As usual, when Pakistanis sense a 'strategic opening' they move. Its important to note that the 'strategic opening' does not have to be real, it may exist only in the Pakis mullah addled brain, but if he senses it, he will move. The strategic opening in this case was:
1. The US surrender in Afghanistan.
2. The bribes paid to Pak via UAE, SA & possibly world bank to ensure a few months of stability as the US washes its hands off of Afghanistan.
If India is to deter a further escalation of violence and leakage of that violence into heartland India, we need to dramatically over react, both kinetically and politically. Any offers of talks, peace etc. will only embolden the Pakis.
Any culling of cannon fodder on the LOC or the IB does not matter, because the mullah is always happy to sacrifice someone else's son in Jihad.
In my mind, we need to:
1. Hit the elite (civil, military and bureaucrats) in Pakistan who run the Jihad factory.
2. Give some sort of finality to the Kashmir issue. 370/35A that were once concessions to an untrusting local populace have become causal factors for instability because it gives a patina of truthfulness to the Paki claim that Kashmir is a dispute. Kashmir is just like any other state, now that the blood of so many Indian patriots is mixed in that soil.
3. India should start working on a war footing to develop a capability to hurt Pak using water. Withdrawing from the IWT while we dont have a capability to actually restrict the water does not achieve much, except give an occasion to meddlesome parties to interfere.
4. Hold hearings on imposing Sanctions on Huawei and ZTE. These companies are intimately connected to the PLA, and it is the PLA that is shielding the Pakis in the UN with their veto.
5. Demand that twitter, reddit, youtube, facebook ... silicon valley companies do more to restraint the jihad mania.
I have a lingering suspicion that the west has decided to use the Uighurs & the Huis against China and Pak is willing to be the condom, for the right price, as usual.