, and we share concerns about the continuing threat of terrorism and we share concerns about the dangers of nuclear proliferation. For our peoples, security is more than a priority; it is an imperative. And it was a prime topic of discussion today.

Minister Krishna and I discussed the importance of India’s leadership to promoting security, stability, and prosperity across Asia and beyond. We are collaborating on a Counterterrorism Cooperation Initiative to improve information sharing and capacity building, and we agreed to expand cooperation in cybersecurity. We are deepening our already extensive military-to-military partnership.

And I thanked Minister Krishna for India’s generous contributions in Afghanistan. And I was delighted to learn at lunch how deep the ties between India and Afghanistan go back, and it is clear that what India has been doing in development projects are very significant and we look forward to finding ways to collaborate.

Charting an energy future that is secure and sustainable is a crucial challenge for both of us. I am pleased that we have completed a nuclear reprocessing agreement nearly six months ahead of schedule, underlying our commitment to the civil nuclear accord of 2008. We are building on the Partnership to Advance Clean Energy established by President Obama and Minister Singh, including by expanding our work together on energy efficiency, smart grids, forest management, and so much else. And we are committed to working on an action plan on shale gas cooperation prior to President Obama’s trip to India. We have launched a new dialogue on climate change, discussing how to continue the progress made in Copenhagen, and work more closely together.

On the economy, we discussed the importance of capitalizing on the doubling of our trade over the last five years, bringing together experts from across our governments to focus on macroeconomic policy, financial sector reforms, and infrastructure financing. U.S. and Indian cabinet secretaries and ministers will meet on June 22nd in Washington with the members of the US-India CEO Forum to hear recommendations on specific steps our two governments can take to expand trade and investment.

Now, we know that innovation is a source of growth and dynamism, and we discussed greater collaboration on technology, including exchanging delegations of high-tech innovation leaders later this year and developing new partnerships and cross-cutting solutions. Passage of legislation allowing foreign universities to open campuses in India would be a significant step forward, and I am pleased that a number of U.S. institutions have already expressed an interest.

One of the areas where we intend to have closer scientific collaboration is food security, boosting the productivity of our farmers and giving more people in more places the tools they need to feed themselves and their communities. Our new Memorandum of Understanding on Agricultural Cooperation and Food Security is part of this important effort. And we agreed to establish working groups to develop concrete proposals for the U.S. and India to enhance food security in third countries, strengthen farm-to-market links and food processing in India, and develop an initiative to expand weather and crop forecasting.

On all these issues, we have stayed relentlessly focused on how to deliver results that will make a difference in people’s lives. After all, that is what this is supposed to be about. We want to help people in India and in the United States feel more secure, more prosperous, and more able to fulfill their own God-given potential.

We will meet again next year in Delhi to resume this high-level discussion. But between now and then, we will work every day to translate our shared goals into concrete actions. And the dialogue must extend beyond these official channels to our homes, our businesses, our communities, our universities – every aspect of our respective societies – to build mutual understanding and respect between our peoples.

I am very proud to be part of this process and to join with Minister Krishna and other leaders and experts we have convened from both sides to help deepen this defining partnership.

Thank you so much, Minister.

FOREIGN MINISTER KRISHNA: Thank you, Secretary Clinton. Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I am particularly pleased to be co-chairing this dialogue with Secretary Clinton, whom we consider as a dear and longstanding friend. She’s a true believer in the vast potential of the India-U.S. partnership.

I want to thank her for her gracious hospitality and the splendid cooperation by her colleagues that has no doubt gone into the preparations for this inaugural meeting of the Indo-U.S. Strategic Dialogue. This dialogue, as Secretary Clinton said, is a unique forum that really brings together the different threads of our extraordinarily wide agenda and allows us to look at the entire relationship in an integrated strategic fashion.

I would like to emphasize the importance that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh attaches to India-U.S. Strategic Dialogue and to Indo-U.S. relationship. He and President Obama reaffirmed, when they last met, their commitment to taking this relationship to a new level of coordination and cooperation, a global strategic partnership for the 20th century – 21st century between India and the United States. We consider our strategic partnership with the United States as one of our key foreign policy priorities. The United States is the largest economy in the world and India is emerging as one of the largest and one of its fastest growing economies.

The relationship rests on a solid bedrock of shared values. There are few relationships in the world that have so much potential as India-U.S. relations. Therefore, I believe that our cooperation is not only for great mutual benefit, but we can work together to make a significant contribution to global peace, prosperity, and stability in the 21st century.

Secretary Clinton and I, joined by senior colleagues, have had a very comprehensive and productive discussion today. Our discussions covered a broad range of global economic and security issues. We agreed to continue the practice of close and regular consultation and to remain sensitive to each of others’ interests and concerns. We expressed the hope that the G-20 meeting in Canada later this month will stimulate further coordinated international efforts for economic recovery and stabilization and to safeguard our goal of balanced and sustainable development. We had a very good exchange of views on reforms necessary not only in the international economic architecture, but also in the global political and security architecture, including the UN Security Council, so as to reflect contemporary global realities, as President Obama’s national security strategy also points out.

We shared concerns about developments in Asia, including on the Korean Peninsula. We have a common interest in advancing security and stability across Asia. We shared our perspectives on South and Central Asia, East and Southeast Asia, and the Middle East and the Indian Ocean region. India and the United States have a shared convergent goal of a stable, peaceful, pluralistic and democratic Afghanistan, which protects the rights and dignity of all sections of Afghan society. India and the United States are partners in achieving these goals. I conveyed our view that these goals can be best advanced through sustained international commitment in Afghanistan by building Afghan capacities for governance and security through initiatives that are led and controlled by Afghans themselves.

We agreed on the importance of avoiding choices that lead us to the dark alleys of the 1990s and the importance of safeguarding the gains and progress that have been made since then, especially with regard to the position and rights of women in Afghanistan. Our dialogue has further increased our understanding on the nature and source of terrorism that threatens both of our societies. We agreed that terrorism, terrorist groups, operate as a syndicate, leveraging each others’ assets and strength, and are increasingly converging together on motivation and targets.

Hence, a segmented approach towards terrorism, especially in our neighborhood, could not succeed. We are pleased with the way our counterterrorism cooperation has progressed, and today we have agreed to intensified (inaudible). We discussed the steps that we should take to further deepen our growing defense and security cooperation, including defense trade and collaboration, which has grown rapidly in recent years.

We had, again, a very good discussion on economic cooperation, high technology exports to India, cooperation in higher education, healthcare, science and technology, empowerment, agriculture, climate change, and energy. In each of these areas, there is immense opportunities for mutually beneficial cooperation that will make a significant contribution towards creating jobs and prosperity in both countries.

I am pleased that there is a strong balance and momentum in trade and investment in both directions. Secretary Clinton and I agreed that we have to go beyond multiplying our trade and investments. We are two innovative societies with a proven track record of success in partnerships for innovation. India is making a modest but meaningful contribution, based on its experience and expertise on (inaudible) resources, to development efforts in other countries. This is an area where we have a lot to learn from each other, and we had a very useful discussion on these issues today.

In short, our dialogue was wide-ranging. We have identified the areas of our strategic priority and a roadmap for cooperation in each of these areas. Secretary Clinton and I have agreed to monitor the progress and meet again in 2011, and we look forward to warmly welcoming President Obama and the family in India later this year.

I would like to thank my distinguished colleagues, Shri Kapil Sibal; Dr. Montek Singh Ahluwalia, deputy chairman, planning commission; Shri Prithviraj Chavan, minister for science and technology, and other senior officers who ably assisted us here in Washington, after having held a series of meetings with their U.S. counterparts for this Strategic Dialogue today.

Madam Secretary, thank you again, once again.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you, Minister. Thank you so much.

MR. CROWLEY: We have time for two questions on each side. We’ll begin with Jill Dougherty from CNN.

QUESTION: Thank you very much. Thank you, Madam Secretary. I have a question on the flotilla clash. What can you tell us about the Turkish American who was killed in that clash? Does his death make it more likely that an American will participate in any investigation? And also, Prime Minister Netanyahu is now saying that he is willing to evaluate new ideas on the blockade of Gaza. Do you have – does the United States have any new ideas in this regard?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Well, Jill, we can confirm that a U.S.-Turkish dual national, Mr. Furkan Dogan, was among those killed in the raid on the flotilla. Our ambassador to Turkey, Ambassador Jim Jeffrey, has been in contact with the family. We’ve offered not only our heartfelt condolences but any kind of consular assistance that the family might need at this time.

We are still gathering information about what happened. We know that there was another American citizen injured on one of the ships. There is also a third American who was injured during a subsequent protest and remains hospitalized.

Protecting the welfare of American citizens is a fundamental responsibility of our government and one that we take very seriously. We are in constant contact with the Israeli Government, attempting to obtain more information about our citizens. We have made no decisions at this point on any additional specific actions that our government should take with respect to our own citizens.

But as we have stated continuously, we expect the Israeli Government to conduct a prompt, impartial, credible, and transparent investigation that conforms to international standards and gets to all the facts surrounding this tragic event. We are open to different ways of assuring that it is a credible investigation, including urging appropriate international participation.

With respect to Gaza, we are evaluating ways of expanding the flow of humanitarian assistance to the people of Gaza while protecting Israel’s legitimate security interests. There’s a great deal of consultation going on as well as work in our own government to determine ideas that we would share with the Israelis and other international partners, because as I have said before, we have to deal with the situation in Gaza in a way that both protects Israel’s legitimate security interests and fulfills the needs of the people of Gaza. And that is what we’re seeking.

QUESTION: Could I just ask one clarification? When you talk about international participation in that investigation, again, do you believe that a U.S. – an American should be part of that investigation?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Well, Jill, we haven’t made any decision on that. That was part of the presidential statement that came out of the United Nations Security Council on Monday night, and we are engaged in broad-based discussions with the Israelis and others.

MR. CROWLEY: Lalit Jha from the Press Trust of India.

QUESTION: Thank you, P.J. Mr. Minister, as you conclude your first Strategic Dialogue with United States, which went beyond your scheduled time here today, can you give us a sense of the U.S.-India relations now and the way forward? And what are the takeaways for India from this meeting?

And Madam Secretary, you spoke about India’s being an indispensable partner and trusted friend. So what is holding United States from endorsing India as a member of – permanent member of the United Nations Security Council?

Thank you.

FOREIGN MINISTER KRISHN: Well, this is a uniquely structured Strategic Dialogue which has taken place. The idea was first (inaudible) by Secretary Clinton when she visited New Delhi last summer. Since then, we have been working towards this all-important Strategic Dialogue.

United States and India share so many commonalities. We are nations which truly believe in democracy and in democratic values. We both are pluralistic societies. We both respect human rights. And we both believe that together we can play a very constructive role in shaping the global events, in stabilizing peace and tranquility, and perhaps this partnership, this relationship between our two countries, will go a long way in sending out a message clear and loud that these are two democracies which believe in equality, which believe in equal respect, and which also believes that we have a bigger role to play in shaping the destinies of humankind. And this Strategic Dialogue is moving in that direction.

SECRETARY CLINTON: I would just thank the minister for that very elegant and eloquent description of the overarching framework of these dialogues, because that’s exactly how seriously we take the importance of this interaction. And of course, there are many specific actions that are being worked on by our respective governments, and we will be making a report – I to President Obama and Minister Krishna to Prime Minister Singh – detailing all of the work that has been accomplished. And I hope that our press on both sides will focus on it because we really are committed to trying to invigorate the actions that will demonstrate exactly what Minister Krishna talked about: our commitment to advancing humankind.

So I know that it won’t necessarily get headlines in either one of our media, but working to expand access to higher education is a huge deal. Working to better coordinate on science, technology, and innovation, exchanging scientists, supporting centers of excellence – who knows what benefits will flow from that. Working to improve the productivity of agriculture, exchanging views on how best we can deal with health issues that are going to overwhelm our respective health systems – I mean, there’s just so much, so much richness, so much of a commitment. And I’m very much looking forward to this continuing work.

As to your specific question, I said in my opening remarks that we don’t have any way forward yet on Security Council reform, but we are obviously very committed to considering India. At this point, as you probably know, there is no consensus in the world and that is the challenge of dealing with multilateral organizations. I think as Minister Krishna said at another point in our meeting today, once you get to multilateral negotiations it slows down considerably. But we are definitely committed to the consideration of India.

MR. CROWLEY: Andy Quinn from Reuters.

QUESTION: Madam Secretary, Mr. Minister, Afghanistan is obviously a big focus for both countries. And President Karzai’s peace jirga has recently concluded and endorsed his proposal to begin reaching out to the Taliban, and indeed many of them are saying they should be reaching out not only to foot soldiers, but even up to the leaders of Taliban to try to bring them into peace talks.

So my question to both of you is: How do both of you see the end game moving forward in Afghanistan? How do India and Pakistan balance their interests in the country? And what do we see for the Taliban as a potential future partner there?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Well, I will begin. I don’t think that the consultative peace jirga has concluded. I think it is in the midst of very intense discussions. As I understand it, there have been more than 50 discussion groups that are underway, and reports are being made at the end of each day. And then the leaders of the jirga will be reporting to President Karzai, and all of that will be taken into account.

We’ve been very clear in our approach that we think that there is a basis for reintegrating Taliban fighters back into society, but we do not believe anyone should be either reintegrated or reconciled on a political basis without renouncing al-Qaida, renouncing violence, committing to live by the laws and constitution of the nation of Afghanistan.

There is no military solution to most conflicts. This is not unique in that regard. There have to be political decisions that go along with military actions. And we have told President Karzai, most recently on his visit, that we understand that, and we support his efforts. But of course, we want to be kept fully informed and we want to be able to work with him. And it is clear that there are some people who call themselves Taliban who already are coming off the battlefield, they want to return home, they have no ideological commitment. And then there are others who tried to blow up the peace jirga.

So this is not something that you can have a blanket statement about. This is painstaking work to try to identify those with whom there may be the opportunity for some political reconciliation, and others for whom there is no prospect and they have to be defeated and deterred from their continuing violence against the people of Afghanistan, against our troops, and they have to be rooted out of their safe havens in Pakistan where they are being a very grave threat to the Government of Pakistan now. So this is a matter that crosses borders, poses a transnational threat, as we have seen on numerous occasions, and must be undertaken with full awareness of that.

FOREIGN MINISTER KRISHNA: Well, we made our position very clear when the London conference convened by (inaudible) on Afghanistan. There we spelled out that anyone, any group of persons who disassociate themselves from various terrorist outfits, and who are willing to go along, accepting the Afghan constitution and then the Afghan-led Government by President Karzai, then we should not have any problems in dealing with them and then in bringing to the mainstream of Afghan society.

India and Afghanistan have a very close relationship. It is not yesterday’s, it’s the day before yesterday’s, at one of our morning session, there was a mention that there are Kabulis – that means who reside in Kabul – in almost every (inaudible) center in India. And then our ambassador was mentioning about the Kabuliwala, the movie, which was centered around Kabul. So this historical and civilizational affinity that we have with Afghanistan makes us to think about Afghanistan and then Afghan brothers and sisters, you know. And then especially, I know how deeply Secretary Clinton feels about the women and the children.

The last time when I had the opportunity of exchanging views on Afghanistan with her, she was so happy mentioning to me about the number of children who are back in schools in Afghanistan. I think that the kind of Afghanistan that we all would like to think about and look forward to. And anything India can do in trying to lift Afghanistan towards that frontier, that frontier of children going back to schools, mothers being able to freely communicate with their relatives and friends without fear, I think that is the kind of society for which we are working. And then our contribution in Afghanistan is a very constructive nature. It is not military driven. It is development driven. And we are concentrating, in spite of the price that we have had to pay – there have been a series of attacks on our mission.

I would like to – I visited Kabul twice, and then I have conveyed to those who are working under such difficult circumstances where India has been the target of attack. And we know the reason, you know. And, well, knowing the reason, knowing the motives, we are going to stay in Afghanistan to defeat these terrorist (inaudible).

QUESTION: Madam Secretary –

MR. CROWLEY: No, no. Goyal, no, no. We can finish up (inaudible).

QUESTION: Mr. Minister, last week the White House released its National Security Strategy in which the Obama Administration identified India, along with Russia and China, as emerging powers with which it wanted to deepen and strengthen its relationship. Now, where does India place the United States in this context with regards to its strategic and national interest?

And Madam Secretary, to you, to what – this is called the Strategic Dialogue, and to what extent does it represent any change in strategy at a sort of a macro level versus continuity? And if does, could you just give us some details on what that change is? Thank you.

FOREIGN MINISTER KRISHNA: President Obama’s strategy statement is a very welcome development from India’s point of view. Well, we have always felt comforted with our association with United States. Our partnership has gone through various vicissitudes but one thing stands out very clear, that it is an enduring partnership. And we would like to continue that partnership. And while doing so, we do appreciate the enormous responsibilities that partnership (inaudible) on India, perhaps on the United States also. Well, India is willing to discharge its part of the responsibility and we are thankful to President Obama for the kind of strategy statements that have been made on his behalf and, well, needless for me to say that millions of Indians are looking forward to President Obama’s visit later this year to India.

SECRETARY CLINTON: I believe that our current partnership represents both continuity and change. As Minister Krishna said, we have a long, enduring relationship with India, going back to independence. We have had many partnerships that have proven beneficial to both of our countries, going back through that time. Certainly, the Green Revolution, which was an American-Indian project, stands as one of the great achievements of the 20th century, or perhaps all of human history. So the continuity that was evidenced by my husband’s efforts to reach out to India, evidenced by President Bush’s continuing efforts, and a commitment to a tangible demonstration of the modern state of our relationship with the civ nuclear deal, has now come to a point where we wish to both continue and deepen the enduring relationship.

But we want to broaden the base of that relationship. So the comprehensive agenda that is encompassed by this Strategic Dialogue goes far beyond one project or one visit or any single aspect. Instead, we are committed to not only working government-to-government, as we have been today and as we have for the last year, but also building on the very strong foundation that exists between the Indian and American peoples. This is an affair of the heart, not just of the head. The relationship between India and the United States and between our peoples is rooted in common values, shared aspirations.

We know we have different historical experiences, we have different cultural perspectives; we understand that. But underneath it, in addition to our common humanity, there is this commitment to democracy and diversity, to the rule of law, to the empowerment of people, that sets the United States and India apart. We often talk about how India is the largest democracy, we’re the oldest democracy, we’re the largest economy, India is making rapid progress and moving up with its economic growth.

So this is a relationship that is so rooted in our values, and that’s why I think it stands the test of time despite the vicissitudes that come between any two great countries or any two people, for that matter. But persisting and understanding and working through on a basis of mutual respect is how we intend to build an even stronger relationship through the mechanism of this Strategic Dialogue in the years ahead.

Thank you.

MR. CROWLEY: Minister Krishna has a meeting at the White House, so we have to end it here. Thank you very much.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you all, very much.

MINISTER KRISHNA: Thank you.
shukla
BRFite

Post by shukla »

Obama looking for “ambitious results” during his India visit
President Barack Obama on his maiden visit to India will be looking for “ambitious results” with the focus on forging closer links on strategic issues. “The (US) President himself is looking forward to ambitious results and again sees our relations with India as one of the most consequential and indispensable of our partnerships in the world of the 21st century,” Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia Robert Blake, said.

“The Strategic Dialogue that we initiated last week took US—India relations to unprecedented new levels of cooperation that will be highlighted during the (US) President’s visit in November,” Mr. Blake told reporters in his interaction after the first Indo-U.S. Strategic Dialogue held here on June 3.

The U.S. will develop a schedule and a series of results to match Mr. Obama’s goals, Mr. Blake said. “That’s exactly what we’re starting to work on right now, is the details of what the President’s visit will entail, what will be the key areas of strategic focus, where will he visit, and all of these many important questions,” Blake said when asked what should one expect from Mr. Obama’s November visit.
Sanku
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanku »

There is one thing to come out of the Bhopal Gas tragedy judgment coming now, the US's blatant double standards and hypocrisy is brought to front and is being played out in full media glare. Hopefully the media will pick up other instances and fields as well and not merely this one.

From NDTV
Bhopal gas tragedy: The US' double standards
http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/bhopal-g ... php?u=1301

US on Bhopal gas tragedy: Chapter is closed
http://www.ndtv.com/news/india/bhopal-g ... php?u=1230

Was told to go soft on Anderson: Ex-CBI official
http://www.ndtv.com/news/videos/video_p ... 736&u=1310

CNN IBN
Bhopal gas leak & BP oil spill: Indian lives cheap?
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/bhopal-gas-l ... ml?from=tn

One GREAT fallout
Govt looks at N-bill after Bhopal court verdict
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/govt-looks-a ... ml?from=tn

US non-committal on Carbide ex-CEO's extradition
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/us-noncommit ... ml?from=tn

Times Now
For US, Bhopal 'chapter is closed'
http://www.timesnow.tv/videoshow/4346898.cms