LCA News and Discussions

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Re: LCA News and Discussions

Post by SaiK »

just like unkill, we need self destruct system built for important circuitry especially when we export it.

mission computer
radar systems
other electronics
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

Vishal Jolapara wrote:My Personal Favorite Tejas shot of the entire trip, KH2005 heads for the Blue

Amazing shot Vishal. Thanks for sharing. :D
sum
BRF Oldie

Post by sum »

“We wanted a base in Mongolia to give us greater reach in the region. But with an air-to-air refueller and better aircraft (with us), the need is not imminent,” said the official on condition of anonymity.
Would assume that this is just a story spun to explain our standing down in front of Chinese pressure ( Chankian reason in BR speak)
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

It is always good to buy time, when you want to mature with focus on our doctrine., but at the same time let the real enemy be not aware of what it matters most for us in the near and future.
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

FINALLY..... been waiting for over a year for this.. :)

Would have liked it a little earlier... but would prefer it to be safer than earlier.
Anuj A
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Anuj A »

The article says that the N-LCA will be flying with the IN MIG-29ks by 2014, but surely this isn't correct- it is too soon, IAF LCA has taken years to test. Also is the N-LCA based on LCA MkI or MkII? as it seems pointless for IN to induct the lacking MkI if IAF is going to have all theirs MkII in the future.

+ can anyone tell me will MkI (including N-LCA) and MkII BOTH come with HMD as standard? And if so which one- TOPSIGHT-I ?
RonyKJ
BRFite

Post by RonyKJ »

Folks, like to liven up this thread a little at my own expense of being ridiculed.
I have a "brilliant" idea.
Why not modify one of the LSP's so that it can be flown pilotless ?
The immediate use of this would be that it can be used then to test spin recovery.

So what do we need to make the LCA a drone?
We need s/w that can take all the inputs from sensors and then issue commands to the
control surfaces. The unstable LCA already does that. So we need s/w that sits on top of that
and manages things like take-off and landings and can be controlled from the ground.
We need actuators to replace all that the pilot currently does.

So what do you think?
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Breapers will ask you to take this to the newbie or design your fighter a/c thread

Btw CJ ji can be of some help, not sure if his contacts with ADA are as good as his with IA
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Rony ji that idea was discussed long time back
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

@30k ft, aura is declassified. take it to ucav thread though.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Btw blore it/vity folks/golfers any flights of the bird of late ? Since Tarmak stopped blogging i am having symptoms of "Advanced Light" Withdrawal syndrome :D. Mid-May has also come, pray someone flies the LSP6/7/8 not bothered about the NP1
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

suryag wrote:Breapers will ask you to take this to the newbie or design your fighter a/c thread

Btw CJ ji can be of some help, not sure if his contacts with ADA are as good as his with IA
If you are talking about LCA as a drone then Indian Light Combat Aircraft could be converted as UCAV

At the same time, ADA has not gone for that as the task is not to convert LCA as a UAV, but to "make a UAV" that serves the purpose.
Sid
BRFite

Post by Sid »

suryag wrote:Btw blore it/vity folks/golfers any flights of the bird of late ? Since Tarmak stopped blogging i am having symptoms of "Advanced Light" Withdrawal syndrome :D. Mid-May has also come, pray someone flies the LSP6/7/8 not bothered about the NP1
++1... we all are having same symptoms.

No progress reported on LSP MKII as well? MMR updates/integrated HMDS/guided AAM test?

where are these chai walas when you need them.
Gurneesh
BRFite

Post by Gurneesh »

Some good Info...

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/ ... el=defense
.................. ............

Next month, Tejas is due to undergo a second phase of night trials and, if the systems perform as advertised, it will be cleared for night attack, a crucial requirement to achieve full operational clearance (FOC) as a day/night, all-weather platform by December 2012.

The Tejas recently began its first phase of night attack trials. The fifth limited-series-production aircraft (LSP‑5), in the final Mk.1 configuration that includes a night-vision-capable cockpit, was used in six night flights in which test pilots conducted mock targeting and attack drills to test simulated avionics and integration of weapons and sensors. The aircraft’s modified ELTA Systems multimode radar and Rafael Litening pod were both tested during the flights.

Following the first six tests last month, India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) said, “The preliminary results indicate that the integrated system performed very well, meeting the requirements of night operations. The flights also tested the helmet-mounted display system [Elta DASH] and instrument landing system.”

In the next few months, Tejas platforms will fire air-to-ground munitions such as cluster weapons, laser-guided bombs and S-8 rocket pods against still and moving targets. Rafael’s Derby beyond-visual-range missile is expected to be a standard on the Tejas, with trials scheduled a year from now. Reports suggest a contract could be signed shortly. In its final Mk.1 configuration, the air force also expects the Tejas to be fully capable of deploying Kh-59-series stand-off strike weapons and Kh-35/31 antiship missiles.

suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Thanks AW, all rakshaks have been waiting for this for long. I read and reread it twice to feel better and quench my thirst for updates on the tejas. Hope we get done with wake penetration tests quickly and start formation flying. Phew what a long drawn process this has been to get this bird into service. The report however didnt broach upon production updates specifically w.r.t LSP6/7/8/SP1/2 first flight. It also doesnt talk about the integration of weapons with the radar and the litening pod. It also doesnt talk about the cannon. We need a Hari Nair equivalent on this forum. NatGeo/Vishnu som should probably come up with a new series on the journey since 2009.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Come Mid-June we can look forward to a website for Tejas from its makers then, until that we might have to wait for inaccurate/inadequate press releases.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

Suryag, The AW article says LGBs yet to be tested on LCA. That means the Chitradurg trial bullseye was with a dumb bomb!
So far, the Tejas has only conducted live drops of gravity bombs and Vympel R-73 (AA-11 Archer) short-range air-to-air missiles. Strike profiles are being tested at the DRDO’s new bombing range outside Bengaluru...
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

cool. dumb bombs delivered with so much accuracy!

precision guided munition should not be that difficult.
ramana
Forum Moderator

Post by ramana »

SaiK, It adds a lot of oomph to the LCA that dumb bombs can be delivered with such precision. Makes all their dumb bombs quite valuable. The difference between area and point targets gets blurred.

Read the comments of the PLA colonel in the China Mil watch thread.

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 5#p1095995
kidoman
BRFite

Post by kidoman »

Saw Tejas practising manoeuvres today while on my way to office.Was so busy adoring it , that it took 2-3 honks from behind to get me going when the signal turned green at the Kundanhalli gate :) :)
ranjbe
BRFite

Post by ranjbe »

Found this recently. Not sure how valid the source is, but the article does summarize much of the comparisions between LCA and J17 on this and other threads.

Russia's Klimov offered a variant of the RD-33 turbofan engine to power the fighter. Russia earlier had denied China from transferring the engine to Pakistan as it was against Russian policy and India's interest, but later Russia had no issue in China supplying those engines to Pakistan for some reason. To international media they replied in diplomatic parlance, Chinese were in so hurry that they had not heard the last word from Russia on this subject.

Source: Pakistan's JF-17 V/S India's LCA-Tejas; Comparison With Latest Figures | The World Reporter: News Opinion and Analysis http://www.theworldreporter.com/2011/04 ... z1NUfxeLyj

Both India and Pakistan claim their aircraft as indigenous, but as on April 13, 2011 none of the aircraft is 100% indigenous as India is using american GE engine to power the fighter and Pakistan is using almost all the technology from China and engine from Russia in their version of the fighter

Source: Pakistan's JF-17 V/S India's LCA-Tejas; Comparison With Latest Figures | The World Reporter: News Opinion and Analysis http://www.theworldreporter.com/2011/04 ... z1NUhMoUAV
In India's LCA case: Airframe, Radar, Avionics, Cockpit, landing Gear, Ejection System, Flight Simulator, Software, Propulsion (when Kaveri will come) all are home made and not imported.

While India's plane has a unique and latest delta wing airframe, JF-17 is based on Soviet era's MiG 21 airframe. It is wrongly believed that the JF-17 airframe is based on MiG 29.

Source: Pakistan's JF-17 V/S India's LCA-Tejas; Comparison With Latest Figures | The World Reporter: News Opinion and Analysis http://www.theworldreporter.com/2011/04 ... z1NUgKy72P
http://www.theworldreporter.com/2011/04 ... tejas.html
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

The only people in the whole wide world who are interested in comparing the JF-17 with LCA Tejas are Pakistanis in mind or body. Like this person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V4waXZLxSE
Gaur
Forum Moderator

Post by Gaur »

shiv wrote:The only people in the whole wide world who are interested in comparing the JF-17 with LCA Tejas are Pakistanis in mind or body. Like this person
Err...is this some kind of piskological experiment? :-? I think most members know whose youtube channel that is. :mrgreen:
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Gaur wrote:
shiv wrote:The only people in the whole wide world who are interested in comparing the JF-17 with LCA Tejas are Pakistanis in mind or body. Like this person
Err...is this some kind of piskological experiment? :-? I think most members know whose youtube channel that is. :mrgreen:
Ask no questions and be told no lies. 8)
symontk
BRFite

Post by symontk »

kidoman wrote:Saw Tejas practising manoeuvres today while on my way to office.Was so busy adoring it , that it took 2-3 honks from behind to get me going when the signal turned green at the Kundanhalli gate :) :)
Heard two takeoffs at night too
Khalsa
BRFite

Post by Khalsa »

^^^^^^^
You lucky buggers to live where you live
nachiket
Forum Moderator

Post by nachiket »

Marten wrote:Around 8.30? Four of us tried spotting the a/c but couldn't! And we're right in the line of the runway!
Must be a stealth version of the Tejas. :twisted: :mrgreen:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

Must be desh made UFO /ot, but that traffic blocking is definitely something to take note of... I wonder why Rakesh bhai not named LCA to some hottie yet?
NRao
BRF Oldie

Post by NRao »

Ghar ki murgi ...................................

Besides the 17 is better.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

Tomorrow LCA news.
rajanb
BRFite

Post by rajanb »

Saw one number LCA heading south at about 10:40 :)
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

SaiK wrote:cool. dumb bombs delivered with so much accuracy!

precision guided munition should not be that difficult.
Isn't it one thing to drop bombs during tests and another to do so in combat ?
Singha
BRF Oldie

Post by Singha »

> Isn't it one thing to drop bombs during tests and another to do so in combat ?

release profiles have to be same for accuracy. CMDS can deploy countermeasures but for vital few secs the plane has to be steady I think.
Pratyush
BRF Oldie

Post by Pratyush »

jamwal wrote: Isn't it one thing to drop bombs during tests and another to do so in combat ?
In a way you are correct. But with Practice and familarity with equipment, it will not be that big difference.
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

chacko, even I can find the spelling errors.
chackojoseph
BRF Oldie

Post by chackojoseph »

SaiK, please mail me @ frontierindia at gmail
SidSom
BRFite

Post by SidSom »

LCA Tejas Smokewinders to be used for wake penetration trials
I thought I had seen news about Wake penetration testing and the system to video record the separation of stores from Tejas. (I remember a high speed camera being fitted onto Tejas so record this). Are these some new battery of tests or is it a repeat of what happened in Feb??