Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
RamaY
BRF Oldie

Re: Issues faced by Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

Post by RamaY »

SwamyG wrote:RamaY: Did I say that or even imply that anywhere? {and I am waiting for your reply in the 'other' thread}
Probably not SwamyG garu. I was just clarifying that even then, it cannot justify current fiasco.

I haven't forgot the item in USA thread SwamyG garu. Will answer your post with relevant details.
Tamang
BRFite

Post by Tamang »

'Trespasser' brings down false ceiling at Nehru Stadium

:roll:
Wednesday's minor disaster, however, wasn't the result of a design or construction flaw but caused by a person stepping on to a no-go zone and on the soft tiles that aren't built to take weight, officials said.

But it embarrassed the organizers further as it became apparent that the culprit was likely a trespasser who may have breached the tight security each venue boasts of.

"A man was walking along the roof and not the catwalk, which is the way to get to the roof. When he fell, he must have grabbed on to the false ceiling, a portion of which came down along with him,'' said BK Chugh, director-general (works) of CPWD.

"It is an accident which should not have happened. We are taking steps to refit these tiles by tonight," said Rajendra Kala, an engineer in Chugh's department.

However, neither CPWD nor Delhi Police are owning up to the trespasser getting to the roof in the first place. Asked how an unknown person could walk in and enter the roof in the face of tight security, Chugh said the matter had been referred to the cops and no one from the CPWD was involved in the incident.

Delhi police said that they hadn't come across any trespasser and were checking on workers in the vicinity. "We will see images from CCTVs installed inside the hall to ascertain the identity of the trespasser. No one was injured in the mishap and no case is registered," said a senior police officer.
Time to send Mr. Chugh to Agra pagalkhana! First Bhanot and then this joker.
SureshP
BRFite

Post by SureshP »

In the UK the stories on TV are beginning to moderate. There are the first inklings that things may not be too bad, as efforts are being made to rectify some of the most glaring shortcomings.

PR by India has been awful and should be much better handled. Which moron took them into blocks which hadn't been cleaned with shit everywhere. What did they expect would happen when they did that. Which moron failed to explain why the footbridge collapsed with at least a modicum of technical information. They were all hiding with a storm crackling around the world media.

Photographs were not taken by the BBC, they were "obtained" "given" to the BBC.

The Commonwealth and in my case the British Council paid for my education at UK's best Engineering University and all my living expenses for 4 years without once asking anything from me.
gogna
BRFite

Post by gogna »

James B wrote:The athlete village condition. For Shri Bhanot it is up to his standards. :rotfl:

From al beeb - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/commonw ... 025666.stm

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Incredible Indians indeed!!!!!!
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

cut the boys some slack will ya...its not much different from a free to use public toilet anywhere in india...atleast 10 people hadnt sh** randomly on the floor for the british delegates to slip and fall down :rotfl:

my wife has a strict policy of only letting me stop at CCday outlets outside the city - they are consistently clean and dry. the way to a woman's heart is arranging
for a clean loo on demand :lol: L&M fundae
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

the filth photos being shown were taken during the official walkaround BEFORE the lockdown began. one of the officials gave it to the media. right now NO-ONE is going in to the village since the security folks are sanitising it whilst sheila-ji is also sanitising it! about the worst thing the organisers have done is to let journalists and visitors run around without planning and guiding, and letting the media grab hold of a juicy story

the LOCK-DOWN is normal at such events and is going smoothly

the 'trespasser' was probably a worker sent up to fix something without any sort of safety lecture and he did what comes naturally

although more athletes are pulling out, most are doing so because they have world championships, etc. coming up soon and don't want to take the chance (particularly cycling, which is a pity since the velodrome is said to be awesome), right now, all UK teams have confirmed they are coming, i expect Aus and NZ to confirm by the morning and Canada shortly after. SA are already on their way
Gus
BRF Oldie

Post by Gus »

^ +10 (at GD's post). The wife dreads the day we r2i.
Chinmayanand
BRF Oldie

Post by Chinmayanand »

Was it a bollywood script ? :eek: In the end "Mauja hi Mauja" ... :lol:
Sudip
BRFite

Post by Sudip »

A captain from kochi raised a very valid question in a CNN IBN discussion:- A R Rahman was paid 5 CRORES for that song and the foot overbridge that collapsed cost 10 CRORES. The money accountability has gone off the roof and is sitting in mars at the moment.
Rony
BRF Oldie

Post by Rony »

Lets hope the games are a success.As i said before any hint of failure will have rippling effects in other areas especially on investor sentiments.

The India phobics in the west are already in full force with the usual India-China comparisions and giving free advices why it is better to invest in china and not in India.

http://www.investingdaily.com/id/17795/ ... india.html

Commonwealth Games vs. Asian Games: China Beats India

India has been one of the most exciting stories among emerging markets in general and Asia in particular. Much of the country's growth stems from burgeoning domestic demand, which represents about 55 percent of its economy.

But because India accounts for just 2 percent of global GDP and just 1 percent of world trade, its equities don't appear on most investors' maps; even though interest in the nation's growth story has picked up since 2004, many will miss out on these compelling opportunities.

Yiannis Mostrous – Silk Road Investor

In June 2009, Yiannis Mostrous, editor of the Silk Road Investor emerging markets investment service, wrote the analysis quoted above about India. This is nothing new; Yiannis has been bullish on India for a long time. In fact, back in the fall of 2007 when most analysts were making goo-goo eyes only at China in anticipation of the Beijing Olympics the following year, Yiannis took a contrarian stance and ranked India above China in terms of where subscribers should invest new money. He was concerned that China was overheating and could be ready for a cyclical downturn whereas India promised steadier growth
And Charlie Munger, Warren Buffett’s 86-year-old Vice Chairman at Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-A) (NYSE: BRK-B), stated at Berkshire’s annual meeting in May that he liked China more than India right now:

China will grow faster because the Chinese government can get more done, while in India the government has created “paralysis.”

Warren Buffett chimed in, however, that “we kind of admire the democracy that causes the paralysis.”

The Buffett-Munger repartee pretty much sums up my feelings about India. Long term, India’s democracy will create open markets and encourage innovation that will produce the strongest economic growth in Asia. But in the short term, the authoritarianism and singular focus of China’s Communist Party will get more done than India’s corrupt democracy and will propel China into the economic lead.

Nowhere is the difference in Chinese and Indian business practices more evident than in the way the two countries are currently preparing to host athletic events.

A Chinese Paradise

First up is China’s management of the 16th Asian Games, scheduled to take place in Guangzhou, China from November 12th to the 27th. Forty-five Asian countries participate in the Games every four years, which have been around since 1951. China completed its work ahead of schedule and has turned over the facilities to the local organizing committee. Reviews of the facilities have been uniformly positive, with some saying that the athletic village is even of higher quality than was available during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The village is 63% covered in greenery including tropical trees and fruit plants.

A Nightmare in New Delhi

Compare this Chinese utopia with this Indian nightmare. India is hosting the 19th Commonwealth Games in the capital city of New Delhi from October 3rd through the 14th. The 53 countries comprising the former British Empire have gotten together every four years since 1930. Seventy-one teams compete, which might seem strange given that there are only 53 countries, but some commonwealth countries (United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand) send more than one team. Anyway, the athletic village is a disaster. The Scottish team has publicly called it “unsafe and unfit for human habitation.” Other country teams have used general adjectives like “filthy” and “disgusting” and England’s team said there was “unsafe electrical equipment, plumbing issues, doors not fitting properly and mud everywhere.” Puddles of muddy water contain mosquitoes that have already spread dengue fever throughout New Delhi and two Taiwanese tourists were shot by militant Muslims on motorcycles opposed to the Games. All this with athletes scheduled to start arriving in the village in less than two days!
China is the Better Investment Right Now

Bottom line, India's infrastructure is not ready for prime time whereas China's most definitely is
Rishirishi
BRFite

Post by Rishirishi »

Incredable India. How is it even possible.

seems that the material used is of good quality, but a very very poor construction job.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Rony.
Good post, thanks.
Unfortunately people with agendas fail to understand some very basic stuff. The idea is, it's ok to cut my nose as long as I can spite my face! :-)
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Rishirishi wrote:Incredable India. How is it even possible.

seems that the material used is of good quality, but a very very poor construction job.
Boss,
Looked more a case of unfinished construction rather than poor construction. As someone said a PR disaster how the hell did those pics get out?
Sanjay M
BRF Oldie

Post by Sanjay M »

Best title yet:

The SlumDog Games

Jai Ho! :P
Gaurav_S
BRFite

Post by Gaurav_S »

Not sure if someone noticed but one of the photos in slideshow says the photos were taken this week. Also, did someone notice security tape at the crime scene is of Delhi Police.

Sadly, toilets in Indian Railways are no different then in those photos. Less educated don't have any civic sense while educated thinks its already filthy and won't make much difference if myself adds to it. This is the attitude in India IMO.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Indian Railway toilets are nowhere near as bad as what was in that picture. Don't worry about investments. India will/is a great place to invest if you can make money out your investment. Sentiments and feelings have some effect, but profit has the much more significant effect.

Let the games be postponed to November after the monsoons and Diwali.
Hari Seldon
BRF Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon »

Joke doing the rounds...
Prince Charles is going all out to convince his mom to attend the games in Dilli. Apparently he calculates that it may be his only chance of becoming king.

Jokes apart and regardless of how the games go, I for one shall keep keen watch on a post games reckoning of mistakes made and heads rolled. I'm betting 2 rupees that will happen to the perps who caused this disgrace. About all those loud exhortations on here on how the proper time to do an inquest is after the games are over, time will tell I guess, whether we wanna listen or not.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Mort Walker wrote:Indian Railway toilets are nowhere near as bad as what was in that picture. Don't worry about investments. India will/is a great place to invest if you can make money out your investment. Sentiments and feelings have some effect, but profit has the much more significant effect.

Let the games be postponed to November after the monsoons and Diwali.
Mort,

Alas, if things were so simple.

A lot of investment decisions are made due to perception. Ask any multinational how much money they made in China in the initial years. Heck even ask them now. Ask Google for example!

Yet can one CEO say that he doesn't need to/want to be in China?

But I hope that the idiots who are responsible for this mess are whipped and publicly shamed. And I hope our good PM knows/understands that the buck stops on his desk.

He should have asked the Cabinet Secretary to take charge a long time ago.

And yes somebody should put a gag order on these idiots, what the fuk does it mean that Indian hygiene habits are different from Westerners. Does that mean we like to crap in the filth shown in the pictures?

India as always is a PR disaster. I think that stems from Oh we know everything attitude that is common in the high circles of Delhi.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Hari Seldon wrote: Jokes apart and regardless of how the games go, I for one shall keep keen watch on a post games reckoning of mistakes made and heads rolled. I'm betting 2 rupees that will happen to the perps who caused this disgrace. About all those loud exhortations on here on how the proper time to do an inquest is after the games are over, time will tell I guess, whether we wanna listen or not.
The point is not about when and if an inquest will be held and heads will roll. The point is and was (at least for me) the obvious glee with which some folks were predicting and hoping that the CWG will be a disaster.

Suddenly untouchable media like Beeb, Guardian, Economist etc who have been put over coals before for being anti-Indian were being quoted and used as debate points to show

CWG failure=UPA=sucks who's mirror image is NDA=rocks.

The point at least I'm trying to highlight is that Goras will/are looking at it as:

CWG failure=India=sucks.

Now that one's mirror image is NOT NDA=rocks.

It is China=rocks.

If folks here like that, then perhaps I should really keep my mouth shut.

JMT
Last edited by amit on 24 Sep 2010 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
A_Gupta
BRF Oldie

Post by A_Gupta »

India needs a 21st century government, not a 19th century one, to fulfill its potential. Indians should demand no less. If a internationally highly visible project in the capital city was so badly muffed then imagine what happens with development money in Jharkhand or elsewhere. (Actually, I don't have to imagine it, I have heard from retired officials.) Indians' patience with the bumbling and corrupt political system is too much.

The CWG and intl. prestige are a small thing really. The fate of the hundred to thousand times the CWG expenditure that the GOI does for development affects every Indian - but who is watching that?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the people who come to invest or form business deals in india live in a range of places from 5* oberoi types (20,000 / night onree) down to smaller serviced apt types (3500/night). all of these have pretty adequate levels of food, security, comfort, service etc. I was seeing a friend at the Oberoi in blr mg road last week...the place is unbelieveable behind the bland facade...a rich tropical garden with 100s of plants and ornamental fishes with three top notch restaurants on
periphery. I dare say the good indian hotels that western business travellers can afford on dollah are a lot better than the mid priced business hotels that are
attached to tech parks in the western countries. people who come on work for cos like google get to stay in the oberoi....what would $200 get you in NYC or
london...a telephone booth with a folding bed?

the state of a govt built and maintained (so far) CWG village is not a reflection on what any visitor can pay and obtain in Delhi.

so lets quit the self-whipping on the account of "BBC pix will drive away investors". investors will hack their way with machetes into deepest
congo if they see a market and growth the size of india.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Singha wrote:the people who come to invest or form business deals in india live in a range of places from 5* oberoi types (20,000 / night onree) down to smaller serviced apt types (3500/night). all of these have pretty adequate levels of food, security, comfort, service etc. I was seeing a friend at the Oberoi in blr mg road last week...the place is unbelieveable behind the bland facade...a rich tropical garden with 100s of plants and ornamental fishes with three top notch restaurants on
periphery. I dare say the good indian hotels that western business travellers can afford on dollah are a lot better than the mid priced business hotels that are
attached to tech parks in the western countries. people who come on work for cos like google get to stay in the oberoi....what would $200 get you in NYC or
london...a telephone booth with a folding bed?

the state of a govt built and maintained (so far) CWG village is not a reflection on what any visitor can pay and obtain in Delhi.
Boss,

The point being made in all the press reports which are connecting this disaster with the economy is not what accommodation is available in India (some years ago I was in Bangalore with a much travelled Gora and staying at the Leela Kempski, and he told me he's not stayed in a better hotel).

The point being made (and frankly in my professional opinion it's valid point) is India's capacity to execute large projects, especially infra. If they can't get this relatively small project like the CWG games village up and running how the hell are they going to well execute the ongoing (planned) $500 billion infra projects and the next $1 trillion projects. For the $1.5t infra plan to succeed a lot of the money will have to come from abroad. If the confidence goes the money is not going to come. And if the infra is not built we can say goodbye to double digit growth this decade.

The sad part of it is that this games village fiasco has overshadowed some really good projects, like the new airport terminal and the metro extension which were done within time and are, from all accounts, world class.

Typical of India, to execute the really difficult ones and then stumble on something as simple as building a condominum project for the athletes. :x
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

A_Gupta wrote:The CWG and intl. prestige are a small thing really. The fate of the hundred to thousand times the CWG expenditure that the GOI does for development affects every Indian - but who is watching that?
Gupta ji,

Couldn't agree with more on this point.

However, a discussion on that would be OT. But we can discuss this in the relevant threads.

One point though: It's useful to remember that this is a malaise that affects our entire socio-political system and is not confined to one political grouping/party. I suspect if that had been the case then the people would have kicked them out a long time ago.

Let's not underestimate the mango Indian.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

geeth wrote:That includes you..I don't know your involvement in politics, but to me it appears that you behave like a politician and your crocodile tears for Modi is not convincing to me. Pls do not respond to my post - I am not interested in replying to you.
Geeth,

I don't enjoy the spectacle of watching people getting their langotis in a twist, so don't worry I won't respond to your ridiculous post.

BTW didn't you know, I'm a Congress Working Committee member and Yuvraj's right hand man, gosh man where have you been?

PS: These days of Web 2.0 and Internet are amazing, you can do everything remotely, even politics, sitting far away.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

At India’s Commonwealth Games, shame might be a blessing

Common Waste Shames in jeopardy as participating nations unhappy with slumdog athletes villages

As long as the government stays out of infrastructure, then it will be built properly. Private projects have done well, or at least give the appearance of being done well.
Sriman
BRFite
Location: Committee for the Promotion of Vice and the Prevention of Virtue

Post by Sriman »

amit wrote: The point being made (and frankly in my professional opinion it's valid point) is India's capacity to execute large projects, especially infra. If they can't get this relatively small project like the CWG games village up and running how the hell are they going to well execute the ongoing (planned) $500 billion infra projects and the next $1 trillion projects. For the $1.5t infra plan to succeed a lot of the money will have to come from abroad. If the confidence goes the money is not going to come. And if the infra is not built we can say goodbye to double digit growth this decade.

The sad part of it is that this games village fiasco has overshadowed some really good projects, like the new airport terminal and the metro extension which were done within time and are, from all accounts, world class.

Typical of India, to execute the really difficult ones and then stumble on something as simple as building a condominum project for the athletes. :x
Most of the planned $500 billion infra projects will be executed by private players with decent (in some cases very good) track records and not bumbling GOI agencies like DDA. But yes, i think it'll have some impact on getting projects handled by certain GOI agencies financed.
Last edited by Sriman on 24 Sep 2010 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
vera_k
BRF Oldie

Post by vera_k »

Any fears that the CWG press will affect investment across the board are over the top. The people who invest money are smart cookies and are able to pick and choose which Indian governments and projects they want to invest with. Well before the CWG, the business press has been lavishing praise on the better run states and panning the basket cases. Did anyone expect that a West Bengal that turned away the Tatas will be able to get more investment because the CWG were a success or because Delhi built a metro?

More likely, we are going to see widening disparities in economic performance between the states as a result of such choices made by investors.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Mort Walker wrote:As long as the government stays out of infrastructure, then it will be built properly. Private projects have done well, or at least give the appearance of being done well.

Mort,

Try convincing Beeb, Economist, Guardian and other outlets which shape Western perception and outlook.

But wait we're in danger of going OT here.

Let's just hope everything works OK from now and the most important thing, IMO, is I hope that with all the highlight on dirty toilets etc, the folks in charge don't take their eyes off the elephant in the room and that is security.

I'm really worried that Paki terrorists might take opportunity of this confusion and crisis. Note nobody seems to have any clue who's "trespasser" who walked on the tile sat the wrestling stadium roof and caused it to break.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

But yes, i think it'll have some impact on getting projects handled by certain GOI agencies financed
If national embarrassment and shame come out of this mess, then perhaps GoI should not be handling large infrastructure projects.
Mort Walker
BRF Oldie

Post by Mort Walker »

Amit,

This isn't about Englandistan and the Beeb, but about the fact that Delhi had at least 7 years to prepare and failed. Was it due to a lack of funds? No. Failure to plan is a plan to fail. Cancel the games and use the money for water treatment facilities in the NCR or clean up the sewage canal known as the Yamuna River. I was driving from Haryana to Delhi and the Yamuna was nothing more than an open sewage canal. Absolutely shameful and even more shameful is good money is being spent on the stupid CWG.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

who was executing the CWG village upkeep is the question.

the materials used looked quite good to me. better than many high end pvt apartments.

I dont think one can draw generaic conclusions about "india's ability to execute large projects" when the new T3 and delhi metro is staring everyone
in the face in delhi itself. far bigger than a piddly CWG village.

after the drain inspectors reports are duly filed by bbc/cnn/economist , things will get back to normal in a few weeks.
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

I am appalled that ND sucked in like what close to 50-70K crores and not much to show for it, other than the usual of dilli leeching off the nation's money.

OK...so the theme is that critique of the games is in bad taste. So shoot me...I want to the CWG to fail. Dilli should not be allowed to host anything..not for the next 20 years. There are other places and things that demand more attention in my op. Investors will come...there are other more productive places in India.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

CWG was a dono haath me laddo for the organizers who thought Commonwealth was common wealth and helped themselves.
CWG has nothing to do with ability to execute large infra structure projects if you get the govt out of it.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Singha wrote:who was executing the CWG village upkeep is the question.

the materials used looked quite good to me. better than many high end pvt apartments.

I dont think one can draw generaic conclusions about "india's ability to execute large projects" when the new T3 and delhi metro is staring everyone
in the face in delhi itself. far bigger than a piddly CWG village.

after the drain inspectors reports are duly filed by bbc/cnn/economist , things will get back to normal in a few weeks.
Delhi metro is one of the most innovative and one of the biggest metros. When all the phases will be complete it will be a 413 Km networkd. During the constructions many accidents occured including collapse of part of a bridge but it has been succeeding in execution.

DDM, Beeb or whatever self hating indian media never highlight this about Delhi or Delhi Metro:

The Delhi Metro has won awards for environmentally friendly practices from organisations including the United Nations, RINA, and the International Organization for Standardization, becoming the first metro in the world to be ISO 14001 certified for environmentally friendly construction.

Most of the Metro stations on the Blue Line conduct rainwater harvesting as an environmental protection measure.

It is also the first railway project in the world to earn carbon credits after being registered with the United Nations under the Clean Development Mechanism, and has so far earned 400,000 carbon credits by saving energy through the use of regenerative braking systems on its trains.

The Metro has been promoted as an integral part of community infrastructure, and community artwork depicting the local way of life has been put on display at stations.

Students of local art colleges have also designed decorative murals at Metro stations, while pillars of the viaduct on some elevated sections have been decorated with mosaic murals created by local schoolchildren.

The Metro station at INA Colony has a gallery showcasing artwork and handicrafts from across India

etc
Jarita
BRF Oldie

Post by Jarita »

It's not about Indias abilities. And we have to move beyond ijjat and need to prove something to the world.
What matters is whether we can provide our population with guns and butter (yes both and Chandrayan is in the guns category). When we have accomplished a reasonable level in both we can attempt other expenses.
What enrages me is that they stole 70,000 crores from our ailing, hungry masses. And this theft was so open as if the looteras believe that they are invincible.
Had these games cost originall 1300 crores, it is still manageable. But 70,000 crores and such a shoddy job. That 70,000 crores would have been better spent in space and advanced education if we really wanted to prove a point
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

the price tag of the games in media I think includes T3, improvement of domestic terminal, metro lines, road work too. these any large indian city needed anyway...CWG or no CWG.

every metro city in india is in process of building metros, large air terminals, ring roads etc.

the immediate cost of CWG is the cost of new stadia/refurbishing old ones and the CWG village ...and the supply and service contracts handed out
to friends and associates. probably around $1-2b? this could have been saved by not hosting the CWG.

so the "loss" to nation is not that much either way...1-2b is like chai paani for the wheeler dealers and big ticket dealmakers and brokers in the woodwork there.

pls correct me if the cost of stadia and CWG village is itself 70,000cr

korruption and under invoicing is not a dilli billi exclusive...last week I purchased three granite bathroom slabs for my flat for rs 7500.
the dealer gave me two receipts - one the real one, the second one is what he will show - around rs 1000 onree for tax purposes.
Suraj
Forum Moderator

Post by Suraj »

There's no way the stadia and CWG village cost ~$16 billion (Rs.70k crore). They're adding the cost of DEL T3, Delhi Metro and assorted civic works projects, as if they were made for CWG.
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

typical gora/indian media clowns. where would dilli be today without a good airport and metro - much farther back among the list of global biz hubs.
Philip
BRF Oldie

Post by Philip »

As Ramanna said,the Games has been seen as a massive opportunity for looting on an "imperial scale".I was told that the key gent involved,allegdly making a "killing" in the CWG,did so to the tune of 5cr. by simply adding this figure allegedly to a tender for an item in a previous tamasha.FInally our PM, Dr."Mis-sing" has woken up and has sent in a team of undertakers to salvage the corpse of the CWG by "embalming" it! For the CWG for all purposes is dead.The visuals of the games village toliets,etc., have done in an instant what a dozen books on the subject could not achieve.India's reputation as a rising superpower has been destroyed for now and comparisons are being made right now,notwithstanding our economic growth,between India-failure and China-success. It has set the reputation of India back by "20 years" according to eminent international scribes.

"The show must go on",the tamasha must take place,teams will arrive though some top stars have withdrawn.A commission will be set upo to look into the fiasco later,and like all Indian inquiry commissions,it will be a whitewash.Kalmadi is too important to the party in power to be totally ditched.With his budget of billions and unaccountability,there will be many in his party who will look for lesser scapegoats.One only hopes that when the Games do take place,we do not experience any further disasters,for that would be fatal to any nation's reputation,especially India which is vulnerable on many fronts.

On a lighter note,here is some entertaining new events/sports that are being suggested for the CWG!
I have some too,Kalmadi,Bhanot,Gill and co. all doing the "sprints" in Tihar jail from the hungry pack of prisoners!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... dging.html
Commonwealth Games 2010: Delhi can strike gold with sychronised masonry dodging

With stadia incomplete, structures collapsing and the athletes’ village so filthy it resembles the before pictures in a Cillit Bang commercial, the Commonwealth Games appear to be in terminal trouble.

By Jim White
23 Sep 2010

Work in progress: the athletes' village in New Delhi leaves much to be desired But all is not lost. Instead of attempting to win a losing battle with their contractors over the next nine days, the hapless New Delhi organisers could still rescue the event by putting an imaginative spin on the competition programme. All they need do to make the Games memorable is introduce a few disciplines that take advantage of local conditions.

At the unfilled rowing lake, replace the coxless fours with the waterless fours. In the aquatics centre try some synchronised masonry dodging.

Delhi admits 'collective failure'

Due to a shortage of sand available for the landing area, the triple jump could be fore-shortened to the hop and skip. Or maybe, the way it’s going, just the hop.

In the velodrome, the rules of the keirin could be altered. Rather than riders following a man on a moped for the first few laps, they might instead be pursued by a man in a rickshaw with Dengue Fever. Record times could be anticipated.

The 4 x 100 metre dash for the one functioning toilet. And the heptathlon replaced by the hepatitis, with competitors split into two groups: A and B.