People's Republic of China Nov 22, 2009

The Strategic Issues & International Relations Forum is a venue to discuss issues pertaining to India's security environment, her strategic outlook on global affairs and as well as the effect of international relations in the Indian Subcontinent. We request members to kindly stay within the mandate of this forum and keep their exchanges of views, on a civilised level, however vehemently any disagreement may be felt. All feedback regarding forum usage may be sent to the moderators using the Feedback Form or by clicking the Report Post Icon in any objectionable post for proper action. Please note that the views expressed by the Members and Moderators on these discussion boards are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the Bharat-Rakshak.com Website. Copyright Violation is strictly prohibited and may result in revocation of your posting rights - please read the FAQ for full details. Users must also abide by the Forum Guidelines at all times.
biswas
BRFite

Re: People's Republic of China Nov 22, 2009

Post by biswas »

^ I actually agree with the official here.
Arihant
BRFite

Post by Arihant »

putnanja wrote:India culture snub to China
New Delhi, Sept. 9: India is not in any rush to send a team to China as part of a cultural exchange programme after Beijing said delegates from the Northeast and Jammu and Kashmir should not be included, government sources revealed.

An Indian delegation of professionals from various fields was to visit China later this year as part of an annual exchange programme.

A Chinese delegation had visited India last year on New Delhi’s invitation. However, even as the dates were being finalised, the Chinese government sent an email requesting India not to include delegates from the Northeast and Jammu and Kashmir. A flurry of e-mails later, the Chinese continued to stand their ground.
What offended the Indian side most was that this time Beijing was making an issue not just of Arunachal Pradesh but the entire Northeast. “The Chinese attitude has been offending in the extreme to us,” a top government source said.

India has decided not to send the delegation till such time as China relents.
The scope of China's claims over Indian territory seems to be growing larger by the day. India's response needs to be somewhat more vigorous than threatening to withdraw Bharat-Natyam viewing rights from the Chinese populace.

Distinct from China, India should not lay claim to any territory, but should make small moves towards de-recognizing Chinese rights over specific portions of Chinese territory, such as:
  • Tibet
    Xinjiang(these 2 are obvious candidates, but also...)
    Yunnan (with a substantial population of ethnic Thai - an Indic people)
    Inner Mongolia (i.e., the Chinese province of that name)
    Heilongjiang
    Liaoning
    Jilin (all 3 of the above have a significant population that is Manchu, who, with a distinct language and cultural tradition as well racial differences from the Han, have had nationalist aspirations for a very long time - all 3 provinces constituted part of the Japanese-controlled Manchukuo in the decade leading up to WWII)
    Guizhou (traditional home of the Hmong people)
We need to start stapling visas for applicants from these regions, and also cease hosting official delegations with participants from these parts...
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Next they will claim Kerala due to cultural ties like Cheeni Chattai (aka wok) and fishing nets!
harbans
BRF Oldie

Post by harbans »

Our brainless bot liberal secularists are calling it """India's Cultural snub"" little realizing that China over small and really irrelevant cultural exchanges is continually lobbing the ball inside India's court and making India play on the defensive. When will India start openly claiming Kailash and Mansarover and reversing it's stand on Tibet. HIgh Time and we do need more startegic and better leadership than the morons that derive their strategic insights off cocktail parties.
Rupesh
BRFite

Post by Rupesh »

The chineese fishing nets in kochi gives them adequeate rights to claim SRK.. Dileep can start learning mandarin
praksam
BRFite

Post by praksam »

Looks like the chinese are in a hurry to start off a war as soon as possible. Seems like they do not want to give India enough time to prepare for the inevitable war.
Last edited by praksam on 11 Sep 2010 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
RamaT
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RamaT »

praksam wrote:Looks like the chinese are in a hurry to start off a war asap. Seems like they do not want to give India enough time to prepare for the inevitable war.
+1.

Currently the Cheeni's have the N. advantage.. our Agni program is far behind their deterrent and will take till 2015 to cover their whole territory. They are pushing due to that advantage, plus building greater nationalistic ferver internally to distract from issues, plus their strategy to keep India a medium power.. not one that can control its own sphere of influence.

The greatest problem they see with regard to India, and one that upsets them immensely is that we are generating increasingly fast economic growth similar to them.. this contradicts the 'Han/CPC exceptionalism' tendencies that their beliefs are built upon when they see a chaotic, democratic India gain steam. The CPC has 'The mandate of heaven', how dare anyone else.
Last edited by RamaT on 11 Sep 2010 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

^^^ Bah, if the chinese could, they would land some quick blows and scoot before Delhi could react.

The fact that they haven't so far, not in public anyway indicates that something about Delhi's counter-capabilities seems to be holding them back.

Anyway, the fact that they haven't so far (not since '62 anyway) doesn't mean they won't tomorrow.

In fact, it does look like they are prepping for a war in which they could land some tight punches and scoot before we hit the nook threshold. Still, I would think it easier for them to launch their N-missiles loaded with their N-warheads onto Delhi from within Pakistani (night) soil. That would solve oh-so-many issues for them in 1 go. They could always sow enough FUD and confusion after the Indo-Pak n-war breaks out to whitewash their central role in the whole drama.

OK, just a thought. IMHO, Delhi must war PRC of N-retaliation of TSP uses any nooks on us since those nukes are chinese anyway.
Last edited by Hari Seldon on 11 Sep 2010 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Any serious analysis loses its sheen if SMS-type language is used. I hope posters reserve such usage for threads meant for that purpose. Of late, I find this usage creeping in everywhere.
VinodTK
BRF Oldie

Post by VinodTK »

China demands Japan release detained boat captain
BEIJING – China's foreign minister demanded that Tokyo immediately release the captain of a Chinese fishing boat that collided with two Japanese patrol vessels near disputed islands. But a Japanese court ruled he can be held 10 more days, deepening the diplomatic spat.

Yang Jiechi made the demand Friday to Ambassador Uichrio Niwa after the Japanese envoy was summoned for the third time over the crash.

Hours after Yang's protest, a Japanese court allowed prosecutors to keep the captain in custody until Sept. 19 before deciding whether to press charges against him, Naha District Court spokesman Yasuhide Yamashiro said.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

SSridhar wrote:Any serious analysis loses its sheen if SMS-type language is used. I hope posters reserve such usage for threads meant for that purpose. Of late, I find this usage creeping in everywhere.
Cleaned up my post, if the reference was to mine.

In any case, I don't believe in taking myself too seriously (at least I try not to) as it restricts openness to new POVs. And also, sometimes, helps produce some out-of-my-box thinking re solutions and all. Sure I have my pet peeves (antipathy to UKstan and TSP for instance), not denying that.

In any case, I just realized I've gone all defensive and apologetic. Typical of a thin-skinned SDRE, I guess. Light lo. I should just continue to post my opinions in a language that best expresses their appropriate level of thought, seriousness and analysis, I guess. At least, that shall be my effort going fwd.:)

/Have a nice day and all. Jai ho.
SSridhar
Forum Moderator

Post by SSridhar »

Hari, it was certainly meant for you, but not for you alone. There are other posters too who do that and in other threads too. Such loose use of language robs the seriousness of discussion and dents the image of BR fora which has taken years to build.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the POVs expressed. These are individual opinions that are welcomed.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

(NYT)China Explores a Frontier 2 Miles Deep

China has unveiled a submersible designed to go deeper than any other in the world, giving it access to 99.8 percent of the ocean floor and its minerals.

--

I'm sure it would also be great for mapping the ocean floor to find nice nooks and crannies for their ballistic missile subs to hide and lurk.
sanjaykumar
BRF Oldie

Post by sanjaykumar »

The US/Swiss/Italian Trieste did 10 km in the Marianas Trench in 1960.

This Chinese-more like Russian-US, from the equipment, does 7 km. It goes deeper than extant submersibles but does not exceed the Trieste.
RamaT
BRFite -Trainee

Post by RamaT »

Somehow missed this the first time around.. lays out the Cheeni/Paki/SA nexus clearly for all to see. Mr. F. is read by a great deal of US influencers and has a deep reservoir of respect and goodwill to tap upon so his proclamations are taken quite seriously.

Brings a smile to my face that the BS that has been thrown about for decades is being brought into the sunshine. 8) :D :P

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/opini ... ml?_r=3&hp
China supports Pakistan, seeks out mining contracts in Afghanistan and lets America make Afghanistan safe for Chinese companies, all while smiling at the bloody nose America is getting in Kabul because anything that ties down the U.S. military makes China’s military happy. America, meanwhile, sends its soldiers to fight in Afghanistan at the same time that it rejects an energy policy that would begin to reduce our oil consumption, which indirectly helps to fund the very Taliban schools and warriors our soldiers are fighting against.

So why put up with all this duplicity? Is President Obama just foolish?

It is more complicated. This double game goes back to 9/11. That terrorist attack was basically planned, executed and funded by radical Pakistanis and Saudis. And we responded by invading Iraq and Afghanistan. Why? The short answer is because Pakistan has nukes that we fear and Saudi Arabia has oil that we crave.
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

China's 2nd lunar probe set for launch this year

China's second lunar probe, the Chang'e-2, will fly much faster than its predecessor and reach lunar orbit within a shorter period of time.

more:

http://www.space-travel.com/reports/Chi ... s_999.html
Three missions are included in this phase: Chang'e 2, Chang'e 3 and Chang'e 4. A short blurb mentions this phase including landers and rovers. The third phase, dubbed "Returning", is focused on retrieving samples, and includes the missions Chang'e 5 and Chang'e 6.

Whoa! Six missions on the manifest, when just a few years ago, we had expected only three!

Let's dissect the plans. Chang'e 2 is, strictly speaking, an orbiter, but the inclusion of a lunar impactor will certainly count as a lunar landing, albeit a hard one.

Ohh, lookie - the Chinese got jealous that India touched the Moon's surface ahead of them, so now they need to launch a whole extra mission just to get a lunar impactor on the surface ASAP. Note that this mission wasn't planned before, and has only recently been added to their mission itinerary.
abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

Celebrating Id al-Fitr Under Watchful Eyes of China

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/13/world ... shgar.html
Arihant
BRFite

Post by Arihant »

Hari Seldon wrote:^^^ Bah, if the chinese could, they would land some quick blows and scoot before Delhi could react.

The fact that they haven't so far, not in public anyway indicates that something about Delhi's counter-capabilities seems to be holding them back.

Anyway, the fact that they haven't so far (not since '62 anyway) doesn't mean they won't tomorrow.

In fact, it does look like they are prepping for a war in which they could land some tight punches and scoot before we hit the nook threshold. Still, I would think it easier for them to launch their N-missiles loaded with their N-warheads onto Delhi from within Pakistani (night) soil. That would solve oh-so-many issues for them in 1 go. They could always sow enough FUD and confusion after the Indo-Pak n-war breaks out to whitewash their central role in the whole drama.

OK, just a thought. IMHO, Delhi must war PRC of N-retaliation of TSP uses any nooks on us since those nukes are chinese anyway.
Apropos thinking on how India might respond to N-aggravation, some speculation with fictional license might be appropriate - see Hunphrey Hawkseley's "Dragon Strike", where an MMS-like nice guy Indian PM opts to not respond to N-attacks on Indian soil: http://www.humphreyhawksley.com/pages/a ... -book.aspx. I fear this is how reality might turn out....
Kanson
BRF Oldie

Post by Kanson »

In identifying MMS as nice guy we should not forget he is also a singh :)
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Arihant wrote:Apropos thinking on how India might respond to N-aggravation, some speculation with fictional license might be appropriate - see Hunphrey Hawkseley's "Dragon Strike", where an MMS-like nice guy Indian PM opts to not respond to N-attacks on Indian soil: http://www.humphreyhawksley.com/pages/a ... -book.aspx. I fear this is how reality might turn out....
Err, no. Things are not that simple when the N-threshold is crossed. Everything changes, all bets are off.

Regardless of how dovish and nice-guyish the PM may be at the time of a N-strike against India, how can the ROW guarantee the next PM will be as dovish? In fact, the chances of a new leader who will promise toughness, steel and payback are high.

In any case, recall Nietszhe's words:
Don't wound what you cannot kill.
An N-strike on India isn't the end- its just the beginning. Of a series of counter-strikes that will start - whether immediately or in a few days/months/years but rest assured it will come. And it may not be ICBMs only but can take all sortsa forms and delivery channels, who knows?

The P5 will have to gangup to not just N-strike (the 'wound' part) India but to impose full, verified and permanent CRE after that (the 'kill' part) to end the game. Fat chance of that happening, IMVVHO.

Bottomline: A N-strike on an N-capable nation isn;t credible unless the attacker is prepared to go all the way beyond wounding to finally killing the target. Which is why I am watching the Iran and NoKo cases with a lot of interest. And TSP is anyway the most tracked of countries on BRF.
TonyMontana
BRFite

Post by TonyMontana »

Hari Seldon wrote:
An N-strike on India isn't the end- its just the beginning. Of a series of counter-strikes that will start - whether immediately or in a few days/months/years but rest assured it will come. And it may not be ICBMs only but can take all sortsa forms and delivery channels, who knows?
What if it's a low yield/dirty nuke? Say it only kills in the hundreds or thousands at the max. What if immediately pakistan and china denouces it as terrorist acts and blames it on terrorists and calls for a full investigation? What if the whole world calls for calm and pleads with India to not punish innocent pakistanis for the actions of "extremeists"?

Now look at this in the context of the Mumbai attacks. What was the military response to that? A low yield nuke attack is still a terrorist attack. The same reasons preventing a military response to Mumbai are still relevent. If the attack only caused hundreds or low thousands of death, would the indian government realistically (using current behaviour as a indicator) respond with nukes?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

YES.
If the place of origin is traced then platitiudes wont be enough.
TonyMontana
BRFite

Post by TonyMontana »

Hari Seldon wrote: Bottomline: A N-strike on an N-capable nation isn;t credible unless the attacker is prepared to go all the way beyond wounding to finally killing the target.
ramana wrote:YES.
If the place of origin is traced then platitiudes wont be enough.
In that case, is India willing to go all the way for China AND pakistan over a few hundred Indian death? Now don't get me wrong. Any Indian death is tragic. But my point is, is India willing to exterminate the Chinese and the Pakistanis?
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Using nuke is huge threshold which requires a response. its not my saying but the saying the world over.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

ramana wrote:Using nuke is huge threshold which requires a response. its not my saying but the saying the world over.
Will it be hard for India to build some exclusive ,specailly trained "NSAs" with similar devices to make boom-baam in the cities of culprit countries? Poak dont lack supply of such gentle souls and neither does PRC. There are many Pushtuns, Baluchi, Sindhi, Tibbetie, Uigher Taiwanese and Falun Gongi few steps away from acquiring such devices. Do these 2 really want to go down that path and remove themselves from human race : they have to think millions of time before initiating such deadly process. They will be signing the death warrants for their own people / country simultanously. Few devices in Shenzen- Shanghai can make china withdraw from Tibet in few hours using the newly gained airlift capability.
TonyMontana
BRFite

Post by TonyMontana »

ramana wrote:Using nuke is huge threshold which requires a response. its not my saying but the saying the world over.
Which leads me to believe that PRC will not gave the go ahead for this. But what if Pakistan went ahead without PRC's approval? Or are you so sure that PRC controls every aspect of the Pakistan military including all the "black op" types.

Assume for a second that Pakistan did indeed went ahead with this low yield attack without PRC approval. Would you still exterminate the Chinese people?
krisna
BRF Oldie

Post by krisna »

Water shortages reach crisis levels in China
China can't dam or divert water quickly enough to keep up with its thirsty population, and the shortage has reached crisis levels in Beijing and other areas.
Beijing's water shortage will soon reach 200 million to 300 million cubic meters, even as the city waits for a new diversion of water from southern China, according to state-run media.
Hundreds of other Chinese cities face varying levels of water shortages and deteriorating water quality, even as industries continue to pollute water.
China's quest for water has stressed downriver countries as well. Bangladesh, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, India, Thailand and Vietnam say China's aggressive dam-building is depriving their citizens, especially subsistence farmers and other poor people, of water.
Across the country, China has spent tens of billions of dollars to dam rivers, build reservoirs and dig deeper wells. Beijing also has tapped underground water to meet its needs, with the water level in the plains falling to 11 meters to 24 meters below sea level over the past decade, according to Xinhua.
Such demand for water is unsustainable. The World Bank warns that dwindling water supplies will pit rich against poor, and rural against urban, in China. Without dramatic changes in water use, tens of millions of Chinese will turn into environmental refugees over the next decade, the World Bank says.
More than 40 percent of China's population is concentrated in its relatively dry north.
Karan Dixit
BRFite

Post by Karan Dixit »

From our point of view, Pakistani nukes are Chinese nukes. If Pakistan throws its lot, there is no way China will sit idle and not exploit the situation. Nuclear war is never bilateral. Not in a region populated by hostile countries like China and Pakistan, which have history of starting unprovoked wars.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Lifafa dude,
How about you spend a moment actually thinking things through before typing when gaily throwing words like 'exterminate' around, eh? A clear attempt to inject the discussion with loaded terms and throw it off track, IMVVHO.
Which leads me to believe that PRC will not gave the go ahead for this. But what if Pakistan went ahead without PRC's approval? Or are you so sure that PRC controls every aspect of the Pakistan military including all the "black op" types.

Assume for a second that Pakistan did indeed went ahead with this low yield attack without PRC approval. Would you still exterminate the Chinese people?
In true Zen buddhist style, let me answer the question with how better but another question.

Suppose these famed 'black-ops-rogue Paki terrorist unit attacked Xinjiang in full islamic fervor vowing to take revenge for Han injustices on Turkic muslims? They can't/won't, didya say? And how do you know that?

It is precisely for that reason that nooks aren;t gifted away just like that to certified jerks like the packees are w/0 a 400% pre-paid insurance policy in the form of a full veto and full control over critical nook components. Period.

If Beijing actually was sooo stoopid as to pass on nooks w/0 such control, then pls know that stoopidity of that order has a steep price.

But, like you said, we ought to give the Chinese more credit for rationality than that. It is a mistake to assume the enemy is stupid. We firmly believe, nay, we know that the cheenis have the packees by their balls where nooks are concerned. Any n-attack by the packees using any design, material anything at all that can be traced back to cheena with even 10% probability is == cheeni approval for the said attack and also cheeni willingness to risk the consequences thereof.

Like I said, effing think before trying to disrupt thread and idea flow. GIve is Indees some credit for basic strategic thought and rationality.

Enough said.

Jai hu, jai hu, MaoA MaoA!
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

TonyMontana wrote:
What if it's a low yield/dirty nuke?
Would you be able to provide some technical details about such a device. I believe that such a device (that causes "hundreds to thousands" of deaths as you suggest) is difficult, if not impossible to fashion.

Chances are that a radiation contamination device (dirty nuke) is likely to cause few dozen immediate deaths from the conventional explosive and more deaths over several weeks and will not be recognized as a nuclear attack right away. It will look like a conventional bomb until radiation sickness cases begin to appear after days.

A nuclear device will kill tens or hundreds of thousands. A fizzled nuclear device may kill thousands. Either way it will be a recognizably nuclear explosive event. A nuclear device is unlikely to be used by a terrorist unless supplied by a terrorist state (Pakistan) or its sponsor (China). It is likely to be a much larger device. Suitcase devices may have been developed by the FSU - but a I doubt if it is seriously feasible to build a working nuclear bomb less than 100 Kg - which would be a tad overweight for a suitcase. And sophisticated enough to pin the blame firmly on a nuclear capable state like China.
TonyMontana
BRFite

Post by TonyMontana »

Hari Seldon wrote:Lifafa dude, Jai hu, jai hu, MaoA MaoA!
Go easy on the condescension. You had some good points buried in the racism. Remember, what you say about other people says more about you, than other people.
shiv wrote: And sophisticated enough to pin the blame firmly on a nuclear capable state like China.
See. A well thought out rebuttal without all the patronizingly superior attitude. I stand corrected. But it also lead to my point. I think if China has the finger on Pakistan's nuclear buttom, then we're all pretty safe from nuclear annihilation. Saner minds and all.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Go easy on the condescension. You had some good points buried in the racism.
Yak yak, essentially. Show of indignation and ever more diversions to cover up your lack of a suitable rebuttal. After repeated thread diversion attempts, twisting other posters' words and intentions you now have to play the next arrow in your quiver - par for the course actually.

BTW, Racism, didya say? What racism? In case you didn't know, 'cheen' == china in Hindi. Nothing racist about it. Period. If you don't believe it, too bad, I guess.
Remember, what you say about other people says more about you, than other people.
I'm sorry, can't help point out "Look who's talking!". Rich coming from a cheeni gentledude, basically.

P.S.
I did attempt to engage you, and the daviDude tagteamer, with genuine civility too. Then I couldn't but notice your behavior across multiple threads and with multiple people on here. Now I know better, I guess.

/Have a nice day and all.
TonyMontana
BRFite

Post by TonyMontana »

Hari Seldon wrote: Show of indignation and ever more diversions to cover up your lack of a suitable rebuttal.
I said "I stand corrected" didn't I? What do you want from me? A written apology for asking questions?
Hari Seldon wrote: After repeated thread diversion attempts, twisting other posters' words and intentions you now have to play the next arrow in your quiver - par for the course actually.

Not every poster that comes to BRF and don't scream Jai Ho every two seconds have an alterior motive. Quite a few accusations to throw at someone who just started posting. Maybe it is you that sees snakes behind every bush.
Hari Seldon wrote: BTW, Racism, didya say? What racism? In case you didn't know, 'cheen' == china in Hindi. Nothing racist about it. Period. If you don't believe it, too bad, I guess.
Maybe you didn't mean it. Maybe I felt it. Maybe I'm wrong. Like you're wrong about my intentions.
Hari Seldon wrote: I'm sorry, can't help point out "Look who's talking!". Rich coming from a cheeni gentledude, basically.
Here's that racism I'm feeling again. What do you mean by that?
Hari Seldon wrote: P.S.
I did attempt to engage you, and the daviDude tagteamer, with genuine civility too. Then I couldn't but notice your behavior across multiple threads and with multiple people on here. Now I know better, I guess.
Here's me extending a hand of detente. Would you like to give me the benefit of the doubt and re-engage me with genuine civility?

But we digress.
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

TonyMontana wrote:

Any Pakistani nuke is a Chinese nuke. India will retaliate against both countries with nukes.

What happens then in PRC, whether the Chinese want to portray the act as 'extermination', 'Finnish Sauna' or 'barbecue party', is left to the Chinese. The affect on the Chinese people due to a nuclear strike would be would be given only that much consideration, as a similar strike was given in case of India - None!
TonyMontana
BRFite

Post by TonyMontana »

RajeshA wrote: Any Pakistani nuke is a Chinese nuke. India will retaliate against both countries with nukes.
Okay. Okay. I understand now. China gets nuked.
RajeshA wrote: What happens then in PRC, whether the Chinese want to portray the act as 'extermination', 'Finnish Sauna' or 'barbecue party', is left to the Chinese. The affect on the Chinese people due to a nuclear strike would be would be given only that much consideration, as a similar strike was given in case of India - None!
But what about Chinese nuclear retaliation? Now many Indian lives are you willing to risk for this? Is the lives of millions worth it to revenge hundreds?
RajeshA
BRF Oldie

Post by RajeshA »

TonyMontana wrote:
RajeshA wrote: Any Pakistani nuke is a Chinese nuke. India will retaliate against both countries with nukes.
Okay. Okay. I understand now. China gets nuked.
RajeshA wrote: What happens then in PRC, whether the Chinese want to portray the act as 'extermination', 'Finnish Sauna' or 'barbecue party', is left to the Chinese. The affect on the Chinese people due to a nuclear strike would be would be given only that much consideration, as a similar strike was given in case of India - None!
But what about Chinese nuclear retaliation? Now many Indian lives are you willing to risk for this? Is the lives of millions worth it to revenge hundreds?
If it goes un-retaliated, it will be used again - with the next generation of Indians. So retaliation is a MUST regardless of the consequences once the red line is crossed.

CPC and PLA should have thought about the consequences before proliferating nukes to Pakistan. If the Chinese want, there is still time - no nukes have been exchanged. Get Pakistan to verifiably de-nuke and perhaps then the Chinese people do not need to share in the sins of Pakistan. PRC has the influence in Pakistan. The ball is in your court.

It would give no Indian any pleasure in seeing any Chinese die because of our 'Duty To Retaliate'! Perhaps the Chinese people can help India in avoiding having to take recourse to that duty. It is up to you!
Dhiman
BRFite

Post by Dhiman »

TonyMontana wrote: But what about Chinese nuclear retaliation? Now many Indian lives are you willing to risk for this? Is the lives of millions worth it to revenge hundreds?
The first person who uses nukes must have thought about risking millions of lives, right? So maybe I missed something, but why would anyone throw nukes at India instead of conventional weapons if the goal is to kill less than 1000 people? Is there a particular chanakyan point to be made here in your hypothetical scenario?
Nihat
BRFite

Post by Nihat »

but by that logic , if PAF uses its F-16 to bomb india, then we should go ahead and bomb the United States.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

China's great advantage over India strategically speaking,is that its proxy Pak can go "rogue" one day with the jihadis in control and try and "nuke" India.IN fact the Chinese might actually egg Pak on to nuke India saying that they will support such an attack with their own strikes too,but may or may not do so! In such a scenario,where Pak alone attacks India with nukes what will India do? Second strikes against Pak definitely,but can we allow China to watch both India and Pak destroy each other so that they can simply stride across the Indian sub-continent into the Gulf? That is China's worst case scenario,if it cannot encircle and defeat India by other means.

The Ind.Exp. two days ago had this excellent article as to how China was enncirclign India using the strategy and tactics of an anceint Chinese game called "Wei Chi".Chairman Mao made it compulsory learning for his top military commanders.The game's objective is to prevent one's opponent from carrying out his plans by stymying him through encirclement and then moving towards the centre after he has bene encircled.In fact,if one studies the Bangladesh campaign,one can see an almost similar strategy used by India in the '71 War.We first encircled E.Pak by land sea and air and then several thrusts were made towards Dacca,by-passing the heavily defended Paki strong points ,used paradrops to cross large rivers until one column entered Dacca and E.Pak fell.

First the warning to the Chinese should be that any strike from Pak would invite an automatic Indian response against China,since Pak's N-deterrent has been provided to it by China,that they are "military allies",in much the same way as NATO nations are,where any attack against one NATO nation would invite attacks against the agressor from the other members.Secondly,we should employ the Chinese strategy ourselves.We cannot remain immobile and motionless in our defence too.The more China tris to encircle us,the more India should engage with China's enemies,establish military bases/agreements in those countries just as Pak has gifted Gwadar to China.The Far Eastern and ASEAN nations should be even more engaged militarily,with a huge increase in the naval budget which is absolutely essential if we are to stop China.Without the increased naval power both in capability and numbers,China's overwhelming numerical superiority will negate India's better qualitative capability,especially if Pak joins the fray.Imagining a future Indo-Pak conflict to be limited between the two traditional enemies without any action from China would be an exercise in self-deception.

The Week has this excellent cover feature on the Indian response to the Chinese threat in the Himalayas and Tawang in particular.

http://week.manoramaonline.com/cgibin/M ... o?tabId=13

Dragon's Teeth
China sees red over India securing Tawang, looks to attack where it hurts the most—Kashmir

By R. Prasannan

It is back to eyeball-to-eyeball, barrel-to-barrel and bayonet-to-bayonet on the India-China border. Narasimha Rao’s 1993 agreement on border peace and tranquillity is dead. So is the 1995 agreement to pull back from Sumdorong Chu, as well as the 1996 agreement on military confidence-building. more
Vril
BRFite

Post by Vril »

why do we not raise issue of Tibet, Taiwan , Uighur etc on world forums to hit China and let them know we mean business. we can not allow Chinese to keep on harassing us on Kashmir, taking pot shots like India occupied Kashmir and we meekly keep quite. If China wants shyte, lets give them buckets full. If we fear conventional/nuclear threat, let us make it very clear they too would feel the sting deep in their spine.