LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by Rahul M »

the canopy is blown away first in any ejection sequence.
ShivaS
BRFite

Post by ShivaS »

To make rivet free skins you need Hi tech extrusion. forming methods with very good control on tolerances other wise instead of Dream girl Hema malini (ok Hema mami) we end up like Nanacy Polosi speaker of the house with a stiff face(lift).
So using Riemann integral method make chota pannel rivet maro and polish karo
Last edited by archan on 24 Jul 2010 19:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: username changed. And save your colorful language for nukkad.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Actually the helmet is attached to the canopy and when the canopy opens during eject the helmet is removed so that fresh air can come in. :P Let's move on
kvraghav
BRFite

Post by kvraghav »

Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

The ventral portion (underside) of the aircraft gets tapered off from the centre pylon towards the engine exhaust.
This line could be kept simply straight (similar to Mirage/Eurofighter Typhoon) in Tejas MkII to accomodate a bigger engine say more than 100 KN thrust. Offcourse the fuselage of that portion would have to be tweaked to incorporate the bigger diameter.

This is phenomenon is with Rafale as well.... :roll:

LCA line drawing :--
http://img329.imageshack.us/i/800pxtejas3viewbom4.gif/
Rafale Line drawing:--
http://img478.imageshack.us/i/novi13ot.jpg/

Eurofighter line drawing :--
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ng.svg.png
Vikram W
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vikram W »

KrishG wrote:

Clearly shows the auxiliary intakes.
the video says its a maiden flight but don't they usually leave the under carriage un-retracted on maiden flights ? ...just curious
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Avinandan wrote: Rafale Line drawing:--
That is not the Rafale. That's the Yugoslavian Novi Avion. The single engine should have alerted you methinks. :P
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

enqyoob wrote:Move over, Dileep.I have a much stoopider question. How come the canopy when fully open, has a nice I-beam sticking out right above the pilot's helmet? What happens if the ejection button is pressed, to that beam?
Looks like a handle to me -- also it seems that its not directly overhead -- more of sideways. The angle of the video makes it look like directly overhead.
naird
BRFite

Post by naird »

One chota wish list -- i wish LCA had a bubble canopy !!! :D
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

During HF-24 testing, unintended canopy separation killed one or two pilots. So bubbles etc. may have been replaced by technology from solid KSRTC bus cockpit.
But hey, that is one hefty I-beam, and it looks like it is straight above the helmet.
Craig Alpert
BRFite

Post by Craig Alpert »

one want's a bubble canopy, the IAF want's a better engine/avionics, and I want a modern cockpit a la 5 generation) a massive screen with IPad like Touchscreen interface, and Pixel Qi Hi-def Screen!!! Phew, it's a good think WE don't write up the ASR's or else, LCA will never reach MKII design specs!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

enqyoob wrote: But hey, that is one hefty I-beam, and it looks like it is straight above the helmet.
There are 3 types of air combat
1) BVR
2) WVR
3) Hand to hand

In the last type the enemy pilot will try to prise open the canopy with a knife/screwdriver and put a hand inside to stab the pilot or remove the ignition key. At that time a hefty I-beam is handy. At the press of a button the canopy clamps down and cuts off the enemy pilot's hand.

More seriously I believe enqyoob is merely pointing out things which might make a future lighter LCA

"From Ellseeyay to Yellellseeyay"
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Check these pictures, the "I_beam" is way to the right of the pilot's head placement:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... t.jpg.html
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... s.jpg.html

In this, if the pilot were to raise his left hand it would not touch the I-beam:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... A.jpg.html

Look at the MiG-29/35, it is right above his head:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... t.jpg.html

MKI, the rear pilot is toast per the argument:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/media/Aer ... 4.JPG.html

In none of them it is an issue. The canopy should blow off first.
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

can the LCA mark 2 be designed with internal bomb bays and more stealth features similar to the silent Eagle, and a more powerful engine, which i guess is already on the way.The RCS would probably be one the lowest !
kit
BRF Oldie

Post by kit »

Craig Alpert wrote:one want's a bubble canopy, the IAF want's a better engine/avionics, and I want a modern cockpit a la 5 generation) a massive screen with IPad like Touchscreen interface, and Pixel Qi Hi-def Screen!!! Phew, it's a good think WE don't write up the ASR's or else, LCA will never reach MKII design specs!
I guess Elbit systems new display is the answer to your question ! It looks like the IPAD of cockpit displays !

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Elbit_S ... G_999.html

"Advanced data and sensor fusion, a smart electronic flight bag and a 3D vector map including embedded video and highway-in-the-sky (HITS) representation are fully integrated into the solution."

source : spacedaily.com
Kakarat
BRF Oldie

Post by Kakarat »

kit wrote:can the LCA mark 2 be designed with internal bomb bays and more stealth features similar to the silent Eagle, and a more powerful engine, which i guess is already on the way.The RCS would probably be one the lowest !
I think it can be LCA mark 3
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

vic wrote: Did you read the news about Turbomca blackmailing HAL over the cost of 'integrating' engine & gearbox for LoH. Now the engine, gearbox and Helo is supposed to be JV or indigenous or being manufactured in India itself. Inspite thereof...... The reason is that technology absorbtion is very very low. No funds at all are spent for Labs, evolutionary technolgoy or modification research at all. Now days even R&D is being outsourced to like israeli and russians using indian tax payers money

this is why I get sick whenever I hear some idiot yelling "WE ARE GETTING TOT!!!" as if its anything other screw driver technology.

All one is getting is a big bill to subsidize the R&D base of a foreign country.
Neshant
BRF Oldie

Post by Neshant »

doesn't the 2 seater LCA look so much nicer than the Eurofighter?

it looks like an F-16 crossed with a Mirage 2000.

Eurofighter : http://img7.abload.de/img/2776aw.jpg

LCA : http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/at ... 1279982742
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

enqyoob wrote:During HF-24 testing, unintended canopy separation .
More of an inadvertant canopy opening - but seperation did not follow - so the canopy was stuck at 90 degree angle in open position at a critical take off stage - creating immense drag and more importantly failing to arm the ejection seat - which would happen only if the canopy seperated.. This was the Suranjan Das Accident.
Avinandan
BRFite

Post by Avinandan »

nachiket wrote:
Avinandan wrote: Rafale Line drawing:--
That is not the Rafale. That's the Yugoslavian Novi Avion. The single engine should have alerted you methinks. :P
My bad :oops: , I never knew about the existense of this aircraft. From frontal section, you wont be able to make out whether its a Rafale or Avion. Upon reading about the history of Novi Avion, I found out that it was shelved. How come no body tried to pursue it, from the looks of it, it would have become quite a good fighter plane..

Sorry for being OT this once.
Vikram W
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vikram W »

whats a TFTA take off though ? couldnt find it on google
andy B
BRFite

Post by andy B »

Vikram W wrote:whats a TFTA take off though ? couldnt find it on google
In ze words of the Grand Puba Ul Turbiny a TFTA take off can only be performed by those jets whose creators are tall and fair...and uber special like our taller than mountain neighbours to the west...an Indian jet is inherently incapable of such a feat because its creators are SDRE small dark rice eating....thus it can only take off using the whole the runway and more.... :(( :(( :((
Anshul
BRFite

Post by Anshul »

andy B wrote:
Vikram W wrote:whats a TFTA take off though ? couldnt find it on google
In ze words of the Grand Puba Ul Turbiny a TFTA take off can only be performed by those jets whose creators are tall and fair...and uber special like our taller than mountain neighbours to the west...an Indian jet is inherently incapable of such a feat because its creators are SDRE small dark rice eating....thus it can only take off using the whole the runway and more.... :(( :(( :((
:rotfl: Al Ladeni Mazaaki...! All TFTA aslaat has a flight path which is aligned to fly westwards before vectoring towards the actual target direction.
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

Very good video. At least no nava mujahid is complaining about chappal clad SDRE HAL employees using the LCA's wing as an umbrella.

Gp. Capt. Krishna looks much younger than the other test pilots in that programme, no?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

NRao wrote:Check these pictures, the "I_beam" is way to the right of the pilot's head placement:
Just wondering if enqyoob means something different. Is it really necessary to have such a thick I- beam? If it was slimmer - just thick enough to hold the transparent canopy maybe 15-20 Kg could be shaved off the weight if you include the reduced weight of actuators to lift the canopy.
Brando
BRFite

Post by Brando »

Sorry to interject in the discussion, but that is NOT called an I-beam. Enqyood called it an I-beam because it just looks kind like an I-beam from one angle in the video. That is just the canopy frame and it is thick and sturdy because the canopy is quite thick (strength is important to withstand birdstrikes etc).

An I-beam is what they use in construction to support heavy loads due to its excellent longitudinal load bearing ability (on the flanges of I) and it is made from rolled steel-something that not many designers like to add to their airplanes due to its high specific weight compared to things like Aluminium - which is probably what the frame of the canopy is actually made of.
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Brando wrote:Sorry to interject in the discussion, but that is NOT called an I-beam. Enqyood called it an I-beam because it just looks kind like an I-beam from one angle in the video.
Well thanks for the clarification - but I was guessing what enqyoob meant and the only common factor I could find between his 3 comments was weight. I think even the fourth grader enqyoob can see that the left "I Beam (or whatever) " sits directly above the right "I beam (or whatever)" and out of way of the pilots head in the fully open position. In the half open position all bets are off.
Dileep
BRF Oldie

Post by Dileep »

Well, I shouldn't even DREAM about misunderestimating a kindergartner, especially when he was known to have scribbled flow calculations on the midwife's hand. Being said that, apart from the obvious points a) it is NOT above the head in reality and b) it gets blown away during ejection, It doesn't look too thick or heavy given the size of the canopy to my SDRE ITVty myopitic eyes.
neerajb
BRFite

Post by neerajb »

Saar log, if the canopy opens sideways, does it mean that it needs to be blown away in the same fashion during an ejection? IMVVHO, the canopy jettisions the same way i.e. front part goes up and the wind shears the rest whether the canopy opens sideways or backwards.

Cheers....
Raja Bose
BRF Oldie

Post by Raja Bose »

What is this I-Beam, hain? My SDRE vision cannot spot it :((

Is it referring to the underside of the canopy frame? I thought in case of a successful blow out during ejection, the side opening canopies get blown out up and way off to the side and rest taken care of by nature? In case of unsuccessful blow out, it will be anybody's guess depending on where the canopy is stuck.
Telang
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Telang »

Please close this I beam discusiion. We are making a mountain out of the mole hill.
Vikram W
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Vikram W »

Anshul wrote:
andy B wrote:whats a TFTA take off though ? couldnt find it on google

In ze words of the Grand Puba Ul Turbiny a TFTA take off can only be performed by those jets whose creators are tall and fair...and uber special like our taller than mountain neighbours to the west...an Indian jet is inherently incapable of such a feat because its creators are SDRE small dark rice eating....thus it can only take off using the whole the runway and more.... :(( :((
:rotfl: Al Ladeni Mazaaki...! All TFTA aslaat has a flight path which is aligned to fly westwards before vectoring towards the actual target direction.
The qoostion kinda still remains unanswered
PratikDas
BRFite

Post by PratikDas »

^^^^ http://sites.google.com/site/brfdictionary/glossary/t/tfta

A TFTA take-off would be one that has a rapid increase in the angle-of-attack, owing to the tremendous thrust-to-weight ratio than one can stereotypically expect in aircraft from uber-advanced TFTA nations.

A SDRE take-off would, stereotypically, be more gradual / graceful owing to a lower thrust-to-weight ratio, national inability to tolerate a crash, lower fuel budgets, bindaas attitude, etc. etc.

Mods please castigate if incorrect.
hnair
Forum Moderator

Post by hnair »

shiv wrote: Is it really necessary to have such a thick I- beam? If it was slimmer - just thick enough to hold the transparent canopy maybe 15-20 Kg could be shaved off the weight if you include the reduced weight of actuators to lift the canopy.
My Holy Kitab-e-Bania says "more metal, better resale" 8)
(explains those metal fasteners too)

baithavay, wont the entire canopy be blown off the hinges and the pilot majestically soars up like an MP during Sansad Zero hour?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

OT
Vikram W wrote: The qoostion kinda still remains unanswered
this is the original definition. http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... ary/t/tfta
in BRspeak the term is also used as a stand-in for a superlative e.g http://sites.google.com/site/brfdiction ... -madarassa

so, a TFTA take-off means a high performance take-off i.e one that uses a relatively small take off run.
Tanaji
BRF Oldie

Post by Tanaji »

shiv wrote:
NRao wrote:Check these pictures, the "I_beam" is way to the right of the pilot's head placement:
Just wondering if enqyoob means something different. Is it really necessary to have such a thick I- beam? If it was slimmer - just thick enough to hold the transparent canopy maybe 15-20 Kg could be shaved off the weight if you include the reduced weight of actuators to lift the canopy.
It is not a great leap of faith to assume that ADA designers are quite competent, and they are quite aware that their aircraft is overweight. As such it is reasonable to assume that they have already looked at obvious places to reduce weight and gain efficiencies. I would think that if a BRF poster can think of reducing weight by just looking at a picture, for sure the ADA designers that work with the aircraft day in and day out, and have weights of each component listed, would have thought of it as well and would have taken corrective measures already?

PS: I am aware of enqyoob and his association with Guggenheim.
Mr_Li
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Mr_Li »

Tanaji,
good choice of words. from someone else it'd be called flame-b'ting.
BTW LCA is looking better every day. A good design normally is a good looking design as well. It will surely kick butt. They should induct min 250 + another 100 naval LCA
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Gee! Thanks for all the speculation about why I asked what I asked, and the deeper magical powers and Classified Info behind the question. Actually I was asked by the PAF to post that and show how inferior the sdre ell cee yay is compared to the F17 Bandar where the pilot sits facing backwards.

Here is why I asked: Last time I forgot that I was sitting under something, and got up, I bonked my head badly. So I was wondering from looking at the video whether the thing shown above the pilot's head as he is putting on his helmet, is something attached above the seat, that will get blasted off with the canopy during an ejection sequence, or is the pilot expected to reach up, grab it and do a Tarzan swing out of the aircraft. What is that thing anyway? Is it the bottom edge of the left side of the canopy?
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

enqyoob wrote: Is it the bottom edge of the left side of the canopy?
Yes that is the I beam 8)

But now that my interest has been aroused :lol: here i a pic of an F-16 canopy. No I beam. But the transparent part is held by hajaar rivets. What gets blasted off in an ejection? The whole metal frame or something less than that?

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft ... con_17.jpg
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

^ Google chacha says the entire frame is blown off however for some reason if it fails to go off the next event in ejection sequence shatters the canopy before the seat is actually ejected.