Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
uddu
BRF Oldie

Re: Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

Post by uddu »

SaiK wrote:I wished dozen color lit Su30 MKIs flew roaring just 100 ft over the JN stadium would have further added the punch.
I think Surya Kiran's were supposed to fly. Don't know what happened.

Sorry. It was meant for some youth festival. Must have been good if Surya Kirans do perform during the closing ceremony, if the closing ceremony is held during day time.
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

When the Pakis walked in, their athletes were so eager to catch up with the PYT leading the contingent that they collided with the Flag bearer! :rotfl:

meanwhile all is not well in the PAki team:
Members of the Pakistan weightlifting team have threatened to pull out of the Commonwealth Games after a verbal clash with the leader of the contingent over the issue of carrying the national flag
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Bhartiya Sanskriti Everywhere

The program was started with Blowing of Shankh (Conch shell)
Swagatam song by Hariharan - classic
Tabla played by 7 year old boy Keshav

Group drumming by drummers from all part of India including Nagara, Dhol, Mridang, Tabla whatever type of charmavadya

Yogasan by 300 odd performers from Patanjali. Appearance of a meditating person from central of the stage, explanation of 6 plexus and displaying them within the meditating person.
Vedic chantings

Guru Shishya parampara message

Mohiniattam, kathak, kathakali, bharat natyam, kuch pudi, mani puri, odissi on one stage.

Journey of India thru Indian Railway

Impressive Game Flag Hoisting by Thal Sena soldiers

Theme song india bula liya was not that impressive but Jay Ho made a perefect 10.
Murugan
BRF Oldie

Post by Murugan »

Jeers and cheers were not orchastrated. Suresh Kalmadi mentioned the name of Atal Bihari Vajpeyee peope cheered aloud. Equally when Australia, South Africa and Srilankan teams were on stadium delhi-ites cheered them too.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Re: Issues faced by Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

Post by Dilbu »

AdityaM wrote:But the Paki thugs did get loud applause :(( :roll:
Lets not forget our traditions. They are our guests now. Let the world know we are not like Pakis. Good PR value.
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Did I see some lungi and chappal clad SDRE types on that train? Brilliant. I am happy there was no suit-boot to maalish the gora H&D. And Indian women are gorgeous in sari. I am impressed. Very impressed.
Last edited by Dilbu on 04 Oct 2010 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
rahuls
BRFite -Trainee

Post by rahuls »

One think I liked very much is that they showed truly "Indic" culture. The only islamic thing I found was call to prayer in the Indian Rail theme. Wonder what the p-seculars and JNU jhollawalls would say. Thank God, they excluded the much cliched Taj Mahal and Bollywood (except Chaiyya).

Immediately after the countdown, the Been sound starts along with drumming -- this was THE moment for me, truly goosebumps. I have question, was the audio feed directly from what they were playing or was it prerecorded ?
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

I was stuck on the road yesterday and was not able watch the opening. Just reading the world's reaction on twitter filled my eyes and gave me goosebumps. Oh how much I love India.
Prem
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem »

Dilbu wrote:I was stuck on the road yesterday and was not able watch the opening. Just reading the world's reaction on twitter filled my eyes and gave me goosebumps. Oh how much I love India.
:D
We have waited long time but new India is rising . The reappearance of the real Aryan, both ancient and young Indic. Aaj Dushmano ki tabiat nassaj hui hogee.
Sumeet
BRFite

Post by Sumeet »

Psecs must be fuming ....

The only liberation for them is that if they can come to understanding that philosophy, religion, culture, custom, tradition and ritual are all interwoven together into one fiber out of which then the fabric constituting our society & nation is woven.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

Prem wrote: :D
We have waited long time but new India is rising . The reappearance of the real Aryan, both ancient and young Indic. Aaj Dushmano ki tabiat nassaj hui hogee.
if I might object, the term is arya, aryan is a ba$tardized hijacked nazi concept with mammoth negative connotations.

james sahab, thanks a ton !
naren
BRFite

Post by naren »

Just watched the first two clips. The drums are simply awesome - how many different styles so elegantly fused ! Represents the real spirit of India !!!
chaanakya
BRF Oldie

Post by chaanakya »

rahuls wrote:One think I liked very much is that they showed truly "Indic" culture. The only islamic thing I found was call to prayer in the Indian Rail theme. Wonder what the p-seculars and JNU jhollawalls would say. Thank God, they excluded the much cliched Taj Mahal and Bollywood (except Chaiyya).

Immediately after the countdown, the Been sound starts along with drumming -- this was THE moment for me, truly goosebumps. I have question, was the audio feed directly from what they were playing or was it prerecorded ?
I was wondering as well. . Thank god for small mercies.

Yoga and Bodhi tree were really excellent.

What I liked most was that there was no robotic performance or perfection. It was all truly human excellence at display achieved through more than 5000 yrs of history.
disha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by disha »

Rahul M wrote:james sahab, thanks a ton !
+1. Made my day. And if you can, I am looking forward to the second half (after the athletes march in) part of the videos.

Also, I think it *was* an attempt by TOIlet and UnDyTV (with some help from HT) to create news (they had the most articles linked from Google news) so that they can make more money. Here are some points to think about:

1. Games Village. Emmar/MGF should be faulted here first. It was taken over by Government and that yielded results. Emmar/MGF should be black listed., followed by heads rolling in DDA since they should have called out the issue first. All the filth was highlighted and from all photos and videos, it is actually world class. I travel a lot and have stayed at all sorts of places, I would love to stay at the Games village!

2. False Cieling Tiles falling in the Weightlifting stadium. The news headline screamed "Cieling collapses" leading all sorts of conclusions. Remember the headline sticks first.

3. "Security Lapse". Of course the racist ozie still has to get his comeuppance on this false story.

TOIlet/HT and NDTV are talking endlessly about metro being delayed etc. Here are some facts on metro:

1. The current phase of Metro was actually advanced to meet the CWG. It was earlier planned to be completed in 2011. Now that is earlier delivery.

2. Delhi Metro is going in for public/private partnership. The phase where Reliance has setup the tracks and signals has yet to get certification. The underlying infrastructure (tunnels/bridges/land acquisition) was completed by DMRC long back. It is Reliance which is "behind schedule"!

Regarding opening ceremony:

The article complaining about "issues" during opening ceremony is pure non-sense. Accomodating 60k people along with high profile event in a high threat will brown the pants off yamreki event managers. The security people did an amazing show. Hats off to them!

The real issues that should not be glossed over:

1. The bridge collapse., the builder should be fined and the price of rebuilding should be recouped from them. That was a disaster.

2. Delhi Municipal. They clearly need to get their act on general sanity (mosquitoes), cleaning up Yamuna. And of course general maintenance of the infrastructure!
Dilbu
BRF Oldie

Post by Dilbu »

Vernacular media (I checked only Malayalam) have reported that President Patil opened the ceremony. Al Beeb will have a khujli over this 'opening issue' for a long time to come. :D
Pulikeshi
BRFite

Post by Pulikeshi »

Thanks to all who post(ed) pictures and videos... it was a awesome ceremony!
The drums were the best was very well done.
Jai Ho onlee! 8) :mrgreen:
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

http://sify.com/news/flag-row-pakistani ... hiajd.html
Pakistan's weightlifting team has threatened to pull out of the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games after a verbal spat with their contingent leader over carrying their national flag at the grand opening ceremony in New Delhi.

Sheikh Rashid, weightlifting team coach, told Dawn from New Delhi that Shujauddin Malik, who is a gold medallist in weightlifting, was to carry the flag and lead the national contingent at the opening ceremony at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium.

However, at the last moment, Muhammad Ali Shah, who heads the Pakistan contingent, said that he would be carrying the nation flag.

Weightlifting team members felt slighted and they insisted that the national flag must be carried by Shujauddin. This led to a verbal altercation between the weightlifters and Shah.

Shah refused to hand over the national flag and led the contingent at the opening ceremony, Dawn quoted Rashid as saying.

The coach said that the players participated in the opening ceremony just for national dignity.

Rashid said: 'However, my players will not feature in events and will come back unless Mr.Shah apologises to the contingent.'

He added that several other athletes and Indian officials were witness to the spat between them and Shah.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

they were fighting during the march past.
vish_mulay
BRFite

Post by vish_mulay »

Someone asked for Army bands tune. Its Deh Siva Bar Mohe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zso6s79rw7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa7frloKmVQ

Watch the second clip. It always brings tears to my eyes. Bole so Nihal Sat Shri Akal.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

read that bharat bala was the creative director of the event, no wonder it was a fine one.
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

Rahul M wrote:they were fighting during the march past.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Pakis, Pakis, Pakis...where would the humour ( and terrorism) for Desh come without them?
sampat
BRFite

Post by sampat »

Murugan wrote:Bhartiya Sanskriti Everywhere
It was surprising! I couldn't believe it. How could this act got passed! Perhaps, everyone was so busy in making moolah that no one cared to check if opening ceremony meets P-sec agenda. First RJB and now this, Barkha didi must be weeping.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

It was indeed an awesome opening ceremony. Now in most such events the closing ceremony is usually the one which stands out, so I'm really waiting for that one, if it surpasses this display then... :)

I'm also glad that the mango Delhite showed more understanding than some folks whose posts I've been reading. :mrgreen:

Thus they booed that idiot Kalmadi but cheered Abdul Kalam. They also gave the Indian contingent a standing ovation and went wild during the wonderful performance.

Methinks they understood that this is about India and not about the political grouping in power which is just an accident of electoral politics in India - afterall the bid to host the event was made and won by Vajpayee. He surely didn't know who would be in power in seven year's time.

To wish for an failure in the hope that that would hurt the UPA is, sad to say, akin to cutting your nose to spite your face. (The darker explanation I can think of is that it's simply an agenda driven wish).

Sometimes even the most obvious things can become fud...

PS: The Gora commentator, in the feed I was watching, was initially very condescending and trying hard to hide it. However, as the event progressed it was pretty evident he was getting amazed. What made my day was one comment he let slip. To paraphrase, he said: "When compared to the Beijing Olympics Games opening event, this may not be as synchronized but the performances have a heart and that's what matters!"

I couldn't agree more. When the camera was panning on the individual performers' faces you could see how much they were enjoying themselves. That, in my opinion, is what this should be all about. Contrast that to the tense looks and grim faces of most of the performers in Beijing.

The smile and wonder in the eyes of that young tabla prodigy as he was playing said it all.

And Oh yes that Gora commentator had a PYT Indian as his accompanying anchor. Towards the end she spontaneously said, "This makes me proud to be an Indian."

I couldn't agree more and I'm sure every single jingo here feels the same. :-)
Last edited by amit on 04 Oct 2010 13:07, edited 2 times in total.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

sum wrote:
Rahul M wrote:they were fighting during the march past.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Pakis, Pakis, Pakis...where would the humour ( and terrorism) for Desh come without them?
Great I see others noticed it too. The only contingent which came out in such an unruly manner. The idiots didn't even realise that you have to march behind the flag bearer in order to give respect to your flag. (Silly me, they respect only one flag and that ain't their country's flag, right?)

On another note, I really liked the fact that the PYT leading the Indian contingent was in a dress from the North-east and not in a saree or salwar.
kittoo
BRFite

Re: Issues faced by Commonwealth Games-New Delhi 2010

Post by kittoo »

manju wrote:Wonder who choreographed the event where hundred of drummers, table player etc where invovled .....

it was excellent..
I read somewhere that Shyam Benegal was the main guy behind the ceremony. Though he probably did not choreograph it.
pradeepe
BRFite
Location: Our culture is different and we cannot live together - who said that?

Post by pradeepe »

Caught the later half only :((
Very nice opening ceremony. Brought out the vibrance of our culture very very well.

Difference between multiple plastic surgery induced stiff/constipated smile vs from the bottom of the heart laughter. No lip synching nonsense. Folks thoroughly enjoying it not having to worry about a leeducashion/bullet in head if he/she were to trip up a bit here and there.

Now lets hope our squad picks up a lot of medals and for a dhamaka closing ceremony.
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Hey, sleeping on the job gents! :rotfl:

This should have been posted here a long time ago. Let me do the honours!
Commonwealth Games 2010 were declared open on October 3, Sunday amidst much fanfare. But the dazzling inaugural ceremony proved insufficient to hide the disappointment of the Indian sports enthusiasts.
The media personnel had a tough time while reporting the opening ceremony as they were given small seats where it was impossible to use their cameras and laptops. The spectators could not capture this once-in-a-lifetime-moment as they were not allowed to carry cameras to the venue.
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

OK here's an interesting snippet.
Predictably, the biggest cheer came when the Indian team brought up the rear of the athletes’ parade, though there was also a warm reception for the English team suitably attired in Indian long shirts, or kurta. It was a nice gesture to the Indian hosts, but one that was also borne out of financial necessity. With no main sponsor to pay for expensive parade wear, the costumes were sourced locally in New Delhi by England chef de mission Craig Hunter at a knockdown price.
:D
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Words of wisdom from a young head
Among the early arrivals, Ishant Shankatawari, 16, told The Australian he had travelled 10 hours by car from his Himalayan boarding school in Mussoorie to witness the biggest sporting event India has ever hosted.

"I am filled with patriotic feeling and want to support my country," the excited teenager said, adding that he was disappointed at the corruption exposed in the lead-up to the event, but believed the next generation would learn from the current leaders' errors.

"We were not well prepared, but all these things are teaching us to become perfect," he said.

"It's just 60 years since India's independence but we are already the seventh largest economy and second largest population. We have survived so many forces against us - Maoists, Pakistan and Punjabi separatists - but we did not give up."
If a 16 year old can think like this, there's hope folks.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

i watched the whole thing live and i have to say, immediately the show began i found myself saying "Jai Hind!" - it was going to be good. And I was not dissapointed. Every bit of the opening ceremony - including the speeches was great (ok, maybe not kalmadi's grovelling to madameji...) but it was a fantastic performance by all concerned. In the middle of the post parade cultural show i found myself saying "take that you f***ng paquis!" - sorry, couldn't help it!! :)
had tears in my eyes for most of it, a really good start to the games
looking forward to the competition now - a few hours ago, saw the Indian lawn bowls team kicking some Aussie musharraf - suddenly, I love lawn bowling! (hope they won!?!)
press commentary around the world has been very good too, so far so good - lets keep an eye out for the paqui terrorists and deliver a good games, (lets hope its a catalyst for political change in India)
then we'll get onto corruption and better drains

and for those counterwhiners on here on the topic of goras pointing out that India is a dirty place - why is it so hard for Indians to see it themselves and clean up? don't Indians deserve to live well?

p.s. the paquis were fighting because their flagbearer got usurped by a politician who wanted to carry the flag himself

p.p.s. the AR Rahman song was perfectly fine, what did we expect - some sort of masterpiece? besides, the dancer babes were very hot! :twisted:
Ambar
BRF Oldie

Post by Ambar »

Bravo! Bravo! I doubt if such a grandiose will ever be matched let alone surpassed in future 'Commonwealth Games' by any other nation.Considering all the heartbreaking bad press and challenges,we pulled off a brilliant job! Kudos! I am glad the Olympic association president was also at the venue,our next target should be to host the Olympics within 2025.

The only chinks that i could pick out of such a magnificent ceremony are this :

a) Crowd turnout was disappointing. Middle sections of several grandstands remained vacant.
b) Although we don't need a commie styled discipline and co-ordination,i think the closeup shots displayed the lack of cohesiveness among artists (esp the younger ones).
c) I sincerely hope the desi commentators audio feed was not being beamed outside India."Malawi is the least developed country in Africa"? Do we really need to air such stuff on live TV with international audience?

(PS: Thankfully, Two of India's favorite pastime, Bollywood and Cricket were conspicuously missing from much of the opening ceremony!).

Overall, the sheer scale and brilliance of the ceremony exceeded my every expectation.Now for some gold medals!
Tamang
BRFite

Post by Tamang »

abhishek_sharma
BRF Oldie

Post by abhishek_sharma »

That kid Keshava is great!!
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

disha ji, the video in james sahab's post would lead you to all the segments of the ceremony.

ambar sahab, the grand stands were used by the contingents, in a departure from past practices they were given pride of place so that they could enjoy the show. since they were moving about some of the seats were temporarily empty.
James B
BRF Oldie

Post by James B »

India won its first medals. One silver and bronze in women's 48kg category.
jagga
BRFite

Post by jagga »

Pakistan praises Delhi opening ceremony

Pure's must be buring with jealousy. No opening ceremony for abdul's :lol:
Pakistan heaped praise on New Delhi's organisation of the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony on Monday despite a television blackout of the spectacular event.
Here's the gem. They are trying to join themselves with future(potential) Delhi olympics, under the disguise of subcontinent. :((
"When IOC (International Olympic Committee) president Jacques Rogge is saying that India has emerged as a contender to host the Olympics then it's a big thing for the sub-continent and this ceremony will go a long way to achieving that.
PS: They need some leeducation here, Its Indian Sub-Continent
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

jagga wrote:Pakistan praises Delhi opening ceremony

Pure's must be buring with jealousy. No opening ceremony for abdul's :lol:
Pakistan heaped praise on New Delhi's organisation of the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony on Monday despite a television blackout of the spectacular event.
Wow, they actually had a TV blackout of the ceremony? Well why should I be surprised, they didn't want to corrupt the pure Abduls with a 5,000 year old culture.
Lalmohan
BRF Oldie

Post by Lalmohan »

^^^ every effort must be made to beam repeats of the ceremony into paquesssstannn... via all available channels and media
amit
BRF Oldie

Post by amit »

Lalmohan wrote:^^^ every effort must be made to beam repeats of the ceremony into paquesssstannn... via all available channels and media
LalMullah ji,

Couldn't agree with you more. The great compilation by James of the Youtube clips should come in handy! :twisted:
Sagrawal
BRFite

Post by Sagrawal »

so what does Mr. Mani Shankar Aiyar has to say about the openings, I am sure he is hiding somewhere in Pureland.