BR Forums Feedback

All threads that are locked or marked for deletion will be moved to this forum. The topics will be cleared from this archive on the 1st and 16th of each month.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Re: BR Forums Feedback

Post by Rahul M »

you were warned for a post on India china civilizational comparison, not the one you are referring to here. this came just a few posts after my previous request to members on the thread not to go OT.

as for disagreement with you (or anyone else for that mater) on what constitutes warning-worthy posts or dilution of mod power (what is that ? :mrgreen: ) let's just say I'm willing to take that risk. it's impossible to please everyone and I'm not going to try.
regards.
Viv Sreenivasan
BRFite -Trainee

Post by Viv Sreenivasan »

If you guys use warnings too much you will drive the more creative and intelligent users away from BR and will be left with a sanitised boring group who will lead to a major dumbing down at BR. Do you want that?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

well, for one I don't think we "use warnings too much" and the intelligent postors usually stay away from creating trouble or take the hint first time around.
anyway, I do think the records speak for themselves. the intelligent postors are what makes BR and it does look to me that the majority of them have stuck around.
nullifies your argument doesn't it ?
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

I agree. Warnings are a complete waste of time after the first one. Wastes about 15 minutes, filling out User Notes, Informing Postor, Counting the Hilals accumulated, Reporting the Action on another thread, yada yada yada, and then one has to put up with :(( :(( on the "Forum :(( :(( thread". "Warning" means "warning"... that ban is imminent if nonsense is repeated. Shouldn't be so hard to understand, and for sensible ppl, a warning means "riot police around, stay in the alleys for next few days", not "go to forum feedback thread and throw tantrums". I say ban if that happens.

Is Mr. Sreenivasan really one of the Buddhijeevis that one so aspires to meet, as he claims? WOW! AWESOME!

Almost as great as the one who claimed that aerodynamic force scales as speed^3, because his "advisor" had written a paper claiming so. Turned out that he could neither think for himself nor understand what was written in papers, his "expertise" consisted of random copy-paste from Google searches and memorized buzzwords with brain turned off. Couldn't take gentle hints to back off either.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

All ze intelligent peepul are leaving BRF. :((
shiv
BRF Oldie

Post by shiv »

Viv Sreenivasan wrote:If you guys use warnings too much you will drive the more creative and intelligent users away from BR and will be left with a sanitised boring group who will lead to a major dumbing down at BR. Do you want that?
This is the same warning made by a series of people on BRF from 1997. Some are still here some are not. Without meaning to be insulting, and unfairly using my experience as admin may I point out that such warnings usually come from people who are politely trying to say "You may lose me. Now think is that is good for you and BRF"

No can do viv. People who stay will stay. People who need to move on will move on.
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

To divert back to technical issues... Kartik, I heard that there was some new super-gyan on GTRE, Kaveri engine etc. Your suggestion to bring in the Real Gyan(ees) also says that there must be some interesting new developments, or at least :eek: statements/declarations. Spent half the morning searching for these threads, but got diverted by other stuff as usual. Where are these, pls?
a_bharat
BRFite

Post by a_bharat »

The India-China News and Discussion has been locked since Nov 22. Is this locked permanently, or the admins forgot to unlock it?
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

locked permanently.
RayC
BRF Oldie

Post by RayC »

I had taken a sabbatical since I was under fire for, as N3 says, for not being PC; not from the other Mods or Admins, but from the posters! Nothing wrong. I appreciate their concern for their views! Not that I agree. It is not a life and death issue. Let 100 flowers bloom! I give way to the younger children! They are our future!

I don't think one should take 'warnings' as some sort of an FIR lodged. It is just a helping hand of the said Mod.

If that is not kosher, it could always be reported!

Please do not ever feel that Mods are not under scrutiny!

I am proud that we, the Mods, are under scrutiny. That is democracy!
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

They forgot the key to that lock :mrgreen:
SaiK
BRF Oldie

Post by SaiK »

It feels so downgraded to read the BENIS language in almost all threads including LCA, etc. :|
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

SaiK wrote:It feels so downgraded to read the BENIS language in almost all threads including LCA, etc. :|
Totally agree. As they would say "Thij ij a bain in da musharraf" :mrgreen:
BijuShet
BRFite

Post by BijuShet »

SaiK wrote:It feels so downgraded to read the BENIS language in almost all threads including LCA, etc. :|
and You Also posted in the Food and Wine thread the following:
SaiK wrote:met a firangi ole lady in the lift and we lift off,
okay.. lets go and make some money today!
I said, sounds like a good plan.
.. she was aroused by the aroma from the near by kitchen that traveled till about 5th floor...
mm, the bacon/...mean the eggs smelling is really soo good!..
I was like...otay!....yeeeeeeeeaah. thanks, she had to get off at 3rd floor for a good money making day.

wondering: similar to that moral values "thadguy" post in nukkad by Rahul M, does this apply to food too?

what is smelling and correct to one's senses is not necessarily morally correct and smelling great for entirely another person who may be coming from a different culture and place.

along with language, religion etc, food takes an important position in cultural and moral values building in a society.

/advanced apologies to all non-veggies!
I cannot make head and tail of your above post. I reread it three times to comprehend your post. You have written in plain english and yet the whole post is worse than any other post written in Benis bhasha. People who live in glass house do not cast stones at others saar.
Rishi
Forum Moderator

Post by Rishi »

:mrgreen:
enqyoob
BRF Oldie

Post by enqyoob »

Wasn't it the Lawd MacAulay of PooBah (an illiterate flunky himself) who said that Sanskrit was an illegible scrawl and incoherent mumble by illiterate brown naked savages?

The great languages of the Duniya have always encountered such underappreciative commentators, and shrugged them off, much as a camel shrugs off lice falling from a jehadi's beard. AllahoAkbar!
Nayak
BRF Oldie

Post by Nayak »

BijuShet wrote:
I cannot make head and tail of your above post. I reread it three times to comprehend your post. You have written in plain english and yet the whole post is worse than any other post written in Benis bhasha. People who live in glass house do not cast stones at others saar.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would love to add to your post but that would be like inviting a airstrike for taking a leak in the no fly zone.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

biju ji, you always were a brave soul ! :wink:
AdityaM
BRF Oldie

Post by AdityaM »

Lets say one wishes to 'educate' another person with topics such as
"Why Pakistan/India are not equal equal as victims of terror"
"Why China is source of secutiry concern to india"
"Why China is not keen on solving the border dispute just yet"
"What is wrong with USAs af-pak policy"

People generally have a lot of mig-givings and misconceptions and it will be great to have a ready reckoner of useful links/ arguments that can be easily lookedup/referred to.
Can we have a Thread solely dedicated to providing relevant links touching diverse topics so that one can refer to them.

More like a concentrate rather than the diiluted juice that other threads become.
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

AdityaM wrote:Lets say one wishes to 'educate' another person with topics such as
"Why Pakistan/India are not equal equal as victims of terror"
"Why China is source of secutiry concern to india"
"Why China is not keen on solving the border dispute just yet"
"What is wrong with USAs af-pak policy"

People generally have a lot of mig-givings and misconceptions and it will be great to have a ready reckoner of useful links/ arguments that can be easily lookedup/referred to.
Can we have a Thread solely dedicated to providing relevant links touching diverse topics so that one can refer to them.

More like a concentrate rather than the diiluted juice that other threads become.
Aditya,
I think the first post of every TSP thread is a great source of links to tell people about paki perfidy. Thats a good starting place imo.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Mods, can we have a separate thread for Military Trivia? A thread where anybody should be able to put forward questions and people should answer honestly without referring to any sources. It'll be a great source for knowledge without having to read through entire articles. Just an idea i thought i should share.
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

n00b corner and military misc thread was created for this very purpose.
Dmurphy
BRFite

Post by Dmurphy »

Rahul M wrote:n00b corner and military misc thread was created for this very purpose.
I see. But the Misc thread can be very descriptive and at the same time can come to a standstill on one topic.

The thread I'm talking about will be very dynamic and the questions could keep changing every hour or so which would keep people wanting to visit the thread every now and then.

Anyway, it was just a passing thought. :-?
Jamal K. Malik
BRFite

Post by Jamal K. Malik »

Mods,
We have thread for history of Indian Army and IAF.
But no thread for Indian Naval history.
Can we start one with this post.

The President releases Naval History Book
Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M »

sure, go ahead.
K Mehta
BRFite

Post by K Mehta »

http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... f=2&t=4991

since the National ID project is not a card, can the title be changed to "National Unique ID project"
krishnan
BRF Oldie

Post by krishnan »

Rahul M wrote:sure, go ahead.
Maybe the mods can merge the three threads into one, and name it something like "The Indian Tri Service History Thread" or something.

JMS
Jagan
Webmaster BR

Post by Jagan »

krishnan wrote:
Rahul M wrote:sure, go ahead.
Maybe the mods can merge the three threads into one, and name it something like "The Indian Tri Service History Thread" or something.

JMS

No. they are fine as they are - seperate.
suryag
Forum Moderator

Post by suryag »

Hello are there any bay area meets during dec20-jan4 ?
negi
BRF Oldie

Post by negi »

May I know why was CTBT dhaga laaked ? :wink:
Prem Kumar
BRF Oldie

Post by Prem Kumar »

Same question here. I had been away for a couple of days and see that its locked today without notice. Request to re-open it, while remaining strict about keeping the discussion factual/logical without indulging in liar-liar name calling.
jamwal
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by jamwal »

Is it OK for members living near defence installations to post information about daily or unusual activities that happen there.
Virupaksha
BR Mainsite Crew

Post by Virupaksha »

is it possible to have page number links for the "active_topics" at the top? I use that page and almost never go directly to the forums as that page gives a wholistic view for me. The page number are present at the bottom, I would definitely like to have them at the top too.

Unrelated to above, If the jirga needs a java and other things programmer because of short of time, I would be gladly be willing to work.

Thanks
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

jamwal wrote:Is it OK for members living near defence installations to post information about daily or unusual activities that happen there.
I guess use of common sense is encouraged in such matters. Jingoism should be aligned with patriotism at all times.
niran
BRF Oldie

Post by niran »

Respected AdM
i had posted me post in LCA thread, but i find it in MRCA thread.
is it me getting senile? :P or it is AdM removing it there?
Prasad
BRF Oldie

Post by Prasad »

oops. wrong thread :oops:

--del--
sivabala
BRFite -Trainee

Post by sivabala »

A Suggestion:
When people quote part of other's post it just says, " 'the previous author' wrote:...."
It would be nice to have the quoted post's time stamp along with the aforementioned words. It is very difficult to find the original full message especially if the thread was a hot one and the original post was a few days old.
Thx.
archan
Forum Moderator

Post by archan »

^^ good point, wonder if the forum software has that facility. I have also seen in some places, posts are numbered, so if someone quotes post #15 on a 30 page long thread, one knows it is from page 1.
AjitK
BRFite

Post by AjitK »

Mods,can you change my username to Ajit?

Thanks.

P.S:Didn't want to disrupt any threads so posted here.
Last edited by Jagan on 20 Dec 2009 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ajit is taken, changed to AjitK
Rudradev
BRF Oldie

Post by Rudradev »

Responding to http://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewto ... 34#p792134
Rahul M wrote:
Honestly, I don't think any of Dhiman's posts on this thread merited a ban. What did he do? Criticize Israel? Since when is that against the rules here?
RD ji, may I know why you are 'imagining' some reason when the actual reason has been already given above in the post edits ?
I've no problems with posts criticizing israel (or even India for that matter) provided it is backed up by facts and logic.
at least, that's BR for me.
The reason given in the post edits has been "trolling" (and in one case, "yakyaking"). However, what has been left behind of Dhiman's posts (regardless of its merits in terms of logical argument) does not seem to constitute anything objectionable. And like it or not, that is what anyone coming to this discussion thread at a later point is going to see of it... what has been left behind.
As far as I can see, Dhiman has not engaged in trollish behaviour.
which is correct, because you cannot 'see' the trollish content anymore.those posts have been edited.
you were not there when the 'trolling' happened, so this taking a strong stand without knowing what happened is not justified IMO.
Well of course, my impression is going to be based on what I can see, not what has been edited out. So is anybody else's that comes along later, whether or not they share my opinions or choose to say anything about it.

And what I see on that thread is that one poster who expressed an opinion critical of Israel has been jumped by others who are pro-Israeli, not with rational arguments alone but with ad-hominem attacks as well. Yet, only the poster critical of Israel has had his posts edited and has eventually been banned outright (evidently without being accorded the usual process of official warnings). Whether or not that is an accurate impression, that is how it appears.

May I suggest that, when banning a poster for "trolling", it might make sense to do one of two things.

1) Leave the poster's "trollish" posts intact, so that they may serve as a justification for the ban, and also as an example to others of what kind of posts are not tolerated. This could be accompanied by a request to other posters not to respond further to what the banned person has said (in case they actually need to be told, which they shouldn't).

2) If the above alternative appears unseemly, then delete the entire discussion initiated by the banned poster, including posts responding to the alleged troll. If the whole thing was a flame-worthy bit of nonsense anyway, there's no sense in leaving any of it hanging around.

Either of the above approaches would avoid conveying the impression of any issue-based one-sidedness on the part of the Admins. I may be unjustified in assuming that such one-sidedness exists regarding the issue of Israel, but again, I was responding to the impression that I'm currently receiving on that thread.

Note : if you have problems with my moderation you are free to approach any other mod or the site owner. in case you have a reply I would appreciate if you can put it in forum feedback thread, I'll do likewise then.
I don't have problems with any moderator's actions in general, and whenever I've had problems or questions in a particular instance I have raised them, as here.